• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DTN "Is Japan Key To Beef Border Re-opening?" Report

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DTN "Is Japan Key To Beef Border Re-opening?" Report

Charlie;

I will be very surprised if the Border opens soon...

This is a partial quote from the DTN Ag Dayta Internet site I subscribe to...

"Is Japan Key To Beef Border Re-opening?"

“Analysts report that Japan's agriculture minister has already asked the U.S. to take steps to ensure the safety of its meat exports in light of the Canadian BSE discovery.
    Japanese Agriculture Minister Yoshiyuki Kamei told U.S. Ambassador Howard Baker that it was "impossible to exclude the possibility that beef of Canadian origin could be imported in Japan via the United States," and he "strongly requested" the U.S. to ensure that only safe meat is exported to Japan, according to a news release.
    Kamei suggested several measures based on Japan's own experience dealing with four BSE incidents in 2001, including screening "all cattle destined for slaughter" for the disease.
    The sources said Japanese consumers must be convinced that boneless, muscle meat from young cattle is completely safe from any BSE contamination, and that there is no risk from any other beef produced for human consumption in Canada, ODJ wrote.
    Until the Japanese accept Canadian beef as safe, it is more than likely that Americans will continue to protect their Japanese market by refusing to allow Canadian product to cross the border, wrote ODJ.
    U.S. cattlemen share that concern, worried not only about losing Japan, but also South Korea.”
    “In other mad-cow news, ODJ reports that an estimated C$20 million worth of Canadian beef that was sent to Japan and South Korea may have to be removed or destroyed because of the BSE investigation.
    "South Korea and Japan are telling us that we've got to send it back," said Cam Daniels, vice president of the Canadian Beef Export Federation.”
    “Daniels said legislation prohibits the Canadian beef from being returned to Canada since South Korea is known to have foot-and-mouth disease and Japan is known to have BSE as well.”
    “Daniels speculated that Japan's decision to return the beef follows two refusals by the Canadian government to allow Japan to send a technical team to oversee the BSE investigation. The second request was said to have come from Japan's Agriculture Minister directly.”
    “"It's believed there was a breakdown on the diplomacy front, which has caused some problems with Japan and South Korea," said Daniels.”
    “The food agency's Boulanger denied that the Canadian government rejected any request from Japan or, for that matter, from any country that may have been impacted.”

With Ottawa so stupid to tell everyone on the planet that we won't even allow our own beef back into Canada...

And on top to offend the US president... (about the US deficit) which stopped negotiations ... in their tracks... on reopening the border I am told by reliable sources in the Alberta gov.

Does anyone really think Chretien cares about what happens Alberta?

Isn't it about time we stopped sending over 9 billion to Ottawa yearly?

Would Chretien be able to boast about a balanced budget, if Alberta money stopped propping up his gov.?

Lee Melville;

I see this on DTN from an article today:

"Japan Imposes BSE Rule On U.S. Beef
    06/16 15:20
    Japan has set a deadline of July 1 for the U.S. to certify that there is no Canadian beef in U.S.-origin exports, reports OsterDowJones."

"Chuck Levitt, veteran livestock analyst with Alaron Trading Corp., said on a Web site posting that Japan's demand for new certification "might force (the U.S.) to segregate all Canadian cattle that are already in the U.S. That could be as many as 100,000 head in feedlots or pastures."

Japanese officials must be REALLY upset about how we have handled this issue...

What have you folks heard?

Comment

tom4cwb, I read similar information about Japan's recent request but, for the life of me, I can't remember where I read it so I can't give you more details. There is an idea out there, and it has been around for a while, that the US doesn't want to open its border to Canadian beef until their Japanese customers are happy. The US doesn't want to lose the Japanese market, which is huge for them. The Japanese actions have confirmed US fears. I believe that South Korea is also taking a stance similar to the Japanese one.

Comment

I found the source of the "Japan/South Korea" BSE actions. A well-respected California publication, Cattle Buyers Weekly, has said Japan will require that all beef imports carry country of origin labeling, and that US beef would have to be processed separately from Canadian beef. CBW reports that this would apply to the many, many Canadian cattle that are now on feed in the US.

The Japan/S. Korea issue is why the Federal government is reportedly trying to get a simultaneous opening of the US, Japanese and South Korean borders. Hopefully they can pull that off.

Comment

Lee;

I would not hold my breath... in fact today's aid announcement is not a good sign on any border action soon...IMHO.

Comment

Lee;

I see this on my DTN AGDAYTA;

"Rumors of July 3 Beef Border Opening
            06/18 09:15

Commodity analyst/consultant Sparks Companies has heard talk in Washington of a "possible" partial lifting of the Canadian beef/cattle ban on July 3.

In its morning news summary, Sparks' Washington bureau emphasized the word "possible."

Sparks said it has heard the talks from "usually reliable sources with ties to the Bush administration," but there is no confirmation.

"If the announcement comes late Thursday, July 3, then there will be several days for the market to digest the news because of the July 4 holiday," a Washington source told Sparks."

This would be very positive, I hope the Japanese issue is being resolved...

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
            • Return to Topic List
            Working...