• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CWB Contract Calls

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CWB Contract Calls

Happy New Year everyone. I'm writing today to discuss what I consider the low level of contract calls for CWB contracted spring wheat. Given the short crop in most of western Canada one would have thought contract calls would have expanded at a much stronger pace. Current call levels are at 50%. Perhaps some of our moderators have an analysis of supply and demand that would clarify the situation for me.

One of the highest costs of a compulsory single desk marketer is the distortion it creates in the marketplace by not letting market signals ration supply, demand and the movement of commodities. Contract calls (even the terminology is wack) are a poor way to pull grain towards market demand.

Braveheart

Has anyone else noticed that even if
    the contracy calls are small the
    elevator will still take all your wheat.
    Last time I took wheat in I was told
    don't worry about the contract we'll fix
    it. Anyone else noticed this?

Comment

Was told I could haul all our wheat in and sell it when there was contract calls. I didn't question if there would be any storage charges as I am not hauling to the company that told me this.

Comment

Braveheart;

The contract call issue is but the tip of the iceburg...

1. Has the CWB actually priced all our 2002 wheat, using risk management... or is the CWB causing farmers to be speculators?

2. What pricing has the CWB done for the 2003 crop, other crops like Canola have provided very strong profitable pricing signals ...

not a word out of the CWB when it has every modern marketing and risk management tool at its disposal...

Where is the transparent market signal from the CWB signaling us to produce high quality wheat and barley on our farms for our customers?

Comment

Tom, are you involved with Gateway Research Organization?

Comment

Allfarmer,

I am an Alberta Pulse Growers Commissioner for Zone 3, a Delegate of the ABC ZONE 5, the Secretary Treasurer of the Alberta Rye and Triticale Association... I do work with these people from time to time and appreciate their hard work through R and D ...

I hope this helps?

Tom Jackson

Comment

I had you figured for Tom McMillian. You farm somewhere by Ken Nelson right? I used to farm at HighRidge but moved north for way cheaper land and good paying winter work.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
              • Return to Topic List
              Working...