• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weren't we buying beef from Brazil?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weren't we buying beef from Brazil?

in these great trade deals while Canadian ranchers were paid low amounts for beef were we importing rotten beef from Brazil? Can't wait for dairy to be shipped from some of those other low cost places where we have no say in the quality of the product and we have cut the inspection people down to the point we aren't inspecting food entering.
    Something to think about when little johnny is eating breakfast with a glass of milk and bacon from God knows where.

But it s a sacrifice well worth it I guess so that we keep our products like oil moving out and the wealth building as it is now.

This scandal is definitely supporting the cattle board. Should support North American beef exports.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-03-21/why-brazil-s-tainted-meat-probe-worries-the-world-quicktake-q-a

Comment

Looked like the cattle markets... as in the auction ....had 500lb to 650lb weight calves up considerably since mid February.

Comment

COOL was no good when only one country was doing it. However I for one would appreciate seeing which country my beef was coming from. Not only would it be easier to support local but one could research other countries to see how safe their beef is compared to Canada raised.

America can talk a good talk but they do have lower standards than us in many things. They don't have compulsory RFID for tracing animals for instance. And their regulations about feeding animal products to cattle aren't as encompassing as ours. They can still feed feather meal for instance. And a few of their drugs definitely have shorter/no withdrawal times compared to here.

I'm sure there's things that we do more lax than them as well. Not saying that at all.

I'm not against importing foreign beef. But let's have something at the store telling us which is which instead of just assuming the cheap beef is imported and the expensive stuff is Canada AAA. Sure in tough times people go for the less expensive option a lot of the time. But who's to say if there's a big maple leaf on the package they might be willing to pay those $2 more.

Comment

This Brazil scandal has ignited strong Cdn cattle feeding profits. This is great news and badly needed after last year's feeding wreck. Is the cattle board now in a blow-off top or the start of another leg higher?

JBS Brazil apparently has suspended beef production at 33 of its 36 plants until they get clarification on the export situation.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
          • Return to Topic List
          Working...
          X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
          You agree to our and by clicking I agree.