• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yields/grades

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yields/grades

Just a request to get an update on harvest progress, yield, grade and disease issues on early harvested grain. Include your general area.

Talked to my brother - Calgary. Barley mid 50 s. Might have made malt (protein??) but used round up to get rid of some quack. All in bin. Wheat - 40 ish. Likely 1/2CWRS. Protein unknown but likely high. 50 % done.
    Canola yield unknown (still not swathed) but 30 possible. With frost couple of weeks ago, likely a 2CW account green seed.

Any reports of fursarium out of southern Alberta?

Charlie;

IF the farmer used preharvest, then wheat had a reasonable chance of making 1/2 milling grades, all that is left out in the field now is 2/3, but 70% of the wheat is off the field now...

Canola/special crops took the biggest hit in the drought area... #2yellow peas were common on early harvest in August...

Just how much Barley, Canola, Special crops are actually being harvested for grain is probably the biggest wild card in figuring out production...

I see that straw/hay/greenfeed/silage has really taken care of the forage shortage... our Mushroom Factory now has it's supply bought in at almost twice the normal price... so it will be a hard winter for value added industries econmically... to compete with those who did not have increased expences internationally will be tuff...

Fusarium is now a given... with all the forage that has come from infected areas... we will have it now in spades...

To say this is a long term disaster... is understating the impact... but our challenge is now to use best management practices to minimise the impact... and this costs money... of which many are very short of.

The AB/SK. AUG. 1 frost was a blessing for the livestock industry, and has additionally filled the gap on feed/straw needs to put us over the top...

Canola yields in drought areas have been very disapointing so far... many 2.5/8bu yeilds on the "good" fields, blasted pods/seeds from the extreme July heat.

Another 2 weeks without frost might yield a few more bu/ac in the drought area, but in more normal yield areas harvest will start with a few sunny days to finish curing the Canola out.

Comment

Larry,

I have heard harvest reports from central SK. that yeild is 17bu/ac of the worst looking junk possible because of frost. Canola yeilds are being estimated at .3bu/ac, yes .3 ... and the farmers are looking for straw markets for the frosted canola. These folks are worse off than the drought area now...

I see grading is lightned up significantly, DHV is still ok if not too much rain fell in areas in AB... SHrunken shriveled is being ignored if bushel weight is there... A VERY high protien crop... 13.5 worth as much as 17PX as blending is required to make 14.5 for milling blends...

I am sure this will be a nightmare for flour yields as kernel consistancy is totally out the window, as everything will be blended many times...

Falling numbers will likely end up being the most important factor in the grade... if the farmer is willing to do a little salesmanship work...

Good graph, now we must sub as much feed wheat for corn as possible...

Elevators are really pushing corn and corn products, as grain farmers are reluctant sellers of feed wheat...

WHAT A MESS!!!!!

Comment

Charlie will attest to the ridicule I took from the trade with regards to the August 01 frost. I was even accused on being on "crack"....lol

If I had #1 or #2 CWRS, I would let the millers beg for it. There is nothing in the Wheat Board Act that says millers can't offer farmers a premium for their wheat.

I have an email that you would like Tom, and I'll post it when my phone dies down. It should soon, it is raining here.

Comment

Thanks for posting Larry. Needless to say, one scary graph.

My sources indicate the CWB will be tendering for all 3CWRS wheat from grain companies with a requirement being falling number commitment. My suspicion is this may extend to 2CWRS as well.

As Lee indicated, the CGC will do falling number tests for samples if requested (see EPO thread). Several grain companies also have labs - request this information when you show them samples. If they refuse, back out the door and don't come back. There are also private labs. Know quality and market as such if you are the high end. The grain companies are going to have to figure out how to get high falling number 2/3 CWRS up the drive way.

Not likely the right thread but I am curious as to how grade discounts will go for canola. My guess right now is lots of green seed. I am going to find it interesting as to how the market sorts discounts out. Stay tuned. Make sure you don't get hammered with winder discounts than necessary on lower grades.

Comment

Just as another note, look for grain companies to be a lot tougher on grading wheat. Putting more emphasis on something like falling number puts a lot more risk in blending at the elevator. They will be more likely to grade based on what it is versus what they think they can make it.

The side note as per Tom4cwb is that there will be more feed quality wheat around.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
            • Return to Topic List
            Working...
            X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
            You agree to our and by clicking I agree.