• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Corn Futures

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Corn Futures

Hello Charlie, what is happening with US corn futures. All grains are stabel or go up, but corn goes into the tank. Why and for how long?

Joerg Klempnauer

I have to admit the same frustration/question about corn. The newsletters I read/people whose information I follow highlight the fact that market expections are that yields are better than expected and production higher. Sparks/other market consultants are upping Sept. 1/03 US corn carryover to close to 1 bln bu vs USDA forecasts of 730 mln bu.

Combine this with normal heavier US farmer selling off the combine to pay bills, Eastern Europe/Former Soviet Union aggressively market feed wheat plus slack world feed grain demand and prices have headed south.

As a prudent manager of feed cost risk for a livestock producer, I would use this opportunity to buy some CBT corn calls for this winter. Similarly, anyone who has sold feed barley and wants to re-enter the market could consider the stategy of owning some corn calls - timing is a little less critical given I think the most potential for fireworks will come later this winter (weather season for S. American soybeans/US winter wheat condition) and next spring (weather at planting time.

Comment

Never got any feedback on these strategies. What are others thoughts?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
      • Return to Topic List
      Working...