Here comes 2017 Harvest

Crop Production & Forage

Tools

Here comes 2017 Harvest

Aug 7, 2017 | 13:55 1 Next week is heating up by the looks of the forecast so sharpen the sickles. Reply With Quote
Aug 7, 2017 | 14:10 2 and fill up the water truck Reply With Quote
Aug 7, 2017 | 15:43 3 If the weather holds even canola swathing will start here.

We just finished half of our barley. Results astounding at 109 bushels per acre for the field. The rest of the barley won't do quite that but still looks good. Quality looks good but only the mystical vom test will tell for sure. Reply With Quote
Aug 7, 2017 | 17:17 4
Quote Originally Posted by Braveheart View Post
If the weather holds even canola swathing will start here.

We just finished half of our barley. Results astounding at 109 bushels per acre for the field. The rest of the barley won't do quite that but still looks good. Quality looks good but only the mystical vom test will tell for sure.
There is going to be some monster sized yields in Mb. Likely will see 75 -80 spring wheat, 100 barley, 55-65 canola. Oats might not be as big. I've missed most the rains for the last 40 days but still expecting average here. Beans and corn will need rains here for filling, but forecast not positive. I'm still thinking an early frost could wipe out a big swath of corn and beans in Mb late this month. Reply With Quote
Partners's Avatar Aug 7, 2017 | 17:34 5 No doubt..MB crops looked amazing when we were there. Reply With Quote
Aug 7, 2017 | 21:28 6 Will be some big pea crops aswell Reply With Quote
farmaholic's Avatar Aug 7, 2017 | 21:41 7 Comments like that are just depressing me here in the Slum of the Ghetto......

Some of your guys' average yeilds are likely what my last year's stellar yeilds were , in my eyes and experience for here.

$2000/ac........HA! Gotta wonder if some of this year's yeilds here will pay the rent or interest on the mortgage after expenses.

Peas....27ish! (In the bin estimate and I won't be far off). Reply With Quote
Aug 7, 2017 | 21:44 8 Wow! This all sounds strange to me but our canola is still flowering. Hope it doesn't snow and stick around the first week of August or else there won't be any combining to worry about in our neck of the woods. Hoping for about two thirds of normal if it makes it due to flooding and mudding it in this spring. Reply With Quote
farmaholic's Avatar Aug 7, 2017 | 22:03 9 Desiccating wheat with the swather today (yeah yeah yeah.....I know, we'll leave the swathing versus straight cutting debate for another day). What a pile of fluff! Pretty ripe and the heads pointing straight up.....not a single sign of a fusarium infected head, even in the few "good" low spots with decent moisture. A report of some winter wheat in the area running 20! I find that hard to beleive, I'm hoping our HRS does about one and a half times that! HOPING!

Looking for a job this winter...SF3's golf caddy, baggage handler and condo(house) keeper, cocktail mixer.... Reply With Quote
farmaholic's Avatar Aug 7, 2017 | 22:37 10
Quote Originally Posted by Braveheart View Post
If the weather holds even canola swathing will start here.

We just finished half of our barley. Results astounding at 109 bushels per acre for the field. The rest of the barley won't do quite that but still looks good. Quality looks good but only the mystical vom test will tell for sure.
More crazy talk.... you mean the "100% repeatable accuracy" or at the very least, "tolerable minimal difference" "vom test"

Careful Braveheart.... you'll be labelled! Reply With Quote
Aug 7, 2017 | 23:09 11 It is amazing there is anything left of this crop, with the heat and winds every day. We'll be glad to have this one behind us nice dry, not diseased, not needing a dryer. 😂 Reply With Quote
helmsdale's Avatar Aug 7, 2017 | 23:19 12
Quote Originally Posted by farmaholic View Post
Comments like that are just depressing me here in the Slum of the Ghetto......

Some of your guys' average yeilds are likely what my last year's stellar yeilds were , in my eyes and experience for here.

$2000/ac........HA! Gotta wonder if some of this year's yeilds here will pay the rent or interest on the mortgage after expenses.

Peas....27ish! (In the bin estimate and I won't be far off).
Peas and lentils done. 21-22bu/a.c on both. Started into mustard tonight. Going a monstrous 7 and change. Half my wheat has me a little worried. Other half is gonna have to pay a lot of bills... Reply With Quote
farmaholic's Avatar Aug 8, 2017 | 05:39 13 What the hell, Helmsdale.....they open another Ghetto? Ghetto farming can be a challenge.

Contact me at farma@Ghetto-farming.nfg Reply With Quote
Aug 8, 2017 | 06:21 14 Farma LOL!

4.5 tenths last night biggest rain in 2 months. might help canola Reply With Quote
Aug 8, 2017 | 06:30 15 Yes Farma, I said it, Vom test. Unfortunately, here in southern MB, vom is always lurking.

Beer drinkers want their suds to stay in the bottle until it crosses the lips. Pigs like feed they don't puke up minutes after eating. So hopefully the barley ducked fusarium this year and both Bud drinkers and Berkshires are happy.

Winter wheat already done in our area and testing zero for vomitoxin. Reply With Quote
farmaholic's Avatar Aug 8, 2017 | 06:47 16 Braveheart....any test result above zero is questionable...lol. of course that isn't completely true because any test result of zero is also suspect. ....because ANY vom test result is open for debate. Reply With Quote
Aug 8, 2017 | 07:59 17
Quote Originally Posted by helmsdale View Post
Peas and lentils done. 21-22bu/a.c on both. Started into mustard tonight. Going a monstrous 7 and change. Half my wheat has me a little worried. Other half is gonna have to pay a lot of bills...
Gee I hope my mustard does better than that. My pods are short and stumpy compared to what I remember in the past. Like 6 seeds a pod. Does not bode well for canola yields either. Reply With Quote
helmsdale's Avatar Aug 8, 2017 | 10:33 18
Quote Originally Posted by biglentil View Post
Gee I hope my mustard does better than that. My pods are short and stumpy compared to what I remember in the past. Like 6 seeds a pod. Does not bode well for canola yields either.
Park a super in a 1/2 section field... combine till you're done... it flowered for 4-4.5 weeks. Thought it would do a lot better. Bottom pods had 7 and 8 seeds. Top ones aborted or hardly filled. The merciless July wind and heat fubarred a lot of things around here.

Early pulses are just into the twenties, lots of lentils running mid to lower teens. Later seeded pulses are 10 days away and look rough.

Early cereals are a week away or so. Barley is fairly thick, but seeds are VERY thin. Heard through the grain elevator that early durum in bow island area is coming in quite light. One sample was 58lb and 21%Px. Some of my wheat heads didn't even make it out of the sheath. If there's kernels in them they'll be hard to keep in the combine I can imagine.

Amazing to see the difference between chemfallow and stubble on cereals this year. Even with full subsoil moisture in both at seeding, chemfallow looks to seriously outperform this year. Only guys with significant established and paid for landbases have the luxury of chemfallow around here though. Pretty hard to justify it on rented land which demands payment on a "per seedable" basis or even worse on a 160ac/quarter regardless of whether it's all broken or seadable or not basis.

It was next year country here by the 10th of July already. Next year will be a challenge if conditions do not turn around. Grasshoppers moved in late and are busy laying eggs, stubble subsoil moisture is non existent... running out of notches to cinch up my belt with! Reply With Quote
Aug 8, 2017 | 11:13 19

Whats my Glenn wheat going to run kernels are small with a deep V shape? Thats a 12 inch row spacing seeded May 6th.
Last edited by biglentil; Aug 8, 2017 at 11:16.
fjlip's Avatar Aug 8, 2017 | 13:03 20
Desiccating wheat with the swather today (yeah yeah yeah.....I know, we'll leave the swathing versus straight cutting debate for another day). What a pile of fluff! Pretty ripe and the heads pointing straight up.....not a single sign of a fusarium infected head, even in the few "good" low spots with decent moisture. A report of some winter wheat in the area running 20! I find that hard to beleive, I'm hoping our HRS does about one and a half times that! HOPING!

Looking for a job this winter...SF3's golf caddy, baggage handler and condo(house) keeper, cocktail mixer....
Well, farma, raining today, watches all over, hope the swaths hold up...weather weather... Reply With Quote
Aug 8, 2017 | 13:33 21
Quote Originally Posted by fjlip View Post
Well, farma, raining today, watches all over, hope the swaths hold up...weather weather...
It's petering out wont make it to farma. Reply With Quote
Aug 8, 2017 | 14:47 22
Shes a ways off here , 4 1/2 ft high and still blooming . Think we'll make it ? Reply With Quote
Partners's Avatar Aug 8, 2017 | 15:44 23 We got 6/10ths of rain..Wheat and bly lodging. Mess..

Country guide calls for frost Sept 3rd... Reply With Quote
Aug 8, 2017 | 15:46 24 From the air from Regina to Calgary can see the canola rows through to ground. BL, you could lose those rows into the ground cracks!

Warning out that durum at 4% thins is not a #1 CWAD. Elevator staff has been advised by management.

Happy harvest, everyone. Reply With Quote
Aug 8, 2017 | 16:34 25 Warning out that durum at 4% thins is not a #1 CWAD. Elevator staff has been advised by management.

well ,something has to take up the missing fuz slack ...... they're probably toxic. those thins, like ergot was ?? , maybe they won't clean out when processed ???, lol.
Last edited by caseih; Aug 8, 2017 at 16:40.
Aug 8, 2017 | 16:39 26
Quote Originally Posted by Partners View Post
We got 6/10ths of rain..Wheat and bly lodging. Mess..

Country guide calls for frost Sept 3rd...
we'll be ok if it waits that long Reply With Quote
Aug 8, 2017 | 16:50 27
Quote Originally Posted by checking View Post
From the air from Regina to Calgary can see the canola rows through to ground. BL, you could lose those rows into the ground cracks!

Warning out that durum at 4% thins is not a #1 CWAD. Elevator staff has been advised by management.

Happy harvest, everyone.
Guide says anything that goes through 4.5 slotted is classed as shrunken anything over 3% shrunken goes all the way down to a #5 Reply With Quote
Aug 8, 2017 | 16:51 28
Quote Originally Posted by caseih View Post

well ,something has to take up the missing fuz slack ...... they're probably toxic. those thins, like ergot was ?? , maybe they won't clean out when processed ???, lol.
How are they assessing thins? Reply With Quote
farmaholic's Avatar Aug 8, 2017 | 17:00 29
Quote Originally Posted by wmoebis View Post
How are they assessing thins?
........"visually"!

Biglentil and fj. We got a wee bit of rain. Watched it coming all day...uneventful, and that's ok now. Don't need any wstrong winds either until those "fluffy" wheat swaths settle!

Harvest safe folks. Reply With Quote
Aug 8, 2017 | 17:34 30
........"visually"!

Biglentil and fj. We got a wee bit of rain. Watched it coming all day...uneventful, and that's ok now. Don't need any wstrong winds either until those "fluffy" wheat swaths settle!

Harvest safe folks.
You telling me they can visually assess 4% +/- thins. Lol boy they must be good. Shrunken is the factor and is assessed objectively by what passess through a 4.5 slotted hand sieve. Reply With Quote