• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

farmaholic ???'s

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

farmaholic ???'s

You've been posting about going back into planted fields and seeding low/wet areas that have since dried.

Are you implementing strategies to bring the maturity of those later planted areas, in with the harvest of the main field?

Are you using more fertilizer, less fertilizer, NO fertilizer?

Seeding even shallower?

Bumping the seed rate to 1.5X, even 2X, even more, what you would have used on the main part of the field?

Thinking we'll have some areas like that here and looking for ways from later planted crop to catch up.

Gracious Amigo

No Fert other than what I spread on the other day that was left over in the seed cart(bigger potholes only). Seeding "Rig" is an old 14 foot Seedrite with the mounted rod assembly removed and harrows mounted on that square tube so when you lift the openers out of the ground the harrows lift as well. Pot holes have to preworked to use this thing.

Usually try to seed the same grain as is in the rest of the field unless it gets too late then the only thing I care about is getting something growing in those spots, other than weeds, to use up the moisture so that maybe we stand a better chance of getting into them next season.

We just use normal seeding rates. Shallow for quick emergence would be good, when you can.

This operation is anything but high tech.... just get something growing in those spots.

Comment

A little embarrassing but WTF, gets the job done.

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post

A little embarrassing but WTF, gets the job done.
        It's paid for.

Comment

Nope, I owe more on it than it's worth. Banks can't foreclose on me.... they're into me for way too much!

Comment

Why would you take the rod-weeder out? One of the best weed killers ever. I have the same unit ( pulled by a 4230 though haha ) haven't used it in years though.

Comment

Stoney, weren't those things horrible in trashy conditions. Alot of the pot holes we're seeding this spring were tilled and rolled with a land roller last fall, so they are in decent shape.

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
                Stoney, weren't those things horrible in trashy conditions. Alot of the pot holes we're seeding this spring were tilled and rolled with a land roller last fall, so they are in decent shape.
                They didn't care for hardheads either ( pretty hard on the rod ) the fert. system was a disaster, but in decent conditions i always liked the way the rod layed the weeds on top of ground.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                • Return to Topic List
                Working...