• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A tale of two Canadas: Where you grew up affects your income in adulthood

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chuckChuck View Post
    There are opportunities for those who work hard and have been lucky enough to be born in a region where there are good jobs and access to education and training to better themselves. But you missed the point of the research that there are regions on the country where good jobs don't exist and therefore incomes are low, and often the schools are not great which doesn't allow for the next generation to go off and get the training and experience to become a plumber or any other tradesperson. There are a lot of families who can't save enough to send their kids to post secondary education especially if it is not close to their home. Therefore they are often stuck in low income occupations or unemployed . Just think of all the single parents mostly women who struggle to pay the rent and feed the kids. Affordable Post secondary opportunities don't often exist for these families. Of course there are exceptions but you have to look at the big picture and see what is holding back some of the regions. It is not about left or right politics it is about access to education, resources and opportunities to succeed.
    Interesting Chuck2 I had 2 truckers that still own houses in NewBrunswick but work in Alberta. They talk about the absolute lack of work and opportunity back home. 20 years ago there was good opportunities but the lumber and pulp mills have shut down. 2 types of jobs left government and fast food. Sorry to say education can't fix that. The move by the left to shut down resource extraction is trying to turn Alberta and Saskatchewan into the rest of Canada. Just my opinion!!!

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
      That study only tells part of the tale
      I know a lot of very successful people that came from low income family situations. But they were raised well , taught respect and told and grew up with hard work ethics. That has far more to do with a persons successful future
      I agree with you.

Comment

Originally posted by sofa.king View Post
        There is way too much emphasis put on university education all the arts and science classes and psychology do nothing in the real world. The university system has become a money machine instead of a place for higher learning. I think it's time to start teaching trades in high school that is what is important to society.
        I agree with you, sofa.

Comment

Originally posted by Klause View Post
          Im

Interesting... Dauphin Manitoba... Home of the first massively failed mincom program is one of the poorest regions in Canada... 30 years after the failed experiment.

This is true.

Comment

I don't think parental wealth has much to do with success as some might think. Could be a big catalyst for a driven intelligent person though.

Having a brain, work ethic and a stable home would be the main factors I think.

Yes basic education should be available and it is. But University degrees don't fix lazy.

Comment

Originally posted by Klause View Post
              This is why immigrants are more successful generally... They actually want to get somewhere.
              I agree with this completely Klause - lets bring more immigrants in!

Comment

Trouble is the ones they are letting in don't like us. They like our way of life and all the things we have but not us.

Comment

This is going to sound much easier said than done.

If there's no opportunity on your doorstep, you might have to go to where some exists.

Strong will and determination can over come many obstacles.

There is no doubt not everyone starts at the starting line in the race to success. Some are right on it, some behind it and some ahead of it.

Opportunity isn't equally accessible to all.

I was in line at Wal-Mart's express checkout the other day....only two cashiers in that section. One took their time but was always doing their job. The other seemed more "efficient" and was actually summoning (done electonically) up the next customer before completely ringing the previous one through....pumping them through!

Why is it the immigrants to this country have a better work ethic than our complacent citizens? Opportunity?

Comment

You can beat yourselves on the back all you want as how you pulled yourselves up by your boot straps but that's all bullwhip why aren't you all colonel sanders or bill gates or Donald trump... YOU all failed lots of you think because you didn't get the new pickup for grad you are under privileged, some of us couldn't afford a corsage for grad, if we did graduate , but we did advance, , there are a lot of us that have on a percentage basis have done way better that a lot but still don't have millions but we started from O
                    Klaus you was defending rig workers, most never earned shot , they go paid big but didn't earn it,a monkey with little exp could do most of there jobs. How are you doing trucking to the coast ? how's the container business doing, come tell me how you are doing in 10/20 yrs then Mabry you have something to crow about.!!!

Comment

Immigrants yea they all come prepared to use the system and know how.

Comment

Originally posted by sofa.king View Post
                        There is way too much emphasis put on university education all the arts and science classes and psychology do nothing in the real world. The university system has become a money machine instead of a place for higher learning. I think it's time to start teaching trades in high school that is what is important to society.
                        Well put, sofa.king. Way too many resources and time allotted for degrees that will have little benefit or practical use in society at the same time VERY necessary trades being somewhat neglected.

Comment

Parents and the love of learning can have the biggest affect on their children's lives. Parents who value education, encourage in that direction but I also have watched people in our little village constrain their children by minimizing their kids' potential-glad to say some kids broke away and surprised themselves. One example - elevator agent's son (some info left unsaid) was an engineer through his working career and now at 67 years old is this best engineering professor.

There is so much more we all can be if we never stop learning - there's a big world out there and parents can encourage their children to go after the big apples - or not.

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post

Why is it the immigrants to this country have a better work ethic than our complacent citizens? Opportunity?
                            Human nature. People only work as hard as they have to. Immigrants are starting behind the eight ball so have to work harder or two jobs first to afford the basics and later to acquire all the stuff the locals have. Quite often the second generation become complacent citizens too.

Comment

Originally posted by Horse View Post
                              You can beat yourselves on the back all you want as how you pulled yourselves up by your boot straps but that's all bullwhip why aren't you all colonel sanders or bill gates or Donald trump... YOU all failed lots of you think because you didn't get the new pickup for grad you are under privileged, some of us couldn't afford a corsage for grad, if we did graduate , but we did advance, , there are a lot of us that have on a percentage basis have done way better that a lot but still don't have millions but we started from O
                              Klaus you was defending rig workers, most never earned shot , they go paid big but didn't earn it,a monkey with little exp could do most of there jobs. How are you doing trucking to the coast ? how's the container business doing, come tell me how you are doing in 10/20 yrs then Mabry you have something to crow about.!!!
                              Ya Horse, next you will be telling us how you REALLY had it hard and made out well. Everyone starts out in a different place with different circumstances. It's what you do with it that counts.

Your name should be horse's ass.

Comment

Originally posted by LEP View Post
                                Ya Horse, next you will be telling us how you REALLY had it hard and made out well. Everyone starts out in a different place with different circumstances. It's what you do with it that counts.

Your name should be horse's ass.
                                Like, agree.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...