• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Quality of Wheat are Canadian Mills Getting Offered?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What Quality of Wheat are Canadian Mills Getting Offered?

Eatmorewheat

Hopefully I am not asking to intimate a questions but Tom4cwb has asked a bunch of questions I don't have answers to.

Bottom of:

http://www.agri-ville.com/cgi-bin/forums/viewThread.cgi?1036199009

Any comments on the following would be appreciated.

1) What quality of wheat is the CWB currently offering domestic flour mills? Are there restictions on obtaining higher grades/protein (1/2CWRS) or are supplies being allocated on the basis of price (millers can have anything they want - they just have to pay for it)?

2) What minimum quality characturistics to you need to meet the needs of your flour customers? Does 3CWRS meet these needs?

3) Does the CWB source wheat for you or do you have a working arrangement with a grain company for western wheat?

4) In your experience, does the CWB offering price generally reflect the price of US wheat of similar quality landed your mill (or however you get prices quoted)?

Hopefully none of these questions are too intimate/jeopardize your relationships with working partners. It is just hard to get direct thoughts from millers outside communications with the Canadian National Millers Association. They are quiet so I assume happy.

- we can only buy # 2's or lower. I guess we are not as worthy as Japan.

- minmium quality is dependent on customer spec. ie; some wheat is milled into flour for non-human consumption

- the cwb invoices they do not market. Mills usually deal with an agent of the cwb.

- cwb prices to domestic mills are US equivalent at Thunder Bay. Posted daily in globe & mail.

In an open market we could source western CDN wheat cheaper than we are now. However, individual wheat farmers will see better reurns due to ability to execute and perform better than an oprressive cwb. The cwb monopoly only applies inside Canada.

Free wheat in the west

Comment

eatmorewheat, you said some wheat is milled into flour for non-human consumption? What would that be for - processing into pet food - what?

Lee

Comment

non-human flour means any use other than for human food.

ie: petfood, animal feed, industrial use

Free wheat in the west

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
        • Return to Topic List
        Working...