• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The solution is ....drumroll please.....

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The solution is ....drumroll please.....

Reading about the poor state that omnitrax left the Churchill rail line....an engineering professor figures it is feasible to build a highway to Churchill. ...Brilliant....replace the rail line with a highway. ...

They can't build a ****ing highway from my hometown to moose jaw in sections over a 2 decade period on stable land let alone building up north.

Why why the **** do people think this way.....

Take Trudeau's infrastructure money and fix the rail line to include freight and passengers and make it a tourism destination ..... and then never let a private organization own it again because to date it always comes back to the taxpayers anyway.

Omnitrax bled money to their shareholders. ...a good thing I guess....to end up with a dilapidated rail line....

Disclaimer....I do realize mother nature had a hand in this...

BUT .....the rail line originally got built somehow and lasted the test of time....

Wasn't Provincial and Federal money given to Omnitrax for this rail. Or????

Comment

Probably and it was transferred to shareholders with no one watching to see if anyone was maintaining the line.....idiotic ....

Comment

Dilapidated rail line? Not sure how you can blame omnitrax ( with a teeny disclaimer ) The rail line is still under water, pretty hard to deal with a flood like that in a very remote area. Huge undertaking to fix it. Approx. 300 km. of track to repair i believe? Big job.

Comment

Churchill could have been the goto shipping port but Easterners own the lakers in the St. Lawrence. capeesh?

Comment

And a highway to the port wouldn't be....

They have rail infrastructure in place to haul the ballast in if need be....

Big undertaking? What about when they built it the first time.

This is like inheriting a farm but can't afford to keep it up.

Comment

I read a lot of history books, some WWII stuff.

To say nothing of the adverse conditions the soldiers faced, consider the civilians in Germany, Russia or Britain ( or many others). At a time when manpower was in extremely short supply, raw materials were rationed, energy was in extremely short supply, even food and shelter for those doing the work was compromised, and air raids were happening almost daily to add continual harm. Add in weather events which inevitably took place to mess up the plans then too. Yet those folks managed to build, rebuild, or move entire factories, power plants, air ports, rail lines nearly overnight, then do it all over again the next day. Without most of the tools and equipment we have now. Yet in 2017, with all the equipment and technology, and unemployed available, it takes years to repair an existing rail line.

Comment

Reports blamed closure on washouts, claimed would not be fixed before next winter.
                Wonder what was done to fix washouts in the past.
                Took a summer rail tour to Churchill a few years ago, big problem appeared to be muskeg rather than excess runoff causing washouts.

Comment

If the port of churchill could of had a shipping season of at least 180 days instead of approx. 90 days, it may have been a viable port.

Comment

Dollars and "sense" and a lack of willingness.

Comment

Originally posted by sumdumguy View Post
                      Churchill could have been the goto shipping port but Easterners own the lakers in the St. Lawrence. capeesh?
                      Part of the problem for sure.

CNR did not help get grain efficiently by essentially letting a line or two go to hell through a lack of maintenance as well......which coincidentally has its HQ in Montreal, Quebec.

Comment

I think the 100's of millions of dollars of rail overage paid to farmers that is going to be used on research to help us create a bigger infrastructure/transportation demand and dump it into the rail line. Any income goes back to rail and port maintenance. Or is this making too much sense?

Comment

On the old days not only would they haul grain to Churchill they would haul it from Churchill to fill an order.

Comment

The Kewatin Tribal Council has offered to completely repair the line to Churchill. They have the knowhow and experience as they already own the Keewatin Railway and have for sometime. All it takes is for someone to give the OK and pay the cost. I doubt if any other company can do it as well, as quickly and as economically.

Comment

Originally posted by samhill View Post
                              The Kewatin Tribal Council has offered to completely repair the line to Churchill. They have the knowhow and experience as they already own the Keewatin Railway and have for sometime. All it takes is for someone to give the OK and pay the cost. I doubt if any other company can do it as well, as quickly and as economically.
                              Indian time is twice as long as white man time and three time as expensive.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.