• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Crop disease ... Getting outa hand ?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here in southern Mb, the first time we got wiped out by FHB was back in the early 90's. No glyphosate used on our farm at that time.

Comment

Thx for the replies - interesting
      Biglentil, what is your rotation and fertility, if you don't mind me asking ?
      Also were you just wet this year , or a few years ?
      Some were dry last year and are saturated bad this year .

Comment

Curious on the seed treatment as we never use to use one and now its on everything. Also we have dropped a fungicide with the in crop spray and go just with head or flag now.

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
          Thx for the replies - interesting
          Biglentil, what is your rotation and fertility, if you don't mind me asking ?
          Also were you just wet this year , or a few years ?
          Some were dry last year and are saturated bad this year .
          Glenn, Lentil, Glenn, Yellow Mustard rotation on that ground its a bit lighter so I don't shoot for the moon. 75-30-0-0 groceries '14 and this year wet like most on Glenn years.

Comment

No conventional seed treatment. No fungicide. Hauling #1 wheat into the elevator.

Cost of product half that of most guys and good quality... Hmmmm....

A certain company has a heck of a game going in pulses. Sell you a hericide that is known to cause plant damage (yellowing), allowing infection, and then selling you fungicides to "fix" the prolem they caused.

Or, just use different chems, no fungicide and have more yield with 0 diesease.

This may yet come out... U of S doing studies... they were out soil sampling here and tissue testing this summer on our fields.

Now to go take a 550HP tractor and pull my semi out, so we can empty another vin of wheat and fill it with wet canola and dry it down.

I don't think hell is any worse than what we're dealing with now.

Comment

I think conventional farmers are not spraying enough. They pay for the best genetics, buy the most fertilizer possible to feed the plant , buy a $200-400,000 sprayerand then Try to get away with as few passes as possible. If the herbicide didnt work, spray it again, if the fungicide didnt work, spray it again. Run that sprayer hard, it is the most important tool on the farm to protect your investment , its not a ****ing lawn ornament.

Comment

hobby..... sarcastically priceless!

Comment

And NOTHING depreciates FASTER than HC sprayers, high cost per acre/hour. No thanks...

Comment

But but my neighbors are all doing it.

Comment

Stop spraying fungicides. Oh sure, i can hear you laugh. But you're killing all the fungus in the soil - and left with the most durable bad ass fungus with no competition - and it thrives. Is it that simple, yup. But you sure don't want to hear that now do you.

Spray more! Spray again! Spray often. Its like a cocaine addiction.

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
                        hobby..... sarcastically priceless!
                        Its only half sarcastic. My area is big farms and their sprayers might stop for 10 days in the growing season. Im sure some of that is top dressing or micronutrients or fungicides etc but they get exceptional crops. They have planes, helicopters,ground units, the employees wives out there with backpacks (joke), and they are generating wealth untold. It is actually very impressive. Salaries for all the local and import employees. They are making money and buying up all the farmland and houses (assets) possible= wealth building. When they wind down operations they will own multi millions of dollars of farmland.

Comment

Herbicide spraying never kills ALL the weeds
                          Insecticide spraying never kills ALL the bugs
                          Fungicide spraying will never kill ALL the fungi

Do I like spraying? No
                          Do we have to spray? No, not ALL the time.

By the way that damn fungicide only ever claims "suppression".
                          2015...I never used a drop.
                          This year...different story.

Quit beating us with the fusarium and vomitoxin stick and maybe we won't "think" we have to spray. Damned if you do-- damned if you don't. ..no win.

When year after year you put out the smorgasbord. ...what do you expect? Continuous cropping and wetter than normal conditions? Was summerfallow sustainable? Can you imagine the amount of water transpired from a thick lush canopy and add rain on top of that...humid much?

Comment

I agree with tweety. Also min or zero till in sk, and low disturbance seeding not drying out the ground or turning over the fungal resting bodies. In mb we till, till, till. Go black or go home!

Comment

Almost need to be a contortionist and billionaire to adapt to the ever changing conditions. Summerfallow/tillage badly degraded our soils here...now to combat disease we're to work or burn it black? I believe tillage would reduce disease but not eliminate it. When that hot ****ing wind blows with humity in the low twenties or high teens the last thing I want to do is have tilled soil with no trash cover! We dried out to the point this spring we actually stopped seeding for two and a half days.

Maybe the answer isn't tillage or fungicides but resistance bred into the cultivars. Actually some varieties are more tolerant than others today!

Comment

I believe we are applying to much nitrogen and we get unbalanced plant which make them susceptiple to fungus attacks

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...
                                X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                                You agree to our and by clicking I agree.