• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CanAmera bought by Bunge

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CanAmera bought by Bunge

Chaffmeister,

What effect will this have on logistics of supplying the Canola oil and meal markets?

Haven't given this much thought - CanAmera owned by Bunge instead of Central Soya. Makes Bunge the largest oilseed crusher in the world. Not sure what you are thinking but I don't see any substantial impact on logistics of oil/meal markets.

Are you thinking of anything in particular?

Comment

Are you thinking about supplying the crushing plants with seed? CanAmera being owned by pools before had the pools to help source and arrange logistics. Bunge won't have that without some type of arrangement. Is this what you're thinking? If so, I would say watch for Bunge to get cozy with one or more non-Cargill, non-AU elevator firm.

Comment

Chaffmeister,

I am thinking of operational policies.

In the years SWP Agricore owned most of CanAmera, CanAmera was much easier to sell to than ADM...

I didn't think they were slack, but on basis contracts and delivery policies they typically were easy to get along with.

Typically Cargill and Agpro have been very simular, and I was just wondering what type of historical attitude Bunge had towards farmers and trade... law suits, reasonable to get along with???

When a change in ownership happens twice in one year, a person gets nervious that things just may change...

How stable are they, what kind of trading $amounts per year are they doing in business?

Comment

A good portion of the drought area in Alberta has never experienced a drought like this. We are in the sure crop area(until this year!).
          Most farmers out here are older(like everywhere else I'm sure) and we have few young farmers. Not so easy to start over somewhere else. Our families and friends are here. I suspect most would rather quit farming than leave. It sounds pretty good where you are and maybe some people should look into it, if they love their cows so much.

Comment

I doubt if any farmers could afford to move anywhere, let alone to Northwestern Ontario

Comment

Also keep this in mind, up until this year, I never, never ever expected to not be able to produce enough feed for my cows. Even on the driest year, I could have produced enough feed off all my land to feed 100 cows, thats over 3000 acres. You are telling me that if you only had 3 tenths of rain in a year and maybe 3 inchs of snow through the winter, coming off a fall with absolutly no soil moisture, you would be able to survive??? You try it for a year and tell me how things are for you.

Comment

My Dad once spend some wasted time talking to a farmer when he was in Ontario. The guy just would not believe that 80 bushel barley crops are pretty common in Central Alberta, no matter what Dad said. Accused him of lying.
                It has not ever been this dry here, usually we get almost too much moisture.
                At least we have no rats or Liberals.

Comment

If it's so great in Ontario, why is half of your young population out here working in the oil patch? Couldn't afford to farm I guess!

Comment

I spent two weeks in southern Ontario this month. The inlaws asked those same questions about why not just move if things were so crappy. The debates and discussions went on and on and to be perfectly honest, I didn't feel like they ever understood why people live out here. I do understand why they live there. great climate was one big point. But please excuse me if I offend anyone, but I also felt like I was speaking to some of my American friends at the time. We all should know what that means. Now I can't say everyone is like that, but I was very frustrated at what I observed, and was happy as hell to be back home. I will return and hopefully we will all become a little more familiar with each others homes. That is what I feel this country needs a little more of, understanding. But we all have to truely want to understand, and we should all know what thats means too. have a good day all ...

Comment

You describe Ontario much the same way I would have described my area up to two years ago.

Comment

It is one strange situation out here. Practically every day it clouds up but it just won't rain. Then the wind picks up and away go the clouds and it gets very hot. It was basically the same last year just not as bad. Maybe we're in a weather pattern like the thirties only a little worse. It's been slowly getting drier out here over the last ten years. Every year the drought area crept a little closer and our soil reserves got a little less. Spring this year was wet and cold and it truly looked like it was turning around. I don't think anyone saw this coming.
                        It is with a growing disgust that we see our federal government continuing to ignore the disaster out here, and that is the only way to discribe this situation. Not the good people of Ontario but the federal Liberal government. Our provincial governments have stepped up to the plate and our municipalities are doing all they can, while the Liberals in Ottawa continue to contemplate their navels.
                        Alberta sends $7 billion dollars a year to the feds in transfer payments and the majority of our taxes(income tax, gasoline tax, tobbacco and booze, Gst) goes to Ottawa. What do they actually do for us? I would suggest we'd be better off keeping our money at home, in the west, if they won't even try to help us out when we are in trouble! They did the same thing in the thirties. Which spawned two new political movements that were basically separatist until they got corrupted.
                        So perhaps some people will wake up and realize it is time to go, and that I believe is a good thing?

Comment

cowman, do you really think that $55.00 per Alberta farm is 'all that they can do'. If so, as far as I can see they might as well keep it as it is like a drop in a lake for most of us in the hard hit areas, expecially for those of us with small land base:cattle ratio. I would think that administering the applications, mailing, spin doctoring and hiring the pyscologist to councel the stressed would already take up a large chunk of this money.

Comment

You don't live in isolation. If Calves in alberta are bringing 50-60 dollars for 300 pounders your calves will not bring the high prices that you are use to. Unless your marketing to the end consumer your prices will be effected the same as ours.

Comment

Pandianna: I don't know if the $55/farm you are referring to is the federal package or the Alberta package. Consider the per acreage payout of $4 on native grass(Alberta). Now if I live out in the east country I might own vast tracts of land or lease it. So if I have a pasture of say 10,000 acres and I have virtually no cattle then I still get a check for $40,000. I might not even own this land but have a government lease. Not a bad deal? And guess who lives out there? Our Agriculture minister! So she's taking care of the home team for sure. The grain deal is about the same.$7 for land whether it usually grows 100 bu. or 20 bu. Or land that is worth $2000/acre or $100/acre.
                              I would have rather seen a program to get these cows dead. Say a top up for every cow killed. We aren't going to spend our way out of this situation...we need to kill mega number of cows! And hopefully this will free up enough feed to feed the rest and let others out with at least the shirt on their back. I guess we all know we were maxxed out on cows long before this drought came along.
                              When they killed the Crow they basically lured a lot of people into cows. This was not a good thing. All that changed was we had to export beef instead of barley. When the big drought came along both crashed but at least you don't have to feed an empty grain bin!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...