• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Frozen canola,,,

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Frozen canola,,,

Just sprayed a "post plant, pre emerge", wheat field this evening as it was too windy earlier in the week. It was on RR canola stubble, and man were there ever large areas where the volunteer canola was frozen out. Sized from two true leaves to about six leaves. Would have been sick if that would have been planted canola. Had always thought that volunteer canola was hardier than seeded canola.
    Heck we weren't even that cold minus 1.5-2.0 maybe at the coldest.

Any reports from the colder areas? Maybe the planted canola wasn't out of the ground enough yet? Some of ours was planted, but not up yet.

it just smoked the alfalfa here and was only -3

Comment

Originally posted by caseih View Post
      it just smoked the alfalfa here and was only -3
      There wasn't anything that took the -7 here very well except the dandelions and thistles. The conditions are getting quite dry so its like a double wammy. I think I got lucky enough that I do not have to reseed any canola. A number of go getter BTO's are reseeding canola, local dealer is nervous about payment on their bills. Keeping a close eye out for flea beatles in the canola and untreated mustard. Nothin yet.
      Last edited by biglentil; May 21, 2017, 07:22.

Comment

Just getting ready to go on an inspection tour.
        Have noticed that direct seeding equipment that leaves straw thrown aside from covering seed furrows tends to reduce frost damage on canola, hoping it still holds true.

Comment

Hopalong which no till drills leave the furrow black? I also think a black furrow makes plants germinate quicker and help protect from frost. Been having trouble figuring out which drills are the best at keeping the straw out of the furrow.

Comment

Originally posted by poorboy View Post
            Hopalong which no till drills leave the furrow black? I also think a black furrow makes plants germinate quicker and help protect from frost. Been having trouble figuring out which drills are the best at keeping the straw out of the furrow.

.....speed.

Comment

Back from tour, only significant damage to canola was part of field shaded by trees from early morning sunshine. Barley leaves touched but plants notkilled.
              Only experience with direct seeding drills is seed hawk and seed master.
              Would agree that speed is bigger factor than brand.

Comment

Stealth paired row leave it black.

Comment

Our canola looks ok. Drill is a NH P2070. Double shoot off one shank. It leaves a fairly black furrow.

Comment

I have a bourgault paralink with 3/4" knives. Seedrow seems to always be covered in straw in heavy residue fields no matter what speed I go. Light trash fields are not too bad for covering the rows. Over the years it has been obvious that when the canola gets froze in the spring, it is much worse where no black shows in the seed row.

No double shank drills around me, but I did wonder if they were better. Had a deere 1830 with 10" space and 3.5" dutch low draft tips and they were still bad for trash over the seed row at 4.5 mph.

Is the height you cut the stubble at important? I have been cutting mostly at 6" high lately, but it does put a lot of residue all over the ground, especially in barley.

Comment

I thought there was a consensus that straw covered ground has more frost risk vs black ground?

I always rationalized it by feeling that the black ground absorbs and radiates the heat better. The straw covered ground is colder longer.

We dodged a bullet with the frost but our canola was just a day or so late enough and was on fairly blackened ground

Comment

Originally posted by Ache4Acres View Post
                        I thought there was a consensus that straw covered ground has more frost risk vs black ground?

I always rationalized it by feeling that the black ground absorbs and radiates the heat better. The straw covered ground is colder longer.

We dodged a bullet with the frost but our canola was just a day or so late enough and was on fairly blackened ground
                        Yes black ground has less frost damage. I live in a dry area and still no till to grow a decent crop. So far I find it hard to get a black seed trench with my bourgault. Don't know if it's how I operate it or if I should look at different brands of drills.

Comment

Stupidity in this country is rewarded with seed early take a chance with spring frost and if it happens get your seed costs covered. WTF.

No wonder our seed is going so high.

quit rewarding stupidity.

Comment

Tell DeLage that SF3.

So the crop isn't "picture perfect" so got to reseed? Second attempt still on time but first attempt got a major setback.

Like every other year we got froze....some are completely pinched off, some are re-growing from the growing point and this time some are fine and not all was up either. Its a risk you take but I did say to the team here....at the cost of planting canola, you would think we should/would "respect the money". Still waiting for that shot of rain! It would sure help the shallow seeded stuff....chances seem diminish with every passing day as we get closer to the systems arrival.....farming is a tough gig, who in their right mind would take this much risk?

Comment

Seed into dust the bins will bust? I am going out to pray to the Montana God of the lows.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...