• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rye for malsters

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rye for malsters

Could someone tell me where I could send a sample of my rye for the malsters to have a look at. I have quite a bit and would like to get more than $2.00/bushel

terri, I assume you mean distillers rather than malsters. The major user of rye for distilling is Alberta Distillers & Featherstone, Ltd. in Calgary. Their grain buyer is Jeff Kozak. You can reach him at 403-265-2547 extension 337.

There are other distillers operating in Alberta. Go to www.mytelus.com and click on "Phone Book" then "Business Finder". Fill in the form by putting "Distillers" in the Category section and "Alberta" in the province. That'll give you a list.

Comment

Thanks for your help. I did mean distillers but I just did not know the right word.

Comment

terri, maybe you're a conniseur of fine liquid barley rather than liquid rye!! Can't say as I blame you. Chuckle.

If you get a chance let us know what you find out from your contacts.

Lee

Comment

I might like to buy some Rye from you. What is your email address?

Comment

My email address is morrowt@incentre.net
            I am in the Wetaskiwin area and I buy and sell all types of grain. We have rye seed at the plant for $6.30/bushel and at $6.00/bushel and then I have a lot of customers in the area, with rye.

Comment

terri, have any luck with your search for distillers looking for rye?

If you're uncomfortable sharing the list in this thread, send it to me by e-mail at lee.melvill@gov.ab.ca .

Comment

We produce 20,000 bushels a year. That is nearly the complete requirements for the distiller in Calgary. They only wanted to pay feed price in the end of July. They also prefer rye that is already one year old. THIS IS A VERY SMALL MARKET. Most of the mash is made of corn with only a small portion as rye, enough that they can call it rye wishkey.
                Millers(or brokers for millers) also want to pay feed price. Find a hog barn and get rid of it.

Comment

The Great Sandhills terminal in Leader was paying $2.75/bushel if you delivered a car lot of rye.
                  Leader

Great Sandhills Terminal Ltd.
                  Box 746 Leader, Sask. S0N 1H0
                  Ph: 1-306-628-4452 Fax: 1-306-628-3330

Comment

Just talked to Jeff Kozak at Alberta Distillers, Calgary, 403-265-2541. They are curently buying rye grain for Nov-Dec delivery at $3.00/bushel delivered to Calgary. They're buying for Jan delivery at $3.10 to $3.15/bushel. They are also buying spring or fall triticale for the same price.

They don't have, and never have had, a requirement for year-old rye. I wonder where or from which distiller that stipulation came.

Alberta Distillers does buy some corn to use in their mash but they don't use it in their "rye" mash. They only use Corn use in vodka and then only when the price is right.

Comment

Thanks for all the help. I have a couple of farmers that have 30,000-40,000 bushels and have had it for a couple of years. I will give them Jeff's name and hopefully move some.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                      • Return to Topic List
                      Working...