• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NAFTA and supply management

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NAFTA and supply management

Just read an article about on CBC website about western grain farmers concerned about what it will cost to protect supply management. I know lots on here would like to see the end of supply management and believe this would lead to cheaper milk prices. I would argue that we would still pay more for milk in Canada. I will use the prices to consumers for beef as an example. Took a quick look at grocery flyers online from the US and Canada. In the US boneless top sirloin grilling steaks $3.99 usd. In Canada Same sirloin grilling steak $7.99 cad. Even when you convert the American price to Canadian dollars it is still roughly only $5.10 cad per pound, still 2.89 a pound cheaper. No supply management in beef and yet we pay over 50% more. Not a bit surprised.

Eliminating s.m. will not lower prices to the consumer. There is no line up of farmers willing to start dairy production. Milking 2 or 3 times per day. I bet nowadays there isn't one cattle farmer without a camera in the calving barn.

Comment

Originally posted by binthere View Post
      Eliminating s.m. will not lower prices to the consumer. There is no line up of farmers willing to start dairy production. Milking 2 or 3 times per day. I bet nowadays there isn't one cattle farmer without a camera in the calving barn.
      Without a camera in the calving barn LOL? A lot of today's successful beef cattlemen don't have, or use, a calving barn.

Comment

Been 20 years since the farm had cattle so am out of touch...what do they use for calving now?

Comment

Bibthere you all had better take an upgrade, they robot milk nowadays, just go out to check computer to see if everyone came in for milking, auto fed auto barn cleaners, Gone are the days of pulling fits, by manual lab or. As for calving barns and cameras there is a lot less without than with. Thanks to supply management they can afford the toys for the milk barns.If quota wasn't so high there would be lots lining up for milking cows, you don't see any old antiquated eqgipt on milk ,or chicken farms.

Comment

Originally posted by binthere View Post
            There were over 100 people applying for the lottery for 2 positions in the new entrant program the last time they held it here. 100s more were interested but couldn't get a bank interested in gambling on a bad bet. There is absolutely a line up. Not to mention hundreds of existing producers with room already in place to milk 20-30% more cows overnight

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
            • Return to Topic List
            Working...