• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fungicide on wheat?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fungicide on wheat?

Humidity over 75% for 36 hours starting this evening. Chance of rain too.
    Still have a crop, average maybe.
    Lots of inoculum. Staging good. Guess will have to run through it.

Hope it's going to be cool enough when the humidity is up. Kinda sucks when it's been very dry and the timing of this rain system. Not much for midge so far

Comment

I think I need a sabbatical from posting but would like to comment on this topic.

The inoculum may be "present" here but I would bet the farm the ****ing stuff is laying there "dormant"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Soil surface is really dry....how the hell is fusarium going to produce spores under the conditions we're experiencing here. The canopy is never wet, IF there is dew, and the very little that there would be is restricted to the upper most part of the canopy and is burnt off early in the day!!!

How the hell is schlerotinia apothecia ever supposed to establish under the same environmental conditions?

When there's people around you spraying and I choose not to based on the conditions on my farm, I start to question my reasoning. I guess I will know in fall. Wheat is basically past the stage of application anyway. Canola much the same.... also still only see the rows of the main stem flowering,,,, branches are there but this crop is not a "sea of yellow" and its been flowering long enough it should be.

This might be the year, that on this crop, we might make a bit more money by not spending any more!!!
      Last edited by farmaholic; Jul 10, 2017, 15:00. Reason: questionable terminology

Comment

I could be easily talked out of spraying. We'll see. Where's Tweety?

Comment

Diseases, fungus are the quite different for the various crops. I believe you are correct they all need humidity to grow and develop.
          Crop health benefits have been demonstrated, and effective, ie headline on cabbage canola, lentil at flower, flag in barley durum etc.

I think there is at a minimum a break even for the cost and application. Is this then the cheapest best ROI insurance a farmer has?

Quality and crop volumes during high and low price markets make the sales so much easier, at premium prices. Freight cost can be substantially lower, no USA distance marketing.

Comment

I've refuse to spend any time at the local Chem Retailers.....I don't want to listen to the rhetoric or defend my position. Also I respect their business, and me ranting about not spraying because of the environmental conditions is not good for their business!

Base your decisions on what you see on your side of the fence.

Follow your ADGENDA, not the Chem Retailer's or your neighbor's!

Comment

Think about these things:
              Best Management Practice
              Integrated Pest Management
              Sound Agronomic and Financial decisions....

They are claiming we are using fungicides too indiscriminately and the Strobilurins are suscetible to resistance issues. Is sparying when its unnecessary a "use it and lose it" scenario?

Comment

Best management practices also require best weather .....I know I am losing more to this weather than all the juice I can put on the crop......

Is the price rising enough to justify it....maybe.....but if it's break even when all costs are considered. ......I can't be forced to ride that horse again....

I am planning for next year....again.

But I am very optimistic at this point for 2018.....

2017 is history.....

Comment

In the twenty years we been doing it only three havent paid and one was a breakeven. I will do it just for peace of mind. I hate having bushels of garbage. But we usually have lots of humidity and rains more than not except the years it didnt pay.

Comment

No comment on fungicide but you should see the worms chomping on our canola. These little red under soil bugs turned into millions-no trillions and kazillions of hunry army worms. Never saw anything like that. Those poor canola, persecuted, frozen, roasted, dying of thirst.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                    • Return to Topic List
                    Working...
                    X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                    You agree to our and by clicking I agree.