• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Harvest Meals

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Harvest Meals

So we are in full swing harvest and my wife is busy keeping us fed. She has been saying that she is running out unique meal ideas for the field. I keep telling her we are not picky, as long as the bucket is full the men are happy, but that's not good enough for her. She loves to cook and takes pride in her meals.

So my question to everyone is what makes up your harvest/seeding meals? What kind of different and delicious things do your cooks prepare for you? What are your favorites?

On behalf of my wife thanks for the input!
    Have a happy and safe harvest!

PS my wife's meals are fantastic and I don't think she needs to change a thing, but try telling her that.

For the haying season here my wife or mother have been bringing out homemade milkshakes or floats every afternoon and that has been awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by RedLentil View Post
      So we are in full swing harvest and my wife is busy keeping us fed. She has been saying that she is running out unique meal ideas for the field. I keep telling her we are not picky, as long as the bucket is full the men are happy, but that's not good enough for her. She loves to cook and takes pride in her meals.

So my question to everyone is what makes up your harvest/seeding meals? What kind of different and delicious things do your cooks prepare for you? What are your favorites?

On behalf of my wife thanks for the input!
      Have a happy and safe harvest!

PS my wife's meals are fantastic and I don't think she needs to change a thing, but try telling her that.
      I prefer grazing over actual meals in the field. Lots of hard-boiled eggs, cut up cheese, cold meat chunks, fruits and veggies in the fridge and just take some of each in a cooler for the day.

Comment

Always been sandwiches only. Never did shut down to eat. Cook's now in palliative care anyway. Not any help but I can tell you Stagg chili gets old fast. Buy the beanless stuff and dont forget to pitch a spoon in the lunchpail along with the bread.

Comment

Only 2 if us.so wife makes extra food and freezes it in Tupper ware plates..containers.
          Soups..chicken fettucine..slices of pizza..spaghetti and meatballs..and of course some chocolate stuff..
          Hardly ever have sandwiches..
          I microwave it between truck loads..

Comment

My wife has been making flat bread tortillas lately. Makes them larger than regular tortillas then fills them with pretty much anything and wraps them in tin foil so they stay warm and are easy to eat. Ham/bacon, scrambled eggs and cheese is a hit, but you can do taco style, or sliced up roast beef or steak with fried potatoes. Basically they are large wraps that you can freeze and quickly thaw out and fill with whatever you're stomach desires.

Bless her heart she always brings out a cold beer as well. A combine supper beer is probably my favorite kind of beer!

Comment

One night a harvest week is fried chicken in the field with a beer. Hardly anything tastes better. The chicken is oven fried with loads of butter.

Instead if sandwiches, I like a whole wheat wrap with thin roast beef layered with various.

A good snack is hard boiled eggs that have been sitting in pickle juice (we save the juice after pickles are done).

Carrot cake with cream cheese icing is a must have.

I had to let out my belt a notch just talking about this subject. Damn!

Comment

You guys sure need a lot of energy to run equipment! What do you eat if you do any physical work, a side of beef? No wonder when I go to trade shows there's so many fat farmers!

Comment

Originally posted by woodland View Post
                  For the haying season here my wife or mother have been bringing out homemade milkshakes or floats every afternoon and that has been awesome.
                  We love milkshakes too and beatniks, perogies or cabbage rolls. For lunch, my wife packs me wraps and garden veggies. The rotisserie on the barbeque is great for beef roasts. We have lots of fresh gardeb vegetables so we get lots of them.

Comment

Originally posted by foragefarmer View Post
                    You guys sure need a lot of energy to run equipment! What do you eat if you do any physical work, a side of beef? No wonder when I go to trade shows there's so many fat farmers!
                    That's awesome. And yes, farmers appear to be one of the most unhealthy demographic ever! Don't know how some make it up the ladder to that extra wide seat.

Comment

Originally posted by tweety View Post
                      That's awesome. And yes, farmers appear to be one of the most unhealthy demographic ever! Don't know how some make it up the ladder to that extra wide seat.
                      You are just a jealous birdbrain!

Comment

I've said it before.... the older I get the less tolerance I have for a poor diet. A move more to "real" food.

And the more I'm "sitting around" on machinery, the lighter I eat the better I feel. Not alot of added salt and remarkably less sugar than I used to consume. We also try NOT to live on cold-cuts during our busy season.... we eat some but not a steady diet. It's all easy when you have someone willing to help out with the meals. I think we eat like Royalty around here.... I'm satisfied anyway.

Beer would just make me sleepier than I already can be from long fatuiging hours. Not good for me.

Comment

Never stop here to eat, food on the go, sandwich and bottled water. No alcohol allowed here when operating machinery. I agree on the comment about eating too much, after all, U are sitting on your ass for 16 hrs a day, need to watch the food intake. Not much time to get a jog in during harvest.

Comment

I still have our dinner delivered by my two parents. Mom loves to cook and dad comes out to see how its going. He doesn't run a machine any more.

Dinner is main meal and for supper we have sandwiches dropped off in late afternoon by them to put in the fridges and are eaten on go. Usually with strait cut we are done by 8 or 9. So if someone is really hungry they eat when all get back to main yard.

Fridges are full with drinks etc and storage compartments have what ever the driver likes to snack on from peanuts hotrods bars what ever they ask for when we make the costco run before harvest. Each morning the driver goes to the farm house and takes what he thinks he would like to snack on all day.

Then on weekends its delivered from town, Chicken, pizza, Chinese food etc.

Comment

Back in the day meals in the field was a big deal but we moved away from stopping years ago and went to Tupperware plates dropped at the combines and trucks and just ate on the go. However in the past year and this year I have more teenagers working in the picture and we stop for a bit until university and high school starts up. As the quarterback I need to make sure everybody is ok and on the same page. A 15-20 stop doesn't hurt either. Beef stew, roast pork with fresh made apple sauce, fried chicken and roast beef are great. The odd pizza from town is ok too. Homemade burgers can be eaten on the go in Sept.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.