• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Friday Crop Report on a Thursday!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Friday Crop Report on a Thursday!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0273.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	777650

Well the Rain Gods have not been seen this year at all. Funny it tried the last week but its always the same shit spits hard you think its finally arrived then by the time you think that its over. Mother nature is a cruel bitch and this year she is really pissed. Funny how a area i farm in can go from one of the wettest the last 15 years to not getting more than 2 inches since seeding started.

But for us and hopefully all the Thursday or Friday system moving in is the last chance for most farms to salvage something or something big for 2017. This is the make of break rain system. We have cracks in the ground that if you dropped the iPhone you would be going home for a shovel to get it back. Like i said the next two days are critical. Salvage something or gone fishing.

Name:	IMG_0250.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	777652

We drove north yesterday to AG In Motion. Wow is their shit or just starting to go backwards or WTF happened in that field. Lots Canola finished blooming or shut down. Looks not bad at 135KM but stop and walk in, Lots are going to be very sad with the out come.

Lentils are loving this shit which is why in the 1980s we grew them and grew them well. Lots of fields all way north have white spots starting or already far advanced. Regina isn't so shit hot either.

Every single guy at the show you talked to said we need rain and need it now. No one said things are above average doing great better than last year. Lots deer in headlights that it was so dry.

Good expanded show, some times you just need to get away, even if its for a day to appreciate whats going on in your neighbour hood.

Bruce Burnett Called the crops variable that he saw. I would say that is true but thats not in a feel good way. Canola production will be down the most, Wheat will be down, Lentil yields will save a lot. Durum should be fuz free and peas some look real nice others are desiccating very soon or already done.

Here we go.

HRS is now finished heading and flowering and some did Prosario others went with doing nothing. To the north and West of us a few did spray for midge and added Prosario. But most didn't. We did find a half that had leaf disease that would of hurt the crop very very bad. Not sure why because we have wheat for three miles and it was the centre mile HRS. Cracks in ground but almost every single field you spray is end to end all excess water is going or gone. Burrow pit dropping every day with watering yard garden and spraying 1700 gal at a time.

Name:	IMG_0286.jpg
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	777651

Canola some sprayed some did the new test and didn't. Test showed less than the 10% so Why the F$%K would you spray. Canola is different than wheat, Short thick canopy of leaves touching each other and damp under their. Dew every night and no splashing of rain from ground up to hurt Canola. Later seeded and rain might have some issues if we actually get a rain.
    Lots of the early seeded has finished flowering or just shutting down. Nice stand but nothing that will make you go WOW WTF look at how this is running post pictures yea we did it. So far it will be down on to a average crop for our area but given the no rain events by next week it will be a lot worse if the system misses us. If it hits the later has potential to go ballistic and hit real good numbers. If it doesn't it will probably be worse than early seeded. So who knows right now. Lots of pod blast you can see.

Name:	IMG_0257.jpg
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	777653

Peas are in final shut down stage and most have finished flowering and filling the pods. Some sprayed some didn't not sure but seeding peas a week earlier would have been a good decision. I choose to seed later due to drill problems and letting ground dry out from early snow. Some times you hit it right some times you don't even show up for the game.

Name:	IMG_0249.jpg
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	777654

Flax full bloom and not looking bad. Some sprayed and some just went fishing.

Lentils seen double seed set per pod on most all way north to Saskatoon. To the West of us lots and most sprayed one or two times. South the same across the valley. Lentils like hot and dry and its a good year for them. Shorter than most years but those who have will smile.

Soy the new crop that i have seen all over Sask. from North to south to east to west. Soy had issues all spring and without a strong start some times the crop can not recover. Even if conditions are awesome after that. But the big thing with soy is it loves the heat but needs a really really good drink when your peas or Malt barley is ready to Harvest. If the pattern continues most will be disappointed.

Corn wasn't knee high by the fourth of July but where it has moisture or irrigation its going very good. Some fields still look awful but others are gaining.

Oats is ok but not like other years, needs a drink.

Barley came out of the boot and that was a relief. It looks good smaller heads than last few years now the big question will it fill or light shit and lots of protein so no malt. Ah the game of spin and win or spin and loose.

Pastures are dropping fast and hay harvest is ok but not like last few years. Some who fertilized before the last rains in June did very well.

So the crop maybe we will call Trudeau wheat Lots of nice head shots and selfies but nothing inside the brain. He can give millions away every single day (plus look at my socks) and yet can't go see a real Canadian problem in BC with the forest fire situation. Just saying the hug a thug missed a opportunity to look good. And he could of got a selfie with the forest fire in background.

So another week has gone and passed were still hanging in, poor land is not doing good. Good land is hanging on, Non rain event the last week and Big Big yield potential has left the building. Thursday and Friday if the rain comes its Lotto Max if it doesn't its still something to harvest but by next thursday with the head coming back a huge drop will happen. Were now at a average at best and that number is dropping each day. Others share their area situation please from the good to the bad to the ugly. Western canada is a big area but water is still needed in Moderation once a month to hit the home run.

Have a great week take a drive get away from the farm and well i know its tough to not check your phone and animate the storms on Environment canada. Looking at the sky and wondering WTF is out their or coming. Some on one knee praying, Some doing the Rain dance others just giving up and calling it a year. Its just a crop that the markets will talk up right till they run out of product or import from another country to avoid giving farmers some real return. Its a awful game but really Sask Production will be down big time from past years. Report out.

Gone fishing.

Since you can only post 5 pictures before your shut down here is the rest. Oh the F#$King Wind has been up up and away all week. Watch at harvest time we will be looking for wind. Frost will damage late seeded if it comes in August. Just saying. Early august its a bust. Late some will do good. Second week in September all will make it. Except the neighbour who seeded Oats on July 1.

Name:	IMG_0280.jpg
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	765862

Name:	IMG_0284.jpg
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	765863

Our worst field of canola is the one we mudded in to really wet ground and it didn't come up even at all its patchy but is still coming in spots. Tough to look at but a rain could turn this around or it will be a shit show come harvest. This is liberty strait cut so if the smaller spots make it we will leave it till last possible stage to swath. 96% change. We have 500 acres thats like this. Waited two days and rest is better.

Name:	IMG_0287.jpg
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	765864

Name:	IMG_0301.jpg
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	765865

Name:	IMG_0237.JPG
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	765866

Comment

I have a Question for the Experts that write bull shit stories how its going to rain and ND and Montana we will see a more positive side to the drought.

This is a Bullshit story as far as i am concerned. When farmers are cutting crop and making feed out of what little is left a rain won't help jack shit especially as the temps ramp up next week. Now it will help in Canada the farther north you get some. The heads will fill and seeds will get bigger. But Basically ND and SD and Montana are done in HRS county.

Comment

Repeat what I posted in a previous thread.

I would also like to add our crop is much thirstier than it is hungry. ...in fact I bet it wasn't even able to use all the groceries I provided for it. Really not suffering from famine but parched to the max.
        Last edited by farmaholic; Jul 20, 2017, 07:22.

Comment

Sure would be nice to see a detailed report of the rest of the industries living/leeching off my farm. ......

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
            Sure would be nice to see a detailed report of the rest of the industries living/leeching off my farm. ......
            We make freely available some pretty important information that can't really be hidden anyway. But at least we're not YET posting our financial statements and information like publicly traded companies are required to do.

Comment

I am talking about a nice public report of sales made, vessel reports, car movement etc.....standard and mandatory in the states...

Not to worried about their financials. ... railways are guaranteed profit and the grain cos are privately held....you ever see Richardson or Patterson bottom lines?

Sheesh. ....

Comment

I just don't like Bullshit from the Grain Companies.

listened to a Idiot from a Grain company in the USA talking to a summer student and another guy yesterday at their plots. He couldn't believe how the crops looked good. That statement their tells you how far up their ass these f$%KING morons are. He was looking at irrigated plots In the out fields where 60 plus crops were last year they will be lucky to make 22 or less.

Then watch this idiot goes back rights a paper or sends out info to all in Company Increase basis we will get lots.

Comment

Originally posted by SASKFARMER3 View Post
                  I have a Question for the Experts that write bull shit stories how its going to rain and ND and Montana we will see a more positive side to the drought.

This is a Bullshit story as far as i am concerned. When farmers are cutting crop and making feed out of what little is left a rain won't help jack shit especially as the temps ramp up next week. Now it will help in Canada the farther north you get some. The heads will fill and seeds will get bigger. But Basically ND and SD and Montana are done in HRS county.
                  the point in time where rain would have had a meaningful effect on the western ND and eastern Montana crop was probably weeks ago. That knowledge doesn't seem to filter down to a lot of people.
                  As most of Sask never had any general rains that occurred the thundershowers that gave moisture can be frustrating. Within a mile or two there can be vastly different crops.

Comment

Just pockets of bad crops is how it will be played.....elevators are full because the railways are barely moving 600000 tonnes a week east and west....1.5mmt of boats ....50 percent space at West coast.

You keep the elevators plugged on the prairies it's not hard to keep your price low.....meanwhile checking the export asking prices tells a major ****ing by the industry.....

But hey I am just a dumb****led farmer.....

They say grain cos only make money on their handling.....but with the spread between prairie and west coast and regulated rail rates it seems there is a few dollars going somewhere.....mostly to family teas.....
                    Last edited by bucket; Jul 20, 2017, 07:33.

Comment

Swimming in oceans of wheat....

Just because a canola crop turns yellow with flowers doesn't mean its going to be even an average crop!

Just because a lentil crop is loaded with pods doesn't mean it's a bin buster.

Just because soybeans made it out of that ugly stage and are tall and lush by August without much more rain it doesn't mean they're going to yield well.

Does drought barley that's lightweight, thin and high protien make good malt?
                      Last edited by farmaholic; Jul 20, 2017, 07:35.

Comment

You mean two passes of fungicides won't make a bin buster .....wtf?

Even irrigators in this heat will see lower yields. Believe it or not. ..

Cold water applied in 100 plus degree heat....think what it does to you....currently that is a 60 degree temp change.

When irrigating alfalfa early years ago neighbor said that cold water will retard growth....did something different the next year ....there is something to that...
                        Last edited by bucket; Jul 20, 2017, 07:44.

Comment

Central Alberta, east of Red Deer. No rain since July 3.
                          Canola crops appear to have hung in there amazingly well. On lighter land done flowering, on good land still flowering and don't look too bad.
                          Wheat crops hanging in there but are starting to suffer from the dryness. On lighter land and hilltops fizzle frying away to nothing. Made the mistake of putting fungicide on my wheat, fortunately used twin line that I got a really good deal on. In hind site it was a waste of money.
                          Barley crops, one good land still look good but one lighter land all turning white. Made the mistake of growing a semi-dwarf variety called Thompson for silage. I was tired of picking up lodged barley. It is only about 30 inches tall but no lodging lol.
                          Peas are done flowering and filling pods. They look good. Most pods have 6-7 peas in them.
                          Fabas are flowering not near as tall as last few years.
                          Durum, lentils and soybeans are not grown in my area.
                          Pastures are turning brown. Haying is probably 80-90% done in my area. Yields are down a bit from last year. In my case it yielded from 1.5 bales per acre up to just under 3. Got it up without rain on it lol.
                          Overall we need rain, none in the forecast for my area.

Comment

Models show .2mm of rain coming for Regina in next 24hrs. Don't forget your umbrella.

Comment

Graincos doing well on protein spreads for any wheat sold in the last month or so

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...