• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Crop Barley

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Crop Barley

Charlie

What are your thoughts on new crop barley. New crop is a discount to old. Do you think October will come into carry? Presently new crop barley delivered Cagary region can be booked at$3.13 delivered, ($5.00/MT under the Oct Futures.

Wheat and canola futures are discounted as well. I am curious to how you think this should be handled.

Rain,

I think your name says it all!!!!!

Moisture is the number one issue, if you have subsoil moisture, looks like a profitable year ahead!!!

But, how much subsoil moisture is their in western Canada? Not much for a very many people.

Hedging is supposed to manage risk, but locking in now might create more than it benefits!!!

I would want to see 1.5 feet of snow before I get excited about doing any marketing next year, what about you?

Comment

I agree, any hedging this year should probably done with puts, wheat and barley in particular. Canola we may not even take basis for the first time in a long while. But we must remember, to in some way shape and form be willing a ready to protect oursevles.

Back to my original question do you think new crop will go to carry for wheat, barley and canola?

Comment

Rain,

My best guess is that in the spring, if things still look dry, the market could then pay this type of a premium.

I would suggest that a premium is already in place as this has been a drought year and short supply to start with. Barley at $150/t Oct, after we add back the Crow that we used to receive, has to be in the top 70% of the market in the long term. This means that the corn in the US will really start substituting in here as barley maintains such a high premium for an extended period.

If feeders cannot assure a feed supply, and must invest infrastructure to feed cattle and hogs anyway, then barley at some point in the future must return back to a more traditional spread with corn.

Will this happen by next fall?

Maybe to some extent, but I am sure everyone is hoping for RAIN!!! This would bring back down the corn barley spread faster than anything else!!!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
        • Return to Topic List
        Working...