• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Earth Day 2011

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Earth Day 2011

Earth Day is fast approaching us (Friday April 22) and I was curious to find out what other farmers in Canada and the West are doing to celebrate and if you celebrate or recognize this event at all.

I have been a huge fan of Earth Day since grade school, where we were all required to go outside for the afternoon and plant trees, help clean up garbage and learn how to tend gardens. It was so much fun and a great excuses to get dirty outside on school time. Now however I am not forced to by my teachers to go out and help the planet, and honestly I have missed it.

So I thought I would share of the ways I try and help the planet on a daily basis and maybe you can try them too! And what better way to get a kick start, then trying them out on Earth Day!!

ps: I'm hoping for great sunny weather tomorrow here, as I plan to plant a few trees and clean up some garbage around my town!

Mackenna's Favourite ways to Help the Planet!

1) Food Choices

- I try to buy local products that come from farmers in my area. The further my yummy summer corn has to travel the better it is for everyone!

2) Transportation

- I need a car. I live in the country and need to get to the city for school and work. So it is very unrealistic for me to tell you to not drive your car. But I do plan my trips carefully and try to go in to the city once to go to school, get my shopping done, go to the gym and what not. I also try and carpool with my family so we can have less of our cars on the road. It's a pretty easy way to help the environment and save on rising fuel prices.

3) Washing my Clothes

- I live on a farm so our barn clothes need to get washed a lot. Which uses valuable water and energy to run the washers and dryers. When possible I always try and hang my clothes to dry outside in the summer and in the basement in the winter. Not only do my clothes last longer, they have an amazing fresh summer scent that no dryer additive can create!

I look forward to your tips and thoughts on Earth Day from the people who take care and work off our Earth

Mackenna

Well it looks like all (us) farmers are too busy with Earth Day and post earth day to talk about it lol.

I look forward to the day when more people don't settle for mediocrity. Car pooling, reusable bags and stuff and turning out lights when you leave etc etc etc are all great but I hardly ever hear of any major contribution or change. Probably because those people get silenced in one way or another (speaking from personal experiences). So much more can be done but business, pride, money and stubbornness (I might be missing a few) keep us from superiority.

I've lost count of the number of wheat fields that I've scouted and recommended to the farmer that it wasn't economical for them to spray, but they did anyways because the fields were along the roads and didn't want the neighbours to talk about their "dirty" fields at the coffee shop. And that's just the tip of the iceberg.

I hope (dream) of people to do much much more than just simply turning off a light when they leave a room.

Comment

have a look at the two page essay in the april national geographic about how 10,000 years ago man masde the mistake of going to annual crops for food production. wasted a whole bunch of land and energy and potential production with that one.

Comment

Well, well, well, Little Miss Sunshine. Ain't you gist what Obama & Al Gore wants yous to be doin/thinkin...

This New Age we's livin is very, VERY dangerous to young minds. Don't ever, EVER git side tracked away from the Constitution, Bill of Rights & State of Independence in favour of The Global Warming Scam or for ANYTHING else. Global Warming is A big LIE to spread the WEALTH, infact we's in A Great Global Cooling, & A Mini Ice Age is potentially upon us. LIVE yer life the way you want to, gist have common sense wit Nature & DO NOT litter. Remember those who give up freedon, fer security, deserve neither.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXkBJh9RJy8- Only 2:30 mins - This is what a mean by very, VERY dangerous to young minds. PLEASE watch & YOUS teach yer kids life lessons, do not, I repeat, DO NOT let the system teach them or yous will wake up one day and the Land our Forefathers conquered will look vastly different......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--Wf_vV1CF4&feature=PlayList&p=0720CF6772500688&play next=1&playnext_from=PL&index=13 - Who Killed The Water Car

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5YsK3bwzPM&feature=related - GEET Fuel Processor, Paul Pantone - REAL AMERICAN HERO!!!

Google these 3 People:

(Wolfhart Willimczik)
        (stanley meyer)
        (paul pantone)

http://merlib.org/node/5485 - Wolfhart Willimczik

http://www.waterpoweredcar.com/stan.html - Stanley Meyer

Stans water car did NOT have a dangerous hydrogen holding tank or "gas tank". You simply filled it with water and the "water splitter" produced hydrogen on demand. Stan's technology could get ANY gas powered engine to run exclusively on pure hydrogen. In 1998 Stan signed a multi-million dollar contract with the Department of Defense. He died of FOOD POISONING the next day. Wonder why???

Where yous at Mckenna anyways??? Nice name.......

Comment

Hey!
          Thanks for the great responses! All great information to think about, those youtube videos were quite interesting. I love learning more about the enviroment from all points of view

I'm from ontario btw

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
          • Return to Topic List
          Working...