Curious tb development

Beef Production

Tools

Curious tb development

Nov 18, 2016 | 15:41 1 Alberta tb positive cow was a strain from Mexico! Likely a mix up in carcasses on the line (accidentally on purpose)doubtful the cow was holidaying in Mexico!
Fodder to reinstate COOL. Reply With Quote
Nov 18, 2016 | 17:02 2 False flag Reply With Quote
Nov 18, 2016 | 20:51 3 Reports I'm seeing say there are 5 more confirmed cases in the herd of origin so I'm guessing the type of TB last detected in Mexico has made it's way here? Reply With Quote
Nov 19, 2016 | 13:09 4 Thats really weird. Not a lot of cattle coming north from Mexico though. Roping steers perhaps? Or maybe it's in the states and hasn't been found yet. It's hard to imagine it just magically jumped a whole country. Looks like a good detective is needed on this one. Reply With Quote
Blaithin's Avatar Nov 19, 2016 | 14:07 5 Rodeo stock moves around quite a bit.

I haven't found anything on Alberta Beef about there being more animals testing positive yet. Has anyone heard anything about them testing the Elk?

I don't think it would be hard for it to jump a country so to say, in wildlife. But if it has, that means it's probably left a trail across America as well, which is a daunting thought. Reply With Quote
Nov 19, 2016 | 15:22 6 Without scapegoating anyone how transmissible is TB? Would it travel on someone's dirty boots? Reply With Quote
Nov 20, 2016 | 05:51 7 Around Riding Mountain National Park the sharing of hay bales is considered a major culprit. Fenced hay yards are used. Other than that I think it's mainly airborn. It's a hazard for packing plant employees handle lungs too. carried on boots is something I haven't heard mentioned.

Here in Manitoba hunters submit deer and elk lung samples for testing. It's an easy way to check the wildlife. Reply With Quote
SCS
Dec 1, 2016 | 17:23 8 Reaching out to North West Saskatchewan now, really ugly! Reply With Quote
Blaithin's Avatar Dec 1, 2016 | 17:30 9
Quote Originally Posted by SCS View Post
Reaching out to North West Saskatchewan now, really ugly!
Where in the North West? I can't find anything that's said it's made it farther than the "less than 5" locations in south west Saskatchewan. Reply With Quote
SCS
Dec 1, 2016 | 19:19 10 Wait and see, needles on Tuesday, read on Friday and depopulated because of 17 cows in pasture effected five years ago. Could really spider web out from PF pastures! Real ugly for no reason! Reply With Quote
Dec 3, 2016 | 14:52 11 Holy shit which pf pasture? Reply With Quote
SCS
Jan 18, 2017 | 06:59 12 The last of the cows left for slaughter today, if they to come up clean there will no more depopulation! So far all have been good! Reply With Quote
SCS
Feb 4, 2017 | 21:12 13 And now all calves are gone! Reply With Quote
Feb 5, 2017 | 07:55 14 Sorry to hear that SCS, must have been traumatic for you. Seems like a bit of overkill, if you excuse the expression, testing tens of thousands of cattle and then slaughtering them despite having only found the 6 cases in one herd. How many thousand more are going to be slaughtered? Reply With Quote
Feb 5, 2017 | 09:29 15 Gosh cfia is using the same response regime from the bse days except you can live test for tb. Shame SCS your guys herds had to go down. Reply With Quote
Feb 5, 2017 | 13:30 16
Quote Originally Posted by WiltonRanch View Post
Gosh cfia is using the same response regime from the bse days except you can live test for tb. Shame SCS your guys herds had to go down.
Surely you are thinking of the hoof and mouth in the UK Wilton Ranch? I don't think they ever depopulated a herd because of BSE either here or in the UK. We routine tested for TB in the UK over the years, re-tested 6 weeks later any that showed reaction to the first test and I guess if they were positive they were culled, not the whole herd. We never had any with TB on our place. Reply With Quote
Feb 5, 2017 | 17:00 17
Quote Originally Posted by grassfarmer View Post
Surely you are thinking of the hoof and mouth in the UK Wilton Ranch? I don't think they ever depopulated a herd because of BSE either here or in the UK. We routine tested for TB in the UK over the years, re-tested 6 weeks later any that showed reaction to the first test and I guess if they were positive they were culled, not the whole herd. We never had any with TB on our place.
Oh they depopulated trace backs. Know several guys personally who lost their whole herds because of a connection to the original case of bse. Reply With Quote
Feb 5, 2017 | 20:14 18 I stand corrected. Kinda stupid though - not like it was contagious. Fair enough culling birth cohorts as they did in the UK but not much point in culling whole herds where a BSE case resided at some point in its life. Reply With Quote
Feb 5, 2017 | 20:32 19
I stand corrected. Kinda stupid though - not like it was contagious. Fair enough culling birth cohorts as they did in the UK but not much point in culling whole herds where a BSE case resided at some point in its life.
Exactly. Reply With Quote
SCS
Feb 6, 2017 | 19:58 20 Wasn't our herd but sons and customers he fed for, do hope someone writes a book on the blunders and stupidity of CFIA. Messages could change three time a day about what was going on and all contradictory.

Done now and hopefully their sacrifice will keep Canada's borders open! Reply With Quote
SCS
Feb 6, 2017 | 20:00 21
Surely you are thinking of the hoof and mouth in the UK Wilton Ranch? I don't think they ever depopulated a herd because of BSE either here or in the UK. We routine tested for TB in the UK over the years, re-tested 6 weeks later any that showed reaction to the first test and I guess if they were positive they were culled, not the whole herd. We never had any with TB on our place.
Yes they did depopulate because of BSE, Mel Macrea lost every animal! Reply With Quote
Feb 6, 2017 | 21:19 22
Quote Originally Posted by SCS View Post
Wasn't our herd but sons and customers he fed for, do hope someone writes a book on the blunders and stupidity of CFIA. Messages could change three time a day about what was going on and all contradictory.

Done now and hopefully their sacrifice will keep Canada's borders open!
I knew your son was cleaned out but mistakenly thought you were cleaned out too. But it pisses me off this deal cause this isn't regular protocol for tb. Just another ham fisted response to appease somebody. Reply With Quote
SCS
Feb 7, 2017 | 21:26 23 If we were cleaned out wouldn't be checking on this site, 300 PB cattle times $10000, and 100 times 4500, but still would want to be in the industry1 Reply With Quote
Feb 7, 2017 | 22:17 24 SCS So that is right $4500/cow and $1700/ calf. Now that is overkill. Reply With Quote
SCS
Feb 7, 2017 | 22:26 25 No. No. No. Reply With Quote