• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Positive Side of a Drought! WTF But 1962 it didn't rain all year!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Positive Side of a Drought! WTF But 1962 it didn't rain all year!

In 1962 my father said it was the year it didn't rain. He harvested just slough areas but farming was different. summer fallow was used by all and we had trees in sloughs and what he was working was the higher lighter land.

Rain missed the area again last night and its time to leave for a week and not look at the radar or the sky at home because its starting to get to me.

Yes mother nature is giving me exactly what i asked for. It took her 15 years but she is finally giving it to us.

Thank god were done trying to save this crop its now up to the big guy up stairs.

Burrow pit will have enough water for late fall burn off as nothing will be killed if the drought continues till it rains.

Positive side of drought.

1. Throw the Rubber boots out. Finally work shoes that don't rot from all the moisture you walk in. Ropers that last more than month.
    2. Dubin is only applied at beginning of the year.
    3. Don't have to cut the grass in the yard three times a week.
    4. Duck population and Geese will finally have to move out and give you your land back around sloughs to grow a crop.
    5. Grasshoppers in your tank at harvest. Oh they hop all over the place.
    6. Grasshoppers as dockage at elevator.
    7. Sloughs are gone and fields are back to end to end. Make time and speed up seeding spraying and harvesting. Environmentally friendly less fuel used.
    8. Throw the Tow strap, chains belts and rope away. Whats getting stuck dad.
    9. Get to know the Crop insurance inspectors again.
    10. Roads go back to being awesome.
    11. Dig new wells as water table goes down.
    12. Create new ways to water the garden and yard.
    13. Creeks quit flowing and Beavers have to find a new place to live.
    14. Return of the Large double swathers or header that are 60FT.
    15.Draining water is a good thing. Their is none. and neighbours want it.
    16. Asking the Neighbour is it dry enough for you.
    17. Remembering the years it rained 30 in what you at this year less than 2.
    18. No more grain bags because the bins you have hold the crop.
    19. Gophers start to eat the edge of field instead of Geese and ducks. No wildlife payment.
    20. You seed, F$%K all the extra cocktails and spray if needed then go fishing till harvest starts end July early august and your done by Sept first.

I know its not funny to have drought but its the West. Cycles happen and when they change they do a Complete 360.

Next year the Submoisture will be gone. Thats when the shit starts to suck.

You have absolutely no idea what a drought is .

Comment

It was my attempt at Humor!

Ok.

I did one for Flooding a few years back.

Its my twisted humour.

Comment

.........side affects of drought, maybe. .... "POSITIVES"? some are but some are outright problems, choose your words wisely!

Comment

Its like the wet years you look to the sky and it rains again. The drought years are the same we look to the sky and it doesn't.

I have learnt that venting helps deal with it but also you have to laugh at the shit luck we have in Western Canada trying to grow a crop. To wet to dry to hot to cold. Never wow that was a awesome weather year.

I hope i don't offend any one that was not my intent.

Their is nothing we can do except watch the train wreck happen in slow motion and dream of next year or summers past.

Comment

We have a had a good run with a wetter than normal period since 2010. Lots of problems with too wet but drought is worse in my opinion because it can affect a much larger area. There is plenty of evidence that the great plains region has suffered serious long droughts that make the thirties look tame. If that ever happens in our life times it won't matter what you do, crop production will be severely cut back or non-existent.

Comment

Everyone should experience both sides of wet and dry to really understand it.
              For us it's nice to see large water drying up since 2010..maybe we can reclaim those 129 acres we couldn't seed this spring.
              Wadena got 1 inch last night..

Comment

I was 11 in 1961, the drought year here. Still had a crop, too young to remember yield. The other two DRY years in my 50 years were 1988 and 2002. 3 out of 50 were horrible, probably another 10-15 were drier than normal, 15 or so were perfect, the rest TOO wet. Add them all up and you get an AVERAGE crop!

If that sounds great, there is land for sale. Remember the Humboldt slogan..."Sure crop district" Klause bought it!

Wife says all is an average, crops, prices, our whole lives even. Look at BIG picture, daily even yearly is NOT the average. See it as a CHALLENGE not an unsolvable problem. Harder than you think...reading a book on it now. Another month or two and we will all know the results.
                Last edited by fjlip; Jul 21, 2017, 13:04.

Comment

Like they say. If you can't take the heat. Get out of the kitchen. The world owes you nothing.
                  Last edited by binthere; Jul 21, 2017, 12:09.

Comment

If you want to keep crying about your so called "drought crop" maybe stop posting pictures. That crop looks great! What the hell do you consider a crop failure already? Gee whiz man.

Comment

It is what it is guys my crop she gone. It sucks but nothing you can do about the weather. On the bright side may get some fall work done that is overdue by about 10 years lol.

Comment

SF3, I liked your humor...funny but true words! I guess everyone is here for the intellectual conversation and not any humor.

FJLIP we won't need 2 months to see how this turns out we are about 14 days away from turning wheels as everything is burning up. Frost August 5th probably wouldn't hurt us as crazy as that sounds.

Comment

S/F , I hear what your saying lol.
                          Just sup

Comment

I have never seen frost as early as Aug 5.
                            The earliest frost that I remember was in 1974, we had a bumper crop in the field, we were 2 years into farming and a son was due in 5 days. On Aug 13, we had a down pour of more than 5 inches, then frost on August 15 and the crop smelt like sour cabbage. We survived the feed samples but those who kept their bins locked sold their durum for #2 and 3 the next year.

Comment

76 august 4th.lost all my low spots of durum while I was doing an all nighter at the Regina Ex.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.