• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mini Crop Tour....

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mini Crop Tour....

Man there's some ugly crops in this area!

We at least had "decent"(define decent) crop establishment. Looked at a "too dry too long" wheat field(ours). Short, spindly and starting to head out....doesn't look bad from the road, just don't walk in! Had to chuckle to myself thinking, "this won't need fungicide"! Some of the "better" wheat fields might get it. My prediction is coming true for a repeat of 2015....will get a nice undergrowth of volunteers and weeds because we couldn't wait to in-crop spray because of an advancing crop.

Canola is starting to bolt and is now probably going to look as good as its going to get. Compared to some in the area its nice and some other people's fields are better.....but none would make the picture on the front cover of a magazine!

Just got done twisting the last half section of flax today.

Peas may get an app of fungicide regardless to help mitigate erectile dysfunction!

What do you guys think of your crops? Is there a Utopian Garden of Eden anywhere in Western Canada this year? It's not in the Slum of the Ghetto this year!

I did an unexpected tour today .
    Covered a lot of miles .
    There are pockets but I went from very dry to good to far too wet , back through good to mediocre, good and ok crops .
    Some very good looking crops , but in very small pockets.
    The farther north the more drowned out they get .

Comment

Earlier seeded cereals look good, later ones more patchy. Canola the same with more field to field variation. Later seeded canola on low or wet ground not good. Too much rain.
      Notice Minneapolis wheat futures up another twelve cents tonight, has to be a limit on premium over Kansas.

Comment

Decent, maybe an average to good crop on the way. A half inch of rain this week would be good timing.
        Wheat and barley likely only average. Flax, good potential. Canola needs some warmth and a little moisture but does have potential for above average.

Hopalong, could be wrong but I believe the limit is $12.32 and three quarters over Kansas, Feb 25, 2008. Mar contract.
        Likely will never be repeated. Was back when the _ _ _ was helping us market wheat.
        Last edited by farming101; Jun 25, 2017, 21:27.

Comment

Lots of piss poor canola around, like 1 in 2 is FUBAR. Canary lets just say Poly might be on a diet this winter. Lentils are okish, Peas tend to make me jealous. Early Durum is thin and short flag has emerged does that mean yields set? GMO canola is one trick pony. $700 a bag Fk right off!!! We've been hood winked now we know why the East Indian farmers enjoy so many Paraquat milkshakes.

Comment

Actually seen two combines and two swathers going yesterday, crop as tall as penny. Shit show here continues.

Comment

In south central the few early crops that looked good are going downhill. Canola is bad but lentils which is everywhere you look still seem good. Winter wheat is burning up other cereals that were early starting to head real short and late crops bad germination and what's up just sitting not growing. Me thinks harvest will be short and not too sweet if no rain in a week or 10 days. Going to be some long faces if it don't rain but we are about 25 years overdue for a dry spell.

Comment

Depends largely on your dirt and if you missed the big rain dumps here.
                Wheats mostly pretty good here.
                Peas are just fair to dying.
                Barley good to screwed.
                Canola. Few excellent to wtf. All very late.
                Unseeded acres up. Seeded but flooded up.
                Auction yesterday. Bins cheap. Cultivators not.

Comment

The early dry weather has affected the crops here. Wheat looks good from the road, but you walk in, it is incredibly short, it is starting to head out now, the rows not closing in as much as expected, small heads. Looks to be an average yield at best. As for canola 1 third of the plants flowering for a week, other third in rosette, some guys taking about spraying twice for sclerotina control. Good on them, spend spend spend. Corn and soy struggling with the cold weather, i cant see how corn will make it this year. beans, likely will stay short, pod quickly and produce ave yields. Some btos who are all corn and beans could be hurting this fall.

Comment

I drive a 100km strip every couple days so you watch the crops change. Shitty fields of canola have plants bolting and plants just coming up in rows. Wheat looks good from road but if you stop take a piss and walk in its not last years crop especially if seeded early and it was waiting for rain its yield is determined. Some barley looks like a 10 and some a 5. Peas some so thin i don't know if it was poor seed but a plant every foot some nice.

So far none are blooming for the Monday after farm progress show. Yes by Friday a few spots in fields will be blooming and then some just coming out of the ground. Best field beside us is seeded with a flexicoil 5000 yes what we use to seed with. Some other fields are starting to fill in and are looking better.

Its a average to below average crop coming thats it thats all she wrote no making a diamond out of lump of coal. Its a cubits zarkonian.

Comment

Originally posted by SASKFARMER3 View Post
                      I drive a 100km strip every couple days so you watch the crops change. Shitty fields of canola have plants bolting and plants just coming up in rows. Wheat looks good from road but if you stop take a piss and walk in its not last years crop especially if seeded early and it was waiting for rain its yield is determined. Some barley looks like a 10 and some a 5. Peas some so thin i don't know if it was poor seed but a plant every foot some nice.

So far none are blooming for the Monday after farm progress show. Yes by Friday a few spots in fields will be blooming and then some just coming out of the ground. Best field beside us is seeded with a flexicoil 5000 yes what we use to seed with. Some other fields are starting to fill in and are looking better.

Its a average to below average crop coming thats it thats all she wrote no making a diamond out of lump of coal. Its a cubits zarkonian.
                      best canola around here as also seeded with an older flexicoil probably a 5000 not positive

Comment

I almost wish i still had ours. Except for when the bearings went in the packers

Comment

Great machine for level stone free ground.
                          Glad ours is gone.

Comment

The Flexicoil 5000 are a good drill but I wouldn't trade it for what I have today. Although what I have today will become a maintenance nightmare as it ages in comparison to the 5000.

Comment

Wheat - I agree on the diminishing prospects for good weather to boost yield potential going forward. Some would still benefit but not the majority. Especially when you include the American crop.
                              MW futures $7.25 here we come? Don't see why not. I have no idea. When a move like this happens a lot of chart indicators are useless. Price action for the week above $6.64U would validate higher yet.
                              Last edited by farming101; Jun 26, 2017, 07:03.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...