• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cattle levy increase

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cattle levy increase

Attended my local Manitoba Cattle Producers meeting last night - seem like a good Provincial organisation running some quite ambitious research projects.

Unfortunately much of the agenda was pushing the Canadian Cattleman's Association's National Beef strategy. With targets by 2020 to improve beef production efficiency by 15% and reduce cost disadvantages (cost of regulation) compared to competitors by 7%. The irony is they want a 150% increase in National checkoff to do this ($1 to $2.50).

So I guess as usual the producer has to become more efficient but not the organization that is supposed to represent them. We heard all about the (alleged) triumph of the TPP and CETA agreements and what is good for "the industry" but nothing about what is good for producers.

Anyone else thing this proposed levy increase is out of line?

Haven't heard what Alberta wants to do...likely the same. Haven't been to any meetings, used to attend, however, seemed like the "grass roots" just got "mowed over."

Comment

Haven't been watching lately, but Manitoba did have some good people doing producer orientated programs.
      May be well worth the xtra $$$$

Comment

This is a National levy increase so the provinces would presumably all have to raise their provincial levies $1.50 and then pass $2.50 on to Canadian Cattleman's Association instead of $1. No extra funding for the Provincial organisations per se.

Comment

All it does is shoot themselves in the foot. Provides a further incentive for producers to sell cattle in the yard, rather than at an auction mart; avoiding fees altogether.

Comment

We have our meeting next week. If last year is an indication, there should be some brisk discussion on this one. I would like to see what we get for the money.

Grassfarmer, you will likely see the Mb beef producers are a different bunch than you've been dealing with in Alberta. We've found them to be pretty good. At least they listen to us. I think the fact that we don't have the big feedlot players helps. The focus pretty much stays on the cow calf sector. The annual meeting is pretty good too. Worth attending.

Comment

Just another instance of a "government "raising taxes to sustain a system providing questionable value.

Comment

Apparently Ontario is telling them to shove it and go after the non-payers on cattle sold privately, which will bring in substantial funds. Apparently is mandated by law federally and there is a team appointed for enforcement, which involves going to active cattle operations and demanding proof of checkoff payment, or face serious fines. Be interesting to see what happens. All I know is Ontario is not playing ball with CCA.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                • Return to Topic List
                Working...