• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Friday Crop Report on a Thursday!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Friday Crop Report on a Thursday!

[ATTACH]1568[/ATTACH]

f$%k i hate wind!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This spraying for one good day and then hunker down and hide because the wind is so strong is getting really tiring. Were starting to get behind on spraying and its got me frustrated. Switched up the chemical for wheat as some is getting really big. Axile will do for bigger plants and not hurt it and still get the wild oats. Also the two pass on Liberty adds acres to spray but i feel you then have really clean fields. Some guys have been on their canola fields four times. First early rr and then flea beatle then assure then back with rr because of third growth. Funny how after the rains last week every thing is coming.

So here we go on the crop report.

Click image for larger version

Name:	B440C76C-11ED-43F3-AA24-D143D0838CC9.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	777609

HRS For us is actually at the same stage as last year for this time of year. The plants are rooted deep with the dryer spring but funny how 1.5 inches last week and water is sitting in spots. I for one will go out on a limb and say cereals look good from the road but its no 2017 crop. Especially if you seeded early and were dry. your plants were at leaf 6 and yield is determined at 4 to 5. It will be a good average but its a long way from the bin. Most that scout fields have come to that conclusion. Wheat a 8 so far.

Peas are actually doing good so far wild oats has been a problem as a second flush is coming but funny only on areas where we kelly harrowed last fall. Oh well you learn. At least no ruts. Peas are a 9 so far.

Name:	IMG_9742.jpg
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	777610

Canola is the one crop from Saskatoon to Regina to Moosmin to Yorkton to Moose jaw that it doesn't matter if you seeded with half a million dollar drill or a old flexicoil 5000 they all look the same. Thin patchy third and fourth germinations and basically not that great for this time of year. Always use to say if its blooming on Sunday after farm progress its a awesome chance at the big one.

Name:	IMG_9741.jpg
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	777611

So right now i would call the canola delayed, yes it has time to catch up but will it be flowering in the heat of July. So a 6 out of 10 for crop rating.

Barley is wow with a wow factor if seeded in early may. Later may not as good and thinner. 9 out of 10.

Oats is thin and coming but maybe not the best start. 7 out of 10.

Flax wow guys seeded thick. Wow it looks good 9 out of 10.

Lentils etc no one has.

Soy is all over the map with new guys and old growers its funny to watch. Some fields look awesome some look like WTF. Time will tell but so far a rating of 7 out of 10.

Corn not one field i can find. Maybe the guy at Canora but around us nothing.

Pastures wow if you fertilized they are on their way. Rain in moderation makes every one happy. Useless down pours and daily rain events are just sick. So far its funny how the rains happen. Look at todays radar. North strait south almost.

Name:	EB7EFF0C-1384-47C2-BDAE-F1CFF4432912.jpg
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	777612

So to the useless politicians in Ottawa and your useless Carbon tax on everything but it actually does nothing for the environment. I as a farmer are creating plants that grow and take Carbon from the environment and actually do some thing for our country. We use way less fuel with min tillage, We have bigger equipment that covers way more area with same amount of fuel. Most farmers care about their land their animals and the environment yet we will have to pay this useless brainless tax. Thank a Liberal every time you see them.

Ok enough about a useless tax.

Wind is up to almost Hurricane status so its off to the show no spraying today again. If you need rain you might get some, I hope the long range July weekend is wrong with excess rain. Take care as its only a crop and the ones at home are way more important, Take care and keep doing your part to produce cheap healthy environmentally responsible food for the masses and get paid 1940 prices.

Name:	fullsizeoutput_5ba.jpg
Size:	9.4 KB
ID:	765594

I just thought this is funny and don't want to hurt any ones feelings at all its meant as humor. So to all those who are easily offended i apologize.

Comment

**** me SF3...even I haven't stooped that low(and wouldn't look near as good anyway) and posted anything like that here!

Comment

Is your agronomist taking on more acres?

Comment

Originally posted by SASKFARMER3 View Post
          [ATTACH]1573[/ATTACH]

I just thought this is funny and don't want to hurt any ones feelings at all its meant as humor. So to all those who are easily offended i apologize.
          like !

Comment

Don't kid yourself... retailers and chemical companies load up with easy on the eyes....reduces their claims....

Comment

I just think we need to all lighten up its a year that will have challenges and like others its difficult to grow a crop in the great white north. Yes for us its a dryer year with rains events not as often as other years but were still getting timely rains and sub soil is full. Basically i always said Canada is a difficult place to grow a crop, no two years are alike and you can't always every year grow a bumper crop its canada it doesn't happen.

Comment

Focus guys focus.... back to the Crop Report.

I only planted 4 crops:

Wheat, decent establishment but the too dry for too long took it's toll. Especially wheat on flax stubble. Overall the crop never seemed "lush" at it's early growth stages.... probably too busy chasing moisture deeper!

Peas, are OK but too thin for my liking, I think my seed was a little too dry for Bourgault's distribution system.

Flax, establishment was OK under the circumstances, sprayed half of it and see afew more coming after the first half inch of rain.

Canola, canola, canola, likely three growth stages. But looking a little bit better everyday as the crop cabbages out and the gaps and holes are filled in by the second and likely third growths... lol. For what it went through I am happy with what's there. I've seen alot worse(and better).

How do you grow malt barley with two growth stages? How do you time fungicide applications(if required) and swathing operations in multiple growth stage canola? There are some real ugly crops in this area because of poor establishment.

Thank God for the rain..... would have been dismal without it.

Comment

[QUOTE=SASKFARMER3;348495]Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_5ba.jpg
Size:	9.4 KB
ID:	765594

My kinda agrologist!!!

Comment

3 tenths of rain all spring, and wind 27 out of the last 30 days sums up what's happening here.
                    Heard of early durum heading at less than a ft tall.

Comment

Finished spraying. One benefit of being a small farmer.
                      Wheat looks OK. Some drowned and low spots still have water.should yield average for our farm.
                      Canola looks OK from the road.but from sprayer there is lots of zero.thin patches.yellow leaves from to much water.
                      2 fields will be poor just hard dirt that cannot absorb large amounts of rain . Yield there will be poor already..
                      Some neighbors crops look poor from the road..so they must really be ugly up close.
                      No prize for a yr..but started out to wet so what can we expect?
                      Hope for high prices to compensate.

Comment

Originally posted by SASKFARMER3 View Post
                        [ATTACH]1573[/ATTACH]

Sask3 sure nice to see you have your mind on something other than those hated NDs

Comment

Originally posted by bigzee View Post
                          3 tenths of rain all spring, and wind 27 out of the last 30 days sums up what's happening here.
                          Heard of early durum heading at less than a ft tall.
                          I feel your pain, nothing grows without rain. Dry land farmers are always one rain and one degree away from a nice crop. If it hadn't rained when it did our soil would have been in the neighbouring RM. Even with 2 inches of rain, crops are stunted, gardens too-weeds don't even look vigorous. (Too dry for too long and way too much wind.) It's trying to pull the plants out of the ground.

Pulse crops still doing ok in your neck of the woods?

Comment

Originally posted by sumdumguy View Post
                            I feel your pain, nothing grows without rain. Dry land farmers are always one rain and one degree away from a nice crop. If it hadn't rained when it did our soil would have been in the neighbouring RM. Even with 2 inches of rain, crops are stunted, gardens too-weeds don't even look vigorous. (Too dry for too long and way too much wind.) It's trying to pull the plants out of the ground.

Pulse crops still doing ok in your neck of the woods?
                            Peas and lentils short!! Peas not vining.
                            One neighbour who seeded peas early are just flowering and are beer can and a half in height.

Comment

crops look real good other than being late. not perfect , but pretty happy with what we were dealt here in the last 12 months .1.3" here since last Friday . it's going to have to. quit now , or we will be in trouble again . a 2" rain would kill us . very few finished here , most have a quarter or two . still seeing some crop to harvest . was hauling wheat on Monday . north of tisdale sure is wet , worse than us I think . seeing lots of yellowing in wheel tracks and runs , just too much f$&King water . about half done spraying . worked land prior to seeding looks better , maybe all our ruts will pay off, lol

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...