• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WA free-service challenge to AWB

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WA free-service challenge to AWB

Wouldn't this be nice if it could happen here. Our grain industry doesn't give us any such support in fighting off the monopsony wheat board!

22/11/2002

In what could be seen as a direct challenge to AWB Limited’s monopoly on Australian wheat exports, Western Australia’s biggest grain storage and handling company will reportedly deliver $40 million of free services to wheat growers.
    The services, for which AWB normally charges, will be provided by WA Co-operative Bulk Handling to growers in the country’s biggest wheat-producing State.
    According to the Australian Financial Review, Co-operative Bulk Handling has offered grain accumulation, road and rail freight negotiations and operations, ship chartering, and make payments to growers amongst its services.
    AWB, which announced a $107 million profit yesterday, made a significant proportion of its earnings from providing those and other services to its ostensibly independent subsidiary, AWB International Ltd
    AWB International runs the statutory monopoly over Australia’s $4 billion export industry.

http://www.thefarmshed.com.au/grain/news.jhtml?NewsKey=53295&new=n&_requestid=11801

That's for sure, bobn. And when the farmers get export licenses via the courts, and bypass the Board, the farmers will be sure to recall which corporations sat silent, on their hands.

parsley

Comment

Exactly! A few years I had sold most of my non-board grain to a local line company, and didn't have any board grain that year. When they had their customer appreciation day and had this big permit book prize draw, I didn't feel very appreciated.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
      • Return to Topic List
      Working...