• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Friday Crop Report on a Thursday!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Friday Crop Report on a Thursday!

Click image for larger version

Name:	OW8IFpItTnePD1VM+fr6xw.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	777998

Well, it looks like 2018 best farmer will go to anyone who can catch one of these rains that go by. It has nothing to do with how well you farm and 90% of mother nature. The Gas tank of water in the ground is almost out and the only ones who will grow something are the ones who catch a shower. Welcome to farming in Sask. The weather pattern is back to Normal.

Funny Environment Canada maybe should start giving out numbers for Lotto Max as they are more accurate on that probably than weather forecasting. I'll stick with Drew so far has been on most days.

A tenth is a dust settler and this year that's all you can call it. So far were at the 1/2 inch mark for the month of may.

Name:	SSEPouVrRV2A9RCXNzkICQ.jpg
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	777999

The above area is our original pasture that has never been breaking its 37 acres for wildlife and quad and sled ground in a coulee. This corner was an experiment where I burnt last fall the prairie wool and this is what started to grow this year. Only in the area, I burnt. Remember in Western Canada before man the prairies would burn from wildfires and cleanse the ground. Just saying the climate change believers are so full of shit it's not funny. nothing has changed in my 55 plus years or my fathers 90 years on this earth. Keep believing and pissing away money. It's a Scam.

Ok, the Crop Report as we look to the Sky for our Lucky Rain Clouds.

We got to 76% done by last night. The usual smaller guys are done. The early starters should finish by Saturday and early next week most in our area will put plant 18 behind them and get ready for spraying season. The late guys that seem to never get going are just starting to get the drills ready.

Name:	yCy0AaogSuCx7yTAf8BOMw.jpg
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	778000

Peas are struggling to work their way out but you can now see rows.

Barley is up and in nice rows so must have been sown in moisture. Lite showers haven't let the two zones touch yet.

HRS is up on our first seeded fields but not your 3 to 5 days more like 7.

Canola most seed after the 16th so nothing up yet.

Spraying is a challenge with the huge winds and yesterday when it calmed down at one point I counted 5 sprayers I could see beside me.

Name:	Ogo2K24bRJyVjCHJG8o7JQ.jpg
Size:	103.8 KB
ID:	778001

So most are hoping for rain. Not sure if guys are praying or what, but lots down on their Knees in fields maybe that's what they're doing out there. Its dry and guys are wondering if some will germinate at all. Seed on moisture will be up. Rain shower will make more germinate and finally if a good rain hits lots of late seed will germinate.

Worry will be selling the swather for the straight cut Canola guys. Swather sales will be up dramatically as fields will be in three to four stages. Pick too early and you have few nice seeds but lots of light little shit. Choose to late and big seeds gone late could freeze. Ah, farming it's so easy everyone should do it.

Pastures need a good soaking, a really good soaking, cowboys are worried. Pasture is going for a premium.

Ok, one last thing is careful out their shit happens fast and accidents happens faster. This week we had a fire start on the new RT and let's just say shit happens fast. My nephew noticed the area behind the cab had a fire on the canola straw that builds up from seeding and wind. He looked around and found the bins for seed measurements on the air drill and waded into a slough and started putting it out. The call was made to me to get our foam fire soaker and head to him. When I got there after almost wrecking my truck the tracks had just started burning. Three minutes later and the whole track unit would be history. We saved it then had to put out the field. Wow is all I can say shit happens fast.

Got it to the Dealership and thanks to the boys it was rewired and sensors all changed and hoses that burnt. It was back in the field last night. Now the one-ton needs a good cleaning inside the cab and out and no GMCs cant make it across a slough at 80 mph no matter how hard you try. Shit happens.

Ah, the last tidbit is our Idiot in Ottawa and his stance on travel and doing nothing for Canadians. Just like Ralph talk talk and do nothing. Well, I think people are waking up Ontario election will be the test. But deep down I think the old Find an Idiot to run take votes away from the others and boom the liberals get back in. Or it's a preplanned NDP Liberal government. Either way, Ontario is F$%Ked.

Name:	IMG_6723.JPG
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	778002

Oh, Racheal, you screwed up in your early days saying oil was bad then got elected and realized you need oil to pay the bills so you can do Crazy feel-good programs to keep you getting elected. RAther a simple plan anyone with half a brain can realize. Oil/Money/Employment/happy workeres= Governments keep getting elected. Your fighting a fellow NDP you're done.

Oh, Ralphy boy please step down before you humiliate your self any more. Take the high road claim you're not in good enough health to continue or Family time is more important.

So as most in our area head into the last days of seeding be safe out their and remember the ones at home are way more important than any crop.Hey look at wheat the world is a wash but wow get a little dry in Russia Europe and USA and Canada and WTF price starts to go up. Yea the market knows shit its a game of Low price for producer and every one else gets fat.

Have a great week and i hope all get the Lotto max rain.

Also please give your area whats left to seed how things looks and how bad you need rain. If the top 6 inches had a rain gauge it would be at 1/4 left the layers need to meet.

Comment

Well not a big one but a bit 1/4. So. Ow total for May is 7/10

Comment

Originally posted by SASKFARMER3 View Post
        Well, it looks like 2018 best farmer will go to anyone who can catch one of these rains that go by. It has nothing to do with how well you farm and 90% of mother nature.
        I disagree with this latest campaign to dumb down or understate the role of management in agriculture. It's an insult to those who actively manage their operations 365 days a year for better results. Part of our role as land managers is to manage the water cycle on our land. Draining land and sloughs and only having something growing for 90 days a year are detrimental to water cycling. With our type of land management (pasture/litter/ground-cover/increasing organic matter) we can double the effective rainfall we get because none of the water is wasted.
        Yes, there is some luck involved with who gets individual rain events and who doesn't but there is a lot that we can do to improve our results with our management.

Comment

Originally posted by SASKFARMER3 View Post
          Well not a big one but a bit 1/4. So. Ow total for May is 7/10
          Hey. I’d being doing back flips to get 7/10 for May

Comment

Like what Grassy cover crops? Cracks were 3 inches wide in the soil at harvest time. Left as much stubble as possible. Zero moisture to establish a cover crop. Cracks still there while seeding, had to seed on an angle as the cracks follow between stubble rows. Have had 2 tenths all spring. According to Grassy its my fault.

Comment

Call me stupid and I don't like pointing this out but many farms are seeding more this year due to the dryness....not because of land purchases .....whether its dry or not a couple timely rains and this crop could be a big one.

If not the low areas seeded will produce.

I am not saying it will be a record crop....but we have made to farm Progress show week before without a rain and pulled some good crops.

The dryness is a concern and so is the lack of subsoil moisture....the heat and wind isn't helping but thats farming ...in constant flux....sort of like watching the lava spew from the volcano in Hawaii....there is no formula or pattern to follow.

Thats what make this farming gig so addictive.....the constant change....of environment ....of jobs to be done during the day....of life moving along....

Just wish the climate change people would realize the planet will always be in a state of flux and as we move forward the environment will be better because people actually do give a shit about it but taxing it won't change it ....actions like reduced tillage or more grasslands that have been destroyed once already or different rotations .....will help.

Farmers are gladly doing their part essentially for free in Canada....while that McKenna gets paid to talk nonsense and does nothing to reduce her carbon footprint.

Why talk about this.....here is the question....what impact does the natural occurring volcano have on the climate today and into the future???? And how does mankind ..sorry... peoplekind prevent this from happening...

What is the equivalent amount of peoplekind pollution that volcano has produced?????

Much like the burning of grass like what SF3 did maybe there is a reason for these natural events to help renew the planet.
              Last edited by bucket; May 24, 2018, 07:38.

Comment

My little red disc is floating in a about a 64th of an inch. About as much as a heavy dew.

Comment

Grass you have some points that make sense yes a proper drainage plan would be excellent. Holding ponds that have spill ways and down to lakes and control spill ways he’ll im all for it as rain is attracted to forest and water. Long lake the valley or the reserve beside us all causes the rain to come or miss.

But in general one farm that gets a timely shower and one a mile away with great management that doesn’t get a rain the guy who got the rain looks like a winner due to a lucky shower.

F$&k me yea you need brains to farm and manage but funny after five or six dry years your not so smart or 10 plus flooding.

I wish when western canada was settled they had a plan for proper drainage and canals and dams etc not here is your free section and go for it.

Soaked in any way hoping for a good one from Minot today it’s swinging north

Comment

3/10" from LOUD rumbling T-Storm at 5 am. Another bunch of color building at Raymore moving north.
                    Area is 75% I am sure, canola and oats to go in. Could be a few days delay if more rain today. Usually rains when organic fellows start cultivating...
                    Last edited by fjlip; May 24, 2018, 13:14.

Comment

3.2mm in 5am thundershower here east of Mckague, that adds to the 2.0mm we got the other day, radar looks good to the south, the next round of red and orange should come right over top of us at about 12:30. We are not done but sure can use the moisture.

Comment

Originally posted by biglentil View Post
                        Like what Grassy cover crops? Cracks were 3 inches wide in the soil at harvest time. Left as much stubble as possible. Zero moisture to establish a cover crop. Cracks still there while seeding, had to seed on an angle as the cracks follow between stubble rows. Have had 2 tenths all spring. According to Grassy its my fault.
                        No, not at all biglentil, I was getting at the guys that spend years removing the water holding capacity from their land-base then complaining that they are dry - but it's just bad luck and nothing that management could have prevented.
                        For those of you in the drier areas I think the truth ultimately is that some of it should have been left as unbroken prairie. When you look at it in terms of decades or centuries anyway as there have been extended periods of drought historically where modern agriculture would not work on a good chunk of the prairies. I'm always fearful that we might return to one of these cycles.

Comment

Palliser said semi arid plain, not arable, sure proved him wrong. Perhaps we have been in a WET cycle for 50 years?

Comment

We're done , right around close is about 90% done . She was a spring to be very thankful for , and that I am . Cereals peas and canary up nicely , canola just starting to poke through

Comment

Well if this is picking up speed and strength could get interesting this after noon

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.