• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NY Times broken promises of GMO

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NY Times broken promises of GMO

An interesting article in the NY Times demonstrating yield increases and chemical usage compared to non-GMO in Europe. It backs up what some of you report seeing on your farms. The graphs show the trends clearly.
    To read the full article click on the link at the end of the first paragraph.

[URL="http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/10/30/business/gmo-crops-pesticides.html?smid=tw-share&_r=0"]http://http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/10/30/business/gmo-crops-pesticides.html?smid=tw-share&_r=0[/URL]

Originally posted by grassfarmer View Post
    An interesting article in the NY Times demonstrating yield increases and chemical usage compared to non-GMO in Europe. It backs up what some of you report seeing on your farms. The graphs show the trends clearly.
    To read the full article click on the link at the end of the first paragraph.

[URL="http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/10/30/business/gmo-crops-pesticides.html?smid=tw-share&_r=0"]http://http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/10/30/business/gmo-crops-pesticides.html?smid=tw-share&_r=0[/URL]
    Good article. I am somewhat skeptic if this is the entire truth. Most farmers here can not farm without glyphosate or canola. That said, those farmers have consistently grown tremendous crops, accumulated wealth AND feed the world like never before. I am on the outside looking in and from what I see It looks like GMOs are working well "here".

Comment

And now for the rest of the story ......
      Products like manipulator and many other growth hormones along with much higher fertility rates and fungicides are used to get high yields .
      But the story is correct that GMO crops do not on their own get higher yields .
      Europe has a unique climate and has had much better agronomics the past 15 years. Farmers are pushing yields over there because they can afford to with big government support . I am not saying that it's right or wrong , it is what it is.
      Cereal yields In this part of the world have doubled as well without GMO . Farmers are using better agronomics than ever before here as well.
      As with canola - clearfield canola , non GMO , in this area produces some of the highest canola yields year after year .
      BT res corn has dramatically reduced insecticide in corn crops in the U.S.
      Sclerotina res canola is now doing the same in western Canada .
      So IMO , there is room for both . The anti GMO crowd needs to stop and look at facts from both sides

Comment

Its the NY times. They are in bed with every left wing looney tune politicians study or idea everytime they print a story. They wouldn't know the truth if it jumped up and bit them in the ass. Headlines sell papers. Outrageous ones sell more.

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
          And now for the rest of the story ......
          Products like manipulator and many other growth hormones along with much higher fertility rates and fungicides are used to get high yields .
          But the story is correct that GMO crops do not on their own get higher yields .
          Europe has a unique climate and has had much better agronomics the past 15 years. Farmers are pushing yields over there because they can afford to with big government support . I am not saying that it's right or wrong , it is what it is.
          Cereal yields In this part of the world have doubled as well without GMO . Farmers are using better agronomics than ever before here as well.
          As with canola - clearfield canola , non GMO , in this area produces some of the highest canola yields year after year .
          BT res corn has dramatically reduced insecticide in corn crops in the U.S.
          Sclerotina res canola is now doing the same in western Canada .
          So IMO , there is room for both . The anti GMO crowd needs to stop and look at facts from both sides
          Agreed. The solution in North America is not GMOs, or organic. It is nutrition, nutrition, nutrition. The best food a human body can eat does not have a label, a package, or a mascot and usually is perishable.

Dont get me wrong, big business ontrols farmers by forcing them to buy their technology in "their" seeds but that is a different 3 beer discussion.

Comment

Right on Hobby. Straight out of Babas garden u can't go wrong

Comment

Originally posted by seabass View Post
              Right on Hobby. Straight out of Babas garden u can't go wrong
              We grew up with a big garden and free range chickens . I didnt like all the work but the food was good. Our grandparents and parents knew what was necessary to keep everybody alive.
              I never cared too much about any of that stuff, but now its discouraging to see how the food industry has taken over and sells sugar in everything.

Comment

There was a time when an old man was aged 50. Do you want that back too?.

That "old man" also had some horses; no electricity; a damn cold house and most worked their asses off on little over a quarter section. At 6 billion (and climbing) compared to 1 1/2 billion souls; we aren't going back until the reset button is pushed.

Still want to push the reset button?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                • Return to Topic List
                Working...
                X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                You agree to our and by clicking I agree.