Diamond backs

Crop Production & Forage

Tools

Diamond backs

Jul 28, 2017 | 12:23 1 Numbers are very high in this area . A new batch just hatched a few days ago.
Wilkie area as well
We are out cutting plots today and the numbers are way over threshold. 20-50 m2.
Most are just 1/4 in long but there are some bigger ones . A few in cucoon already from a few weeks ago .
I counted 10 little ones less than a 1/4 in in this picture alone ... hard to see in picture . All hanging from branches and pods .
We still have good green leaf material but the moved up yesterday Reply With Quote
farmaholic's Avatar Jul 28, 2017 | 13:37 2 OGN (Oh God no...) Reply With Quote
Jul 29, 2017 | 06:48 3 Reply With Quote
Jul 29, 2017 | 09:14 4 Ya , it is bad south of here to your area Jag .
I had three planes going here this morning . I hate insecticide but the numbers were too high . Reply With Quote
farmaholic's Avatar Jul 29, 2017 | 09:40 5 Had a quick look here. Nothing to be alarmed about.....other than how shitty that canola crop looks at closer inspection! Reply With Quote
Jul 29, 2017 | 09:49 6 Jag, Looks like your getting your moneys worth out of the chem anyway.
Odd one here, most I'm finding are in cocoon. Anyone know off hand how long there in the cocoon stage?
farma your right, a lot scarier looking at all the heat blast damage vs. D-backs. Reply With Quote
Jul 29, 2017 | 10:17 7 Some spraying here. Plane and a few ground rigs going. Our numbers are way way below threshold in our canola. However our canola is all Nexera and Nexera has a higher sugar content which is less attractive to most pests. We also use some Alpine and humate which tends to raise sugar even more. Reply With Quote
Aug 1, 2017 | 11:22 8 Some guys in the Wilkie area have sprayed 3 times already , they are that bad in areas Reply With Quote
Aug 2, 2017 | 15:43 9 Canola Council scouting guide says economic threshold to spray is 20 to 30 larvae per tenth of a square metre at the pod stage. Reply With Quote
Aug 2, 2017 | 18:35 10 The numbers are 2-3 x that in areas around here . Mostly west of Paynton , and from the white wood hills south .
Basically the dry area from end of May till late July . Reply With Quote
Aug 2, 2017 | 22:31 11 Anyone have experience with coragen? Did some fields couple days ago and seems to be working.

Fields sprayed with decis/matador had to be resprayed few days later when the other flush moved up. Anywhere from 150-800 worms per square meter when checking, pretty bad infestation. Some guys not even spraying. In for a big surprise. Reply With Quote
Aug 2, 2017 | 23:07 12
Quote Originally Posted by Herc View Post
Anyone have experience with coragen? Did some fields couple days ago and seems to be working.

Fields sprayed with decis/matador had to be resprayed few days later when the other flush moved up. Anywhere from 150-800 worms per square meter when checking, pretty bad infestation. Some guys not even spraying. In for a big surprise.
used it a couple years ago for berthas. really worked good and safe for pollinators. and good residual Reply With Quote
Aug 2, 2017 | 23:15 13 Knock on wood I haven't found one in the canola. Aphids in lentils and canary thats a whole nother story. Reply With Quote
Aug 3, 2017 | 05:15 14 out counting tonite, lots of spraying going on for a week now , 2 helicopters and planes,
i still have leaf ,, so very little pod damage yet . hearing too of those spraying twice.
just east of here

i have been pulling a sq ft. of plants , beating them out ,
counts of 2 , 5,5,15,28,8,10,15, 18, 18,15, 12, a lot of 8 s and 15 counts .
pick up chem tommorow , some getting planes tomorrow, myself , like a few other neighbours, we plan to do our own.
unless i read it wrong , i thought the threshold was 15-20 sq. ft.
i better check again .

a lot of cocoons, mostlly , med. large size worms , and a few small ones

what would you guys use as a trample %. 120 ft. booms , i was thinking about 1 1/2 %

even if you said 40 bushell should equal . 6 bushell / acre x 10$ equals 6 $ acre
does it sound about right. esp with no fungicide tracks to follow
Last edited by sawfly1; Aug 3, 2017 at 05:18.
Aug 3, 2017 | 05:30 15
Quote Originally Posted by sawfly1 View Post
out counting tonite, lots of spraying going on for a week now , 2 helicopters and planes,
i still have leaf ,, so very little pod damage yet . hearing too of those spraying twice.
just east of here

i have been pulling a sq ft. of plants , beating them out ,
counts of 2 , 5,5,15,28,8,10,15, 18, 18,15, 12, a lot of 8 s and 15 counts .
pick up chem tommorow , some getting planes tomorrow, myself , like a few other neighbours, we plan to do our own.
unless i read it wrong , i thought the threshold was 15-20 sq. ft.
i better check again .

a lot of cocoons, mostlly , med. large size worms , and a few small ones

what would you guys use as a trample %. 120 ft. booms , i was thinking about 1 1/2 %

even if you said 40 bushell should equal . 6 bushell / acre x 10$ equals 6 $ acre
does it sound about right. esp with no fungicide tracks to follow
What size are your tires? The first number is the width of tread in millimetres.
Last edited by biglentil; Aug 3, 2017 at 05:32.
Aug 3, 2017 | 07:34 16 We've found taking out a piece of white board into the field and cutting the stems above the leaves and banging on the board gives you much better indication of where the bugs are. Then bang out the leaf portion after to give your total count. You lose so much taking handul back to the truck and banging on the hood.

From what I can see last few days try to use coragen (seems in short supply) and leave the decis/matador in the retailers shed. We applied ours at 60 ml rate and seems to be working good. Last tank going on this morning. Could have done heavier rate for longer residual but first time using it so was skeptical. Reply With Quote
Aug 3, 2017 | 07:40 17 Very good advice Herc. 👍 Reply With Quote
Aug 3, 2017 | 08:03 18 how important is time of day.
those were late evening counts,
tires are 380 s.
think the plane is 11-12 $ so maybe it almost pays

Jag those pics remind me of swathing short season canola , 30- 40 years ago , with the worms 2 inches thick on cutter bar
the worms built up on the rollers, stopping the canvas, you had to pull handfuls from under the canvas. as the
100s above your head on the reel crawled down your neck
Last edited by sawfly1; Aug 3, 2017 at 08:16.
Aug 3, 2017 | 08:24 19
Quote Originally Posted by sawfly1 View Post
how important is time of day.
those were late evening counts,
tires are 380 s.
think the plane is 11-12 $ so maybe it almost pays

Jag those pics remind me of swathing short season canola , 30- 40 years ago , with the worms 2 inches thick on cutter bar
the worms built up on the rollers, stopping the canvas, you had to pull handfuls from under the canvas. as the
100s above your head on the reel crawled down your neck
You have 30.4" of straight line tire trample / 1440 inches of boom = .0211 loss. With headlands, turning and extra damage probably 2.5% crop loss is a good figure if your fields are relatively square and wide open. If your expecting a $500 an acre return your trample loss $12.50 an acre. I would call the plane! Reply With Quote
Aug 3, 2017 | 08:29 20 We used Coragen seemed to work good from what we can see applied some by ground and had some applied by air

Arial applicators would not have been to polular in Leader if they would have sprayed this field that we rent beside the Leader School

Aug 3, 2017 | 09:26 21 All the sudden seeing lots of white moths in the neighbours canola. Not a good sign can anyone comment? Reply With Quote
Aug 3, 2017 | 09:36 22 Not just the neighbours in mine too. Here they come. Reply With Quote