• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The drought is getting real

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lol. We have thought about the same thing with those 4 CJNB radio towers just west of me
    Let's hope something changes , very very soon for some of us

Comment

Sorry tweety , but you come across as continually knowing more than 99.% of the rest of us . You need to pull your head out of your ass .... Happy Canada Day BYW.
      70% of the farmers I deal with have been to Ag school as well there guy , quit demeaning the rest of us !!
      We all know fungicides hurt 80% more than they help . They only help retails ....

Comment

It's going to be hell on the pastures and crops for the forecasted future with no break in the two week period if it maintains.
        Worst possible timing on the flowering crops.

Comment

The drought is here best thing to do is stop spending money on the crop. Go to the lake and drink beer with friends and neighbors for a couple weeks and don't look at the crops they will still be there when you get home. Like sf3 says it's just a crop. You win some you lose some.

Comment

Agree, sofa, gone away for 2 weeks, all will look better after a break away from farm.
            Every time we left last year...rain, rain, rain!
            Watched pot never boils, a watched cloud/radar never rains!
            Canola north of Roblin looks great, about 75% of seeded area.
            Last edited by fjlip; Jul 2, 2017, 11:03.

Comment

Env. Canada just issued a heat warning that encompasses our corner of the world...

"A very long period with maximum daily temperatures reaching near 29C or above and minimum overnight temperatures reaching near 14C or above is expected to begin today. This is forecasted to be an unusually long duration high temperature event and is currently expected to last for longer than a week."

Canola just coming into bloom, durum and spring wheat just heading, flax lentils and peas all flowering. Should be a burner! A bushel burner that is...

Long range models look terrible. High 80s till mid week, then mid to high 90s late in the week and possibly 100+ through the weekend, then back to mid 90s through till the beginning of 2nd week of july. As far as i'm concerned, if you're on the drier side, you can weather mid 80s for quite a while, if you're on the wet side, you can weather mid 90's for possibly a week, and no matter what the moisture situation, 100-110 for any sustained period of time is impossible.

Comment

Two things have changed on our farm since dry years of 1961 and eighties.
                Out of cattle and into direct seeding.
                Probably worst concerns were feed and pasture shortage and losing moisture when snow blew off stubble fields.
                Not looking forward to heat and drought but interested in outcome, not as if we have not been there.

Comment

Going to be a lotta sour faces and bored grain cart operators come harvest time in our area. I don't think reality completely sets in until the combines roll and the hoppers never seem to fill.
                  Last edited by biglentil; Jul 2, 2017, 15:26.

Comment

I think we will hang in there not too bad for the week ahead but next Saturday will be the turning point with no change in the forecast. Warm nights and hot days with no easy moisture left will ruin prospects quickly. Below to much below average for all crops except canola is looking likely.
                    I haven't seen 100% agreement among forecasts for quite a while but this 10 day to 2 week dry hot spell forecast seems to be unanimous.

Comment

Originally posted by farming101 View Post
                      I think we will hang in there not too bad for the week ahead but next Saturday will be the turning point with no change in the forecast. Warm nights and hot days with no easy moisture left will ruin prospects quickly. Below to much below average for all crops except canola is looking likely.
                      I haven't seen 100% agreement among forecasts for quite a while but this 10 day to 2 week dry hot spell forecast seems to be unanimous.
                      I haven't found any good ways to check the Euro model, but yes, the unanimity amongst the north american models is unnerving.

Comment

Predicting rain is like predicting the lottery winner....where will it be and how much will you have to possibly share with other players.

That high pressure ridge thats building will likely only have one result!

Lets hope something evolves to break it down before too long. Or it spawns some thundershowers... but where is the moisture going to come from....you can't "irrigate" from a dry reservoir!!!!

Hang in there ladies and gentlemen this probably wont be pretty. Special shout out to the cattle producers in the dry areas!

Comment

Today was a taste of what's to come yikes. Need a bigger cooler 6 beer won't make 9 holes in this heat.

Comment

And then he was gone! You gonna pay the carbon tax wiseguy?

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
                              We all know fungicides hurt 80% more than they help . They only help retails ....
                              So which is it? Smart farmers spraying fungicides knowing it hurts almost twice as much as it helps, or they're not that smart considering most acres are sprayed with fungicide 'just in case' because they don't know the downside?

Comment

Lotto winner happening right now five miles north of our yard Lucky buggers.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...
                                X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                                You agree to our and by clicking I agree.