• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Representative Samples

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Representative Samples

Thoughts from a newsletter I get (Newco Commodities) that I thought I should pass along.

"If there is anything I learned in the grain industry and would like
    to pass on to our customers it is the importance of having representitive
    samples of your grain. Not only after harvest, but every time a load leaves
    the farm, an average sample should be held until settlement is made. If
    there are disagreements regarding a load it is impossible to resolve
    without a sample. This includes Elevator loads as well as feed, and even
    seed, sales. Hopefully you will never have to refer to your load sample but
    they are handy to have if you do."

Charlie;

One of the most important keys to marketing... is to know what is being sold... and knowing with confidence.

The trust relationship between a farmer and the consumer of our products can be cemented in good will and appreciation, if the farmer knows what exactly is being delivered... and the consumer can trust with assurance the delivery.

This is a even bigger key, as we use custom truckers, a bigger key for both the farmer to know what has been loaded, and the reciever to know what exactly is being unloaded.

If God forbid there is an accident, an average sample and weight of product is needed if part or all of the load is destroyed in the accident!

Therefore it is not only common sense, but foolishness not to have an average load sample, as 1 superbee of grain can now be worth $20,000.00!

Comment

I agree you have to keep representative samples, but what do they mean? If a dispute arises the sample of the load you have means absolutely nothing. The buyer says that your sample does not represent the load & you’re beat.

A couple of entrepreneur neighbors have developed a system to secure a sample of the unload that is collected by the buyer. Basically the kit consists of a tamper proof sealable bag (approved by CGC) & paper work that is signed by grain buyer & trucker. The grain buyer fills & seals this tamper proof bag from the sample he obtains at unload & both trucker & buyer sign paper work (1 copy goes with bag, 1 with truck driver & 1 stays with grain buyer). The trucker mails the bag back to the producer via expresspost. If the producer doesn’t agree with grade or dockage the buyer has assigned he simply takes the bag to the CGC for grade & dockage determination. CGC considers this bag a lock box.

Email samplenseal@hotmail.com

Last year I was able to recover over $3,000.00 from a pulse plant that tried to take excess dockage. Pulse plant dockage was 10% higher than CGC.

Comment

I forgot to mention, the system is called Samplenseal.

samplenseal@hotmail.com

Comment

Part of our assuance/tracability is to try and improve samples and what is delivered.
          Samples must be taken from every load at havest as bin is filled this is then suppossedly a more representative sample than trying to spear a full bin.
          This I find has helped with accuracy but still problems can arise in the bin.

We too are required to keep sample from each load but this has not helped just as Wendino states.

It is the sample the buyer takes from the truck which he uses and this is the only one he will consider

We must trust him but he will not even consider our sample saved from the truck.
          I suppose he has a point as he is the customer but I can choose not to sell to him in future if I loose my trust in him.
          Arbitration only possible on his sample or an independant sample taken from truck before it leave his premices. Not an option in most cases.

Lots of trust in the grain trade over here.

I am not saying it is all one sided but a slightly lower offer price to a trusted buyer is usually the best deal in the end.

The sample we have to take from the truck will never pay for the plastic bag we put it in.

Not heard of a scheme like Wendinos here

Do buyers have to agree first?

Here I am sure they would still not trust sample unless someone followed the truck to their gate.

Comment

Hey Wendino just reread your post. Got it beter this time.
            Bet that would work. You get all get the same sample dont you.
            How much does it cost?

Comment

>>You get all get the same sample dont you.<<

Yep, basically what happens is the buyer gives you a portion of the sample he uses to determine grade & dockage. This portion is placed in the bag & sealed. The bag is tamper proof, that is it can’t be opened & resealed. The only way to get it open is to tear it or cut it open. If it is torn & taped shut CGC won’t assign a grade to it.

Buyers don’t like the system, but they will fill them. IF I am contracting to deliver at a later date I add a clause to the contract stating that sample n seal bags will be used to determine grade & dockage should a dispute arise. If buyer doesn’t agree to that term, well I don’t need to do business with him.

I’ve found, when dealing with local elevators, that I only have to use the bag one time. If the buyers know that you have bags & will use them they grade fairly. At one of the terminals I deal with, I walked up to the grading station with the documentation book & a bag & watched the guy while he was doing the dockage test & grading process on a load of canola. When he was done he asked if I wanted the bag filled. I said “only if I need to”. He said “2% dockage”. I said “I don’t need it filled”.

Cost is $8.00/bag. Kit consists of 25 bags & documentation book & neat little carry case cost $200.00.

Comment

Wedino;

Really what marketing in a trust relationship comes down to... is fair, fair.

I just finished hauling 5 superbees to a marketer this week, and Knowing what I was delivering/selling was very key in building a good relationship.

I took good samples, therefore I knew what was on my truck. PERIOD. NO surprises.

This is what purchasers need to know, and they appreciate honesty and fairly reflect an honest relationship.

THis is integrety, and I have never needed the CGC on local sales, because when a local rips off farmers... they pay a huge price.

For marketing into another province, the bag backup is not a bad idea.

However, I have had the CGC change their grading in the middle of the fall.

Therefore an honest relationship, backed up by good samples, will still give the best results!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                • Return to Topic List
                Working...
                X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                You agree to our and by clicking I agree.