Farmland values Canada 14% Sk 18.7%

Farm Management

Tools

Farmland values Canada 14% Sk 18.7%

Apr 18, 2015 | 22:45 1 https://www.fcc-fac.ca/en/about-fcc/corporate-profile/reports/farmland-values-report.html

This should help with the whining. But probably not. Reply With Quote
Apr 18, 2015 | 23:41 2 Down 18.7 maybe. around here at least. Straight from my banker. Reply With Quote
Apr 19, 2015 | 00:06 3 One open quarter near La Crete AB sold by auction last weekend for $310,000

Had to update the FN balance sheet again, thought it was 245,000 what a pain in the ass. Reply With Quote
Apr 19, 2015 | 07:04 4 Talked to a guy from minto yesterday , land still selling for 3000 plus around that area. Reply With Quote
Apr 19, 2015 | 07:05 5 I think grain land has leveled off but pasture is gaining value big time.with livestock prices through the roof look for more gain this year on land set up for that.farms were discounted huge if it had a bunch of non cultivated acres. Reply With Quote
Apr 19, 2015 | 07:15 6 Interesting about pasture.

There are guys that bought fenced farmland and the first thing they did was remove the fence lines.

Call it lost opportunity? Reply With Quote
Apr 19, 2015 | 07:35 7 freewheat, me thinks your banker is a land investor! Reply With Quote
Apr 19, 2015 | 07:43 8 Yes bucket
Livestock facilities on most farms totally gone and never coming back.that is why cattle will have a run of a few very very good years in the future.and the good set ups that are left will be valuable. Reply With Quote
Apr 19, 2015 | 07:46 9 Bucket, there is cattleman in this area that has a good theory. In this area marginal/poor land got fenced for a reason. Many mixed farmers know which properties to fence so they dont have to "fight" the land.
Price of grain goes up, fences come down then the price of grain goes down and the farmer wonders why he ever tore down the fence! Reply With Quote
Apr 19, 2015 | 07:48 10 Tweety, I wish. Land prices here are dropping. That is a fact. We don't all live in places where values perpetually go up. Reply With Quote
Apr 19, 2015 | 08:09 11 A quarter of irrigation near Vauxhall sold for 1.2 mil this past winter. Sugar beets and potato country. Reply With Quote
Apr 19, 2015 | 08:35 12 The last few land sales since the new year have been in the 2.5 X assessment here, down from the 3-3.5 x assessment the past 3-4 years. It will be interesting to see the same report next year this time. Reply With Quote
SASKFARMER3's Avatar Apr 19, 2015 | 08:55 13 In our area prime land is trading higher as one or two guys who sold companies for Millions are purchasing and actually farming. Throw in South African farmers who are paying way over value. The Chineese have backed off or stopped all together. They over paid for poor land to the north of us. THe one who bought prime is complaining all the time that his renter doesn't give him a decent profit from Vancouver. The large land sale that happened last summer by the Ontario teachers pension plan was a decent price and paid for the yard real well.
Real farmers buying in wet areas like free wheat is talking about are paying less than other years. The Melville sales prove it. The same farmer sold 14 in the fall and kept the best 7 for the sale he lost on the last 7.
So if you live in a area with lots of foreign money coming in or a crop area that hasn't seen problems, or guys who liquidated Companies and now are play farming or guys who go to RRSP meetings and are told Land is the new best thing. Your price is probably going up. Real farmers in other areas are paying good compared to a few years ago but it has to fit with their operation.
Their tweet that's a reply not sarcasm like you say to free wheat his banker must be a land investor. Again you show your stupidity. Reply With Quote
blackpowder's Avatar Apr 19, 2015 | 09:05 14 Good thing those general stats so well published. How else would absent landlords and family law lawyers know when to tighten the screws?
Not sarcasm, fact. Reply With Quote
Apr 19, 2015 | 09:31 15 Heard of two separate sales this winter one a single quarter the other multiple quarters. Both in the county of Lacombe within 5 miles east and west of highway 2. 7700 and 7900 an acre.
That's crazy money even for Dutchmen... Reply With Quote
Apr 19, 2015 | 11:42 16 Land values in our area are higher than ever. Below average yields other than 2013 for the last 7 years due to excess moisture. I believed they be at least levelling off by now but doesn't seem to be the case yet. Reply With Quote
Klause's Avatar Apr 19, 2015 | 11:48 17 They are still going up here too.

They are highest before a crash.

Get scared when everyone gets complacent. Reply With Quote
SASKFARMER3's Avatar Apr 19, 2015 | 13:38 18 When neighbours that are selling start telling you it has to go up higher so we're waiting and real estate agents are saying the same a correction is months away! By fall could be interesting I'm still projecting 2 years from now it will be time to buy again! 1st cheap land hit second hit trying for three before I become part of the dirt!
Tweety for you slow guys that's die! Reply With Quote
Apr 19, 2015 | 14:25 19 Wonder why farmland prices are much different from stock markets where timing the market is often seen as impossible.
Better to buy over a period of time and in amounts that are manageable. Reply With Quote
Apr 19, 2015 | 14:30 20 Sask Farmer3..So the truth comes out. It is not about investors and increase in land prices for new young farmers.It is about wanting to buy up land cheap to increase his personnel wealth.Most of the people complaining about the price of land are just POed they did mot buy themselves and now want the government to fix their problem. As long as Sasatchewan's poulation continues to grow land will not go down in price very far. People bring Money and Money brings People. Reply With Quote
Apr 19, 2015 | 14:53 21 Rockpile in my opinion its time we got some good potatoes in the stores. Garden out shines those potatoes by a long shot. Is the govt paying them ass hole to grow shit potatoes Rockpile? Reply With Quote
Apr 19, 2015 | 14:57 22 Klause there is quite a variety of land here. And also in areas only miles apart in how they di over the few years. I would be surprised if its overall up. Reply With Quote
Apr 19, 2015 | 15:51 23 Hopperbin - the Government doesn't pay these guys anything and I don't recall them ever asking for anything. Furthermore, they own, operate and manage their own irrigation systems. I doubt you've ever bought table potatoes from South Alberta because their production goes either to Fritto-Lays or MaCains who both have massive processing plants on the #3 highway and end up either as chips or processed potatoes (ie: frozen fries, etc.) supplying much of the North American market. The table potatoes here come from Idaho, PEI and elsewhere, and I agree they are crap. But don't slag a success story you don't seem to know much about. Reply With Quote
Apr 19, 2015 | 16:09 24 So your saying if I want to buy a good baking potato its goi g to be sold for immediate processessing for potato chips? Ok I can see you could be right. I will go hard and plant my garden with early and late. Fuck the potato growers fucking shit. Reply With Quote
Apr 19, 2015 | 20:46 25 40 years of consistent up, and yet people still say a crash. Well, it could happen. Reply With Quote
Apr 19, 2015 | 20:48 26 40 years of consistent up, and yet people still say a crash. Well, it could happen. Reply With Quote
Apr 19, 2015 | 21:09 27 Tweety. Wherever you are at, you missed a whole lot of crashing and decreasing land values. In the 1970's land was worth 100 a quarter. Then it CRASHED. Down to 20 and 30 and 40-60 a quarter for YEARS. Finally, around 2010, it got back to where it was in the 1970's. It simply does not go up everywhere, forever.

Certain places, sure. But certain areas it will ebb and flow. I certainly wouldn't bank on it going up in value here for 40 years, given what has happened in the past... Reply With Quote
farmaholic's Avatar Apr 19, 2015 | 21:29 28 Tweety, not a crash but a correction or adjustment. I like what land prices have done. At most, I only paid about a third of todays current local values. Bought last stuff about 10 years ago....
Only regret is I didn't buy more. I don't know if I would feel comfortable saying I wish I bought more at today's prices in the short term future. Time will tell. To me it still needs to make some economic sense and its hard to pencil these current prices.
Old money, foreign money, Colony money, investor money might make more sense of it than Farmer Joe money who needs to pay for it through operational profits. Establishment level and farm size, lots of factors determining the price of dirt. But I do kinda feel sorry for the new young guys. Reply With Quote
Apr 19, 2015 | 21:39 29 One dollar ten dollar thousand dollar I'll pay any man here a billion dollars an acre in the currency of my choosing. What is it in intself? Reply With Quote
Apr 19, 2015 | 21:57 30 freewheat, land is an investment and it has, on average gone up over time. Yes there are bumps, but the average is straight line of 7% over time (since '64)

So if you bought land twenty years you have made money. If you bought it yesterday, 20 years from now you wished you bought more because it will most probably go up.

You can't focus on short term losses in a long term investment. It may 'crash', but it'll come back and more. Reply With Quote