• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Farm auction prices on a runaway

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agree 100% , if you are any more than 5-10 miles Tandems are a waste of time for most .
    Also agree paying these big $ for tandems at auctions is kinda out there , but so is $400,000 for a 1/4 of dirt, $600,000 for an air drill, tractor, sprayer or combine ... or $120 rent but it is what it is logical in today's world?
    Just sayin , it's all relative in their own world. Every single farm has a different mindset and end goal.
    We don't have a grain cart or a set of B's - does that make me a less of a farmer ?
    The next guy may have 4 B's and a grain cart but with crop out right now does that make him less or more of a farmer ? No , it's all relative . It is what it is.
    With the cost of anything nowadays, it's kinda interesting to criticize the price that others pay for anything - nothing makes much sense lol.
    What makes sense to one guy may make absolutely no sense to anyone else .

Comment

Tandems are for guys not willing to go for their 1A. Many farmers do no realize since 2015 an air brake endorsement is now required for tandems with air brakes. Going for a 1a is no cake walk. 1st you need to pass a transport medical, write 5 mini exams for your learners plus another one for your air endorsement. Challenging it is not really an option, a one week course minimum is virtually mandatory. Your intructor will know the exact course your examiner takes you on. And do not expect that your sgi examiner will cut you any slack cause your a farmer.

Comment

Furrow

What do you haul on a tandem load?

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
          Hobby believes in doing less for more! He got out of commodity ag where we do more for less.

Apply the principle where you want. True in some aspects of the two methods and not others.
          Half a crop, twice the price! End result is similar to others, Possibly less frustrating pushing the production through the system to get grain sold. It is not perfect, it's just different.
          I load a btrain to market if I get enough of a crop.

Comment

Its not as simple as just comparing a tandem vs a semi unit. Everyone and I mean everyone that runs semi units here must have a grain cart as well which then also puts as many or more hours on a tractor in the fall as in the spring pulling it around.

Comment

Depends Bucket , leagal is about 14.5 tn.
              But agan mostly bin bottoms or if time allows , other wise it's our custom guy.
              When the kids get less busy and we have more time , then the tandem will be a chore truck for us.
              There is a guy here with a tri drive with a 25 ft , 66" sides with a tridem pup that hauls more than a super B legal . That may be an option but kinda pricey .

Comment

There's guys that farm 1500 acres or less and haul locally 8 or 12 miles. A tandem works just fine for that. Not everyone is a bto

I have a Ford 3-ton works well for shuffling grain from bin to bin or drying etc

Comment

I get the 8 to 10 mile haul with a tandem but they are priced high on auctions.

One went for 137000 nearby and that would buy a nice B train and power unit.

Comment

We still have three tandems, One mac, one LTL9000 and one old GMC C70 Tandem. Hey we only use them every once and a while. One sits at the seed plant. One is a spare if needed. Old girl is just if have a few bushels and need some place to dump it.

Semi's do all grain hauling to town.

Comment

For sure tandems at auctions are high.
                      Like anything I guess if you shop around there are deals out there for semi trucks or tandems . We got our last one several years ago at less than 1/2 of what they are selling for now. Not sure I would replace it now at current levels. Agree $130,000 or whatever would buy a very nice super B set up or tridem trailer and truck. I guess anything that sells high at an auction is not just one guy , someone else was bidding him up to get it as well. Makes it interesting on the value of equipment or land though. Good stuff seems to keep going up.
                      One thing that takes a beating in general is airdrills - but they can be area or farm specific to a point. 5710's now sell for less than scrap iron prices at some sales.
                      Every year there seems to be a few auctions that sell very high , but at the end of the day it's still interesting to see all that iron find a home somewhere.
                      A CX 860 with 1500 hrs sold for $150 K yesterday. But a tough fall last year pushed their value up I would think.
                      On a lot a dealer would have a tough time getting over $100 K a year ago.

Comment

Let me take this down a notch further.... here in the slum of the Ghetto, there is a 1966 IH Loadstar(last year I took it to Blair's Ag and picked up about 8t of S15, it was 50 years old last year, I did it for that reason) and 74 GMC three ton that see some action. The tandem is an 07 Pete with a CIM box and the Tridem is an 09 Kenworth daycab and a Wilson tridem(14,000 kg total weight). The Pete is heavy, about 10 tonne itself so a 24.5 GVW lets you haul about 530 bu of wheat or 640 of $12 canola ;-0, probably always heavy on steering axle.

Comment

I will take myself down a notch today. 3" wet snow on top of a totally saturated yard from week of similar. Now seed plant calls. I'll have to halter break everything.
                          Its just hard for me sometimes to justify. acs/combine, acs/hour on combine. No family. No one under 50 can drive these old tanks. Almost anyone can run a cart. Easier to pay for qualified 1a driver especially if 18 or 13 speed.
                          Had my old W900 bush queen up for sale. Cant stand money in idle iron. Nobody wants to pay full salvage value. It wont further depreciate. Repair or blowup risk of course. But I guess for $10k she can stick around for playing in the mud. Cart on the want list regardless. Old RD612 stuck on sprayer.

Now, $132k on a light binder is just dairyman prices.
                          Question. Why do some compare land prices to machine prices. One does not break or depreciate.
                          Hauling own to terminal covers trailer payment. Decisions based on harvest efficiency.
                          Last edited by blackpowder; Apr 25, 2017, 08:36.

Comment

The farmers in the 1500-2000 range still use tandems. It depends on what you are growing and the distance your land base is from the homestead that my determine what type of piece of equipment is required. Why not hire a trunking outfit with super-Bs to haul your product, makes life a little easier.

Comment

On our farm, it's handy having a few (cheap) tandems around. Sometimes we think they are unnecessary until you need one Pronto.

Comment

Auction prices for good used equipment will stay strong, not because of Ag,,,but because of the low Canadian dollar policy of the federal Liberal party. As long as New equipment prices sky rocket because of the low CAD, and Canadian grain prices fail to rise equally for the currency exchange, enriching Liberal party friends, the Richardson family,,,,used equipment will keep on rising. The same thing happened when Justin's old man was PM. I remember my dad getting more for his combines and tractors than he paid for them after using them for 10 years. Just the same the new pieces my dad bought with those good trade-ins, were considered astronomical at the time. Inflation was painful, oh ya,,,lookup where grain prices were at the time.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...
                                X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                                You agree to our and by clicking I agree.