• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So what happened...

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So what happened...

Let's see if any one gets even close .
    Just over 800 ac , one area ....

Fertilizer damage.??? Thought he was double shooting but wasnt . One fert hose was plugged on the green row

Comment

I like caseih's theory but another observation is canola on canola stubble. If it was fertilizer toxicity why does there seem to be damage even on the stuff that came up between the furrows? Would you even get that level of establishment if there was that much fert in the seed row? Even in the good row there are sick looking plants and in the real heavy sick rows there is the odd healthy looking one. The symptoms almost look like some sort of chemical damage as well.

So is there two issues at play here? caseih's theory and a herbicide application to take out the previous year's volunteer canola of a different herbicide tolerance?

Comment

A desperate attempt for cash flow to be able to pay for the new record high cash rent paid and fresh new leased equipment happened.

Comment

Originally posted by hobbyfrmr View Post
          A desperate attempt for cash flow to be able to pay for the new record high cash rent paid and fresh new leased equipment happened.
          Like👍

Usually greed catches up with you eventually.... if not karma will. At least it does for me.

Comment

Wrong product applied to the canola system planted. Green row is a sprayer miss ie GPS set too wide. Looks like group 2 activity so maybe Ares on non clear field?
            This is a WAG

Comment

Well done case and farma , there are still a few other factors but that's two of the issues there.
              Funny thing is some chem reps and crop insurance experts never clued in on the fact that it was a plugged fertilizer run or that even may be part of the issue.
              Any one with a fair bit of on farm experience picked that out asap just as case and farma did .
              Anyway that was the very first thing that caught my eye when I went out there Saturday , also some knolls, pockets and mid slopes are ok with canola accross the full width of drill until you get back into more loamy flat areas of the fields in this block of land then its back to this single row . But that single good seed row went across all of the topography, even the wettest areas.
              I will give a bit more background ,
              All his other canola was seeded the same rate, same fertility and looks great .
              One field even has 50% more fertility than this whole area and looks fantastic.
              This block of land had a pre emergent residual herbicide applied the same as all the other 7000 plus ac as well . I will not name this pre emergent , but it is very PH sensitive and easily ties to clay particles.
              But ....... this block of land was hit with a 3 inch rain at about the 2 leaf stage .
              The rest of his canola in different areas ended up with far less rain and the canola was at various other stages of course due to one air drill that seeded his whole crop.
              All the canola from the picture was sprayed in crop herbicide about 12 days ago .
              Back to the blocked fertilizer run , as most farms push fertility and are told its fine with the twin shank drills because of "distinct " seed and fert separation , I think we need to be cautious as to how much is put at seeding time that close to the seed row. That's a lot of salt load that close to a young canola seedling. At the two leaf stage when the problem started, that canola root system is very young and tender. Also concentrated fertilizer bands , dry in this case, do change the PH levels in that band of soil. So when choosing any pre burn chemical with residual that should that be considered as well ??
              This was a case off just bad luck with everything lining up perfect to cause a wreck. This situation may never line up again , but then again .... I have seen similar situations where this happens and a lot of fingers get pointed everywhere but without a key to the problem , this case the good seed row, it can be hard to nail down.
              No single thing at fault here but , that one seed row must make one think a little about what we as farmers are being told what is safe from drills to fertility to pre emergent and in crop herbicides.

Comment

Quadtrack , what's a WAG ?
                Yes the herbicide was a group 2 along with lontrel on clearfield canola . But not the problem here.
                Not a GPS issue , it was simply one plugged fertilizer run as it is in the same location on every seeding pass across this one particular field until they stopped to fill and unplugged it . After that the single good row is gone then it was just mid slopes and knolls that survived.

Comment

Maybe didn't catch it but if was single shoot how is there canola? Or was it not single just too much down side?

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
                    Quadtrack , what's a WAG ?
                    Yes the herbicide was a group 2 along with lontrel on clearfield canola . But not the problem here.
                    Not a GPS issue , it was simply one plugged fertilizer run as it is in the same location on every seeding pass across this one particular field until they stopped to fill and unplugged it . After that the single good row is gone then it was just mid slopes and knolls that survived.
                    I think it means wild ass guess furrow

Comment

Oh sorry missed the twin shank area

Comment

Ahhh , I missed that lingo lol. I get it now duh

Comment

Makes me wonder if there wasn't micros out down also?

Comment

Big Wheel , I agree that maybe part of it .
                            Tissue and soil samples have been taken.
                            There are a lot of things that happened there .
                            He did everything right he was supposed to , as per all his other acres. But that flushing rain exaggerated maybe a bigger problem ??? Not sure but it seems to be the case .

Comment

So more wild ass guessing...
                              The fert stress and the pre-emerg app combination causing the problem when the large rain either activated and or moved the chemical down into the root zone. Could it also be connected to where the fertility band caused the roots to grow toward? Deeper root growth on the knolls and also on the plugged run? It just looks like most of the damage from the herbicide but maybe that is the non clear field volunteers dying from the Incrop.
                              Looks like the fert band is an agravating factor to the majority cause which is chemical damage.
                              Hopefully you will identify the pre-emerge so we can be wary of this problem. Too bad for this farm to run such a large experiment and hopefully there is some compensation for them.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.