• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

we better find better uses for our wheat then peddling them on the world market

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

we better find better uses for our wheat then peddling them on the world market

Peru, Bolivia and Chile bought 0.16 million tons of Ukrainian grain
    For the first time Ukrainian companies signed contracts for delivery of 160,000 MT of grain to Peru, Bolivia and Chile, as Ukrayinsky Novyny informs. Companies from Peru, Bolivia and Chile that bought grain intend to make thorough check of grain quality and in case quality of grain is satisfactory export of grain to countries of Southern America in 2003 may go up significantly. Grain traders from Southern America are ready to visit Ukraine in January-February of 2003 for negotiations concerning selling of grain. According to L.Kozachenko, Vice-Prime Minister, Ukraine can become a big world grain trader despite of severe competition from American, Canadian and Argentine companies.
    Agriculture news
    AgriUkraine 08.11.2002

First thing to do is dissolve cwb's monopoly and then work smarter by adding more value inside Canada.

Free wheat in the west.

One of the principles of business is that production of anything tends to move to the area of the lowest per unit cost of production provided production from new areas can meet quality and supply reliability criteria of consumers and provided GBFs (subsidies or tariff barriers) don't muck up the picture.

For example, Brazil can produce soybeans at a profitable price that's considerably lower price per bushel than the US. If it weren't for US subsidies, there'd be considerably few beans produced there. At one time Hawaii produced huge amounts of sugar cane. Production costs rose and rose and rose and production moved elsewhere.

The Ukraine has very low costs of production. It's production potential is considered to be tremendous if it gets all its ducks in a row. Remember the Ukraine was once considered "the breadbasket of Europe".

Do we figure out something else to do with our wheat or do we figure out something else to do with our land?

Comment

melvill,

Where I farm a cereal in the rotation is a must. Therefore it's not realistic to do something different with the land. We therefore need viable alternatives to what we have now. In the past 60 years we could survive doing what Ukraine is doing now, that is only growing low cost wheat for export.
      It's just too bad we have to catch up to the rest of North America's 60 year head start. Major processing of wheat and Durum here on the prairies would go a long ways in solving this problem. Our industry is still intact. Let's not put off this opportunity any longer.
      If we wait until the industry is more drastically weakened, no processors will ever locate here. The monopoly must go now! Not in 5 or 10 years after countless studies and elections.

Comment

Melvill,

Both.

Parsley

Comment

bobn, I can't quite figure out whether you're disagreeing or agreeing with me. YOu say it's not realistic to do something different with the land. And yet look at the tremendous diversity of crops on the Prairies compared to 30 years go. That diversity came as a response to low wheat prices, among other things. Right now we may need wheat in rotation to control diseases and pests but five years from now will we still need it? (Hawaiian farmers didn't think they could grow anything but sugar cane, either) And five years from now, if the Former Soviet Union (FSU)countries get all their ducks in a row, will we be able to compete? Charlie talks about the FSU as a greater threat to our wheat markets than EU or US subsidies. Maybe, we need to think "radical" thoughts like 'what can we grow to replace half our wheat acreage?'

Comment

Parsley, you're not agreeing with me, even if just a little, are you? <grin>

Comment

melville, I am pleased to say that I am agreeing with you

Parsley

Comment

melville,

I'm both. I agree that the prairies have much more room for diversification in crops. It's just that depending on soil and climate, some crops are
                much better suited than others. For example I can grow 50-60 bushels of durum or cps wheat following a pulse such as peas. I've tried canola, linola and barley and canary seed after peas but had extremely poor results as compared to durum or cps wheat. It just makes sense to grow something that does as well as wheat or durum on 1/3 or 1/4 of my seeded acres.

Comment

You can thank the Sask. government
                  for sending seed, bull semen, ag
                  experts, and a bunch of cash to the
                  Ukraine. Apparently if your a former
                  commie you qualify for farm aid, but
                  not if you live in Sask. Go figure!

Comment

bmj182,

At least we got rid of the experts that planned the project. For a little while anyhow.

Parsley

Comment

bobn,
                      Keep at it. Continue to experiment. Less than 10 years ago my acres were 60% board wheat. This year there was none(bad timing probably, looking at the PROs). The only wheat I grew went in the silage pit. The only way I could see out was to get that dog out of the rotation. We need alot more than a few pasta plants to get rid of the millions of tonnes of export wheat in western Canada. We need millions of animals (and the enviromental challenges that represents), we need mills and pasta plants, we need ethanol plants and multiuse projects. The most important thing we need is for farmers to get out there and do it. I now grow a wide variety of special crops, contract crops and animal feed. Im twice as busy as before. Research your markets and find your own sales. Am I taking more risk? Yup. Am I making more money? Most years.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                      • Return to Topic List
                      Working...
                      X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                      You agree to our and by clicking I agree.