• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Planter / drill

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how is it for going through mud or wet spots?

Comment

Someone please call a whambulance for me.....

My piece of shit paralink and crap Rogator make a shitty job of getting a crop established. Have to start looking for some better performing iron. Good thing Farm Progress show is.this month.
      Last edited by farmaholic; Jun 12, 2017, 12:43.

Comment

Lol. Tweety. Your ignorance glows off the page lol

Comment

Tweety, as far as row spacing for canola I would disagree with you on narrower is always better. Canola would in my opinion benefit from wider row spacing due to a better aerated canopy. Very interested in what you have for a drill. In my experience neighbor with 5710 and 5810 bourgault drill have good germ. In my own case I have used both a flexi oil 5000 with 3.5 inch Dutch low draft and my present drill with atom jet sideband. I experienced no loss of yield going from twin row Dutch to single row both on 10 inch spacing in cereals. In Canola I would say on average I experienced a slight yield improvement with the atom jet over the Dutch low draft but no testing to back that up. More consistent germ for sure. It would be interesting to hear from seedmaster owners with a ultra pro canola meter.

Comment

t
            Originally posted by tweety View Post
            Really only proves how crappy your Bourgault is. Lots of drills can seed just as nice as that planter. A 15" row spacing in lots of trials has shown reduced yield to narrower so you are already behind. For example winter wheat:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1542[/ATTACH]

Even corn on 12 inch spacing with up to 100,000 seeds per acre shows much higher yields, they are just harder to harvest with existing row spaced eq.

They originally were 40 inch spacing because that was the width of a horse, then 30 because that would accommodate most tractor tires. But most progressive farmers and researchers know that narrow spacing is the key to better yields.

So maybe don't get trapped in the past with your thinking.
            you are a piece of work ?
            curious , what's your seeding unit of choice ?

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
              Someone please call a whambulance for me.....

My piece of shit paralink and crap Rogator make a shitty job of getting a crop established. Have to start looking for some better performing iron. Good thing Farm Progress show is.this month.
              I love my rogator, lol

Comment

Braveheart
                We used a fwa JD 8310 R

Comment

I've been reading a lot of research and experiences of farmers in the US with seeding corn at 15" versus 30" and getting better yields. Makes sense to me as 12" by 15" is better spacing than 6" by 30" in terms of equal room to grow. Had our corn custom seeded with a planter in 30" rows this year but wish i'd read the research earlier - especially as ours will be grazed so corn headers aren't an issue.
                  I'd love to be able to seed corn on 30" rows and seed hairy vetch down the middle but I guess the planter that did ours wasn't designed to do that?

Comment

Grass there's a guy down by pilot mound with a great plains twin row machine... He can actually plant cover crops along with double corn rows.

Comment

hey farma most guys here in oz love rogators almost deemed to be the rolls Royce of sprayers.
                      ps I don't own one never been in one

Comment

Sounds like what i'm after Klause, i'll have to investigate. thanks.

Comment

“What we found was that yield declined linearly when you went from nine-inch row spacing to 24-inch row spacing. Even under optimum conditions of good soil fertility, very good weed management, sometimes even hand weeding of plots, good flea beetle control and little disease pressure, we saw declining yields with wider row spacing,” says Randy Kutcher, with AAFC at Melfort, Sask., when he conducted the trials (Kutcher is now with the Crop Development Centre at the University of Saskatchewan). Declining yields were especially the case with the 18- and 24-inch row spacing. Differences between the nine- and 12-inch row spacings were more limited.

If you do careful measurements and follow a good fair protocol, its consistent. Or you can believe a "feeling", then row space doesn't matter.

[URL="https://www.topcropmanager.com/corn/wide-row-spacing-can-cut-canola-yield-16259"]https://www.topcropmanager.com/corn/wide-row-spacing-can-cut-canola-yield-16259[/URL]

So as usual, get called a troll. Show some peer reviewed science where row spacing doesn't affect yield, where yield improves with a corn planter....

Why not just get one of these ordered [URL="https://www.realagriculture.com/2017/06/techtour-manitoba-farmer-gives-planters-a-new-look/"]https://www.realagriculture.com/2017/06/techtour-manitoba-farmer-gives-planters-a-new-look/[/URL]

Comment

Tweety you just don't get it...it isn't the info you present, that is fine.....it is the ignorant, unnecessary jabs you make....you must be an interesting neighbor if you farm.

Comment

We are talking canola , not wheat .
                              No one in there right mind would use 15 in space around here in wheat , let alone a planter

Comment

12 in spacing in corn would never get a mature cob in this part of the world .
                                Is all that research you quoted from north west Sask ??

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...
                                X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                                You agree to our and by clicking I agree.