• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Things Are Picking Up

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Things Are Picking Up

Well, the cattle biz has been going pretty well at this end but the sheep biz seems to be moving forward at a quick pace. It took some time but I finally found a buyer from that Southern Ontario part of Canada that will take everything we can grow.

Best part is we found him by accident. Buyer showed up at the farm at 0630 after driving all night and we scaled him, loaded him and scaled the critters - he left me with a nice bit of money in hand. Wife managed to get her hands on it in about ten minutes after he was gone.

Not a lot when compared to the cows - but the wife is getting too big for her britches and we are probably going to do this four times this year and she wants to add another lambing in for next year. That means we will top the 400 lambs per year mark - and I am glad it is her that does most of the work!

We start lambing again in about 5 weeks and this buyer has already told me he will take every one of them a 10% premium over the sale barn average price.

So - no trucking, no commission and no problems - just give him a coffee, load him, take the money and kick him of the property. That plus the sale barns and feed lots - makes it nice to have an extra option in the mix.

Now, if I could only get my wife and her expansion plans under control! Wish me luck.

Good luck!

It's nice to be in the drivers seat for a change, isn't it. I only have three lambs left to sell, but they should indicate the direction the market is heading. Of course, one of those is a quite good ewe lamb, so maybe she will stay... Oh, there's that expansion mentality kicking in.. Lol

Comment

You ladies and expansion plans!!!!

Bottom line is prices are rising at the moment in the sheep world with some weights hitting 3 bucks plus a pound on the hoof at Embrum last Monday

Much more of this and I might become a local sheep baron as well

Cheers

Comment

Wow! That's impressive!

Comment

Average prices in Embrum this week:

Under 50 lbs. - 245.50
          50 - 64 lbs. - 244.00
          65 - 79 lbs. - 282.60
          80 - 94 lbs. - 268.93
          95 - 109 lbs. - 243.12

Some of the top prices were above 3 bucks a pound again this week on low volumes.

Comment

Wow again!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
            • Return to Topic List
            Working...
            X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
            You agree to our and by clicking I agree.