• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

when to breed

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

when to breed

Well, I don't know if I've said but
    we picked up 4 dorper ewes to breed
    as a project for the kids. We bred
    them to start at the end of april.
    Now I'm just wondering do you all
    just breed once a year or do you
    rebreed soon after lambing to try and
    get 2 lamb crops per year? I don't
    know if that is too hard on the ewes
    or not. I would think it would be but
    I thought I had heard of guys
    breeding that way. I will probably be
    asking a lot of questions as if these
    turn out good, I might just have to
    get more!

They call it accelerated lambing when you breed more than once. I haven't looked into it very far, so don't know what the economics of it are. For now, we're going to go with once a year lambing. In the future? Not sure. I guess we'll take it as it comes.

I do know that certain breeds are more suited to it than others, because they will breed "out of season". I'm not sure if Dorpers fit in that group or not.

Comment

We accelerate. We actually lamb out 3 times a year and are moving to four. Hard on them? Some would say so - but in fact we believe they work for us and not the other way around. We run three distinct families and always lamb in a big indoor pen.

We run a movable divider across the pen. As they lamb out we move them across the divider. As we get crowded we move the divider - that way we always know which girls have lambed out.

Just getting ready to move the Feb lambs and moms out of the barn as the other group has now started and we have a bunch of lambs in a covered outdoor pen.

Everyone does things differently - just do what works for YOU!

Best to all

Bez

Comment

I have no idea.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
        • Return to Topic List
        Working...
        X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
        You agree to our and by clicking I agree.