• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Last weeks rains .....

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last weeks rains .....

Those areas continue to get daily rain / hail . Not fun , some guys just trying to get started in those areas.

Ok...here we go, and this isn't about which condition, too wet or too dry is worse. But here I sit still waiting for it to rain like others are waiting for it to quit, not fun either when I'm "all in". Canola seed stranded in dry dirt, fully fertilized, Authority on flax....all need a drink. Deep seeded crops are ok.

I'm seeding more potholes this afternoon, tempting rain. There's a chance this afternoon, then mid week looks like another "chance". "GLADLY" sacrifice the pothole effort for some meaningful rain.....stoopid way to make a living. Unreal risk.

Comment

Our rain fall amounts haven't been excessive this spring. Our land is just water logged from last summers rain and the cold damp spring weather that won't dry anything.

Comment

I don't think we've had two tenths of rain, total, since that last blast of April snow.

Comment

We have only had about 1/2" but 2"-3" down and it is solid muck. Frost finally out and conditions are improving. Potholes disappearing daily. Top 1" is all dust and 2" is lumps when worked. Poor seed bed, afraid poor germ till 3/10" to fix the stranded seeds. Roads are all sponges.

Comment

My clay land got packed so hard from last years heavy rain that even if it is wet or dry it will be lumpy and hard once we seed it then if it is warm and windy it will dry out to just below the seed. The only thing that will save you is a little light rain after you seed. My wife thinks I am nuts. crying about rain all spring then all of a sudden wanting rain.
            Last edited by seldomseen; May 21, 2017, 18:11.

Comment

Things getting hard here as well on anything seeded last week before the last rain . Wheel tracks on gumbo like cement

Comment

**** me.... our farm is the genesis or eye of a huge thermal column....hot air rising, taking with it any available moisture to be carried away to fall somewhere else. Or Splitting, or simply evaporating any on coming moisture diverting it somewhere else. No wonder it's so windy here all the time..... air rushing in to fill the void created by the thermal column.

Speaking of wind, speeds just went up 10km/hr since I wrote this ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
                  **** me.... our farm is the genesis or eye of a huge thermal column....hot air rising, taking with it any available moisture to be carried away to fall somewhere else. Or Splitting, or simply evaporating any on coming moisture diverting it somewhere else. No wonder it's so windy here all the time..... air rushing in to fill the void created by the thermal column.

Gotta wonder if the frost damaged stuff will put down roots fast enough to catch the fleeting moisture.

Comment

Well at least you have a chance of a crop , lots here have no chance
                    Thank god for triples and diff locks !

Comment

Originally posted by caseih View Post

Well at least you have a chance of a crop , lots here have no chance
                      Thank god for triples and diff locks !
                      Looks like your moving in that pic? Runs stay clear?

Comment

That pic is unbelievable I'm getting stuck on ground that looks dry but muck underneath. Thunderstorm and hard rain here today don't know if I will finish seeding but no big deal only 160 acres left.

Comment

Originally posted by biglentil View Post
                          Looks like your moving in that pic? Runs stay clear?
                          Yea its surprising , gone thru about 10 like that on this quarter and nothing plugged at all. Good bottom here dont get stuck at all. Thinking of mounting an outboard on back of tank. Kinda be like rear wheel assist. Lol . Gonna be a lot of land not seeded here

Comment

You're right case......I do have a chance. As I said deep seeded crops will be off to a decent start.

Did you have go through that?

Comment

You're right case......I do have a chance. As I said deep seeded crops will be off to a decent start.

Did you have go through that?
                              Just takes to long otherwise when theres about 20 on a quarter and sprayer doesnt like cross ruts when you do go around them . Still better than sitting at least got a couple quarters in and supposed to rain tommorow

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...