• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Status Quo

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Status Quo

While grain farming has been a struggle lately, I'm finding my biggest frustration lies in the politics of this business. I can not understand the following and hope someone can enlighten me. First we have a number of people fighting any change from our present system, bent on saving certain institutions in there present form yet agriculture seems to be in more trouble than it has been for a long time. People are constantly attacking free markets and big business, yet that segment of the grain business is the one that has paid the bills over the last while. We as farmers also seem scared to death that our neighbor is going to get a head of us or some company is going to benefit unfairly from our hard work. While I don't understand this kind of thinking, I'm prepared to let people live their viewpoint. My problem is that they don't force me to live it too.

This just sounds like some anti-wheat board crap! I assume that is what you are working up to! If you think that the big grain companies will market your grain(with no profit) for you and share any extras ie demurge bonus's think again!

Comment

My thought is not to argue the merits of certain institutions ( CWB) but to suggest that there is room for other viewpoints than those who rule the day. My concern on my farm at the end of the day is the return I get for my grain. If I look at other segments of agriculture, some sectors such as supply management have done well because they are a true controller of supply and other sectors such as beef and pork have manged to survive in a true free market enviroment. I have no problem with co-operative efforts (in fact think they can play a larger role in agriculture) but only ones that are entered apon of own free will, based on their merits.The polarized sectors of farmers are never likely to come together. All I'm looking for is a way we can operate with out forcing our views apon the other sector.

Comment

I may have been too harsh on you! It sounds like the merits of the cwb are OK. You just don't like being forced into a non-profit organization(CWB) that our fore fathers fought to build to protect us from the very thing that is happening in our market place right now. Personaly I love having 1 or 2 crops that I don't have to worry about marketing.On my mixed grain and cattle farm I grow many other crops other then wheat and barley and I just would not have the time to market these all effectively. As far as a supply management goes with grain we are in a global economy where every country and farmer seems to be piting against one and another. To supply manage this would take great co-operation and a group like FOS to work together! FOS will work but it is unclear if the Farmers can work together!

Comment

In the sask ag site there has been discussions about an organization called farmers of north america they seem to be going after mass buying and pass on all savings , taking no margin, on to farmers maybe you should check it out

Comment

There is no common denominator between supply management in the dairy sector and what western Canadian wheat and barley producers have with the CWB. To understand the quota system and how a dairy farm can be worth millions just by selling their quota to the highest bidder, while quota through the CWB is basically worthless illustrates the strong admiration for supply management in the control of domestic milk production. When the dairy industry wants to raise the price of milk, they simple jack up the price. Unfortunately, when the CWB wants to raise the price of wheat, it has to look at the global price and add a few bucks a tonne to the low ball price abroad. Admiration for the dairy industry and the financial gain through quota sale is aiding all domestic milk producers, especially at retirement. When a Saskatchewan grain farmer retires, their grain quota wouldn't buy the bus fare to a NDP rally, rather sad actually.

Comment

I am a member. The $150 membership fee already paid for itself. I bought mini bulk bags of Edge last fall for $760. They are talking about $6/L for glyphosate for this spring. Right now they have 1200 members representing millions of acres. Imagine what 5000 members could do!

Comment

POTO, what is it you are a member of? Where can I find out more info on it?

Comment

dfarms11 just incase poto don't reply the organization is called farmers of north america .A Saskatoon based farmer run outfit .There is a discussion in the sask ag and food site in coffee row folder fna a good thing.I also have their e-mail address fna1inc@aol.com good luck

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                  • Return to Topic List
                  Working...
                  X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                  You agree to our and by clicking I agree.