• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Elemental S with MAP+k

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Elemental S with MAP+k

I’m doing a blend of 20lbs of ES with 110lbs of MAP+k for the spring wheat.

The Idea being the acidic properties of the elemental might help free up some P in that seed row. The soil ph averages around 8.

I’d also like to get some extra S in the ground for the canola next year.

Anyone doing something similar?

Also note, I’m using s15 with the canola in that rotation.

What's the split on the MAP & K? At those rates you might be up to, or past, the point of diminishing returns ?

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
      What's the split on the MAP & K? At those rates you might be up to, or past, the point of diminishing returns ?
      the blend works out to 50lbs p 10lbs k 17lbs S actual.

Im trying to build the Phos levels up, but also unlock that avalability with the ES. Might be a long shot with 20 lbs of product but a much needed element for oilseeds.
      Iv been lowballing my sulphur needs for the last few years so this is an attempt to get those levels back In the soil.

I’m finding it hard to see value in AMS in comparison to the ES. The idea of having a Use for the acidic property of ES by placing it with the PHos is really just theory but I don’t see the harm in trying it.

Phos is more available in a PH range 6-7 and I’m working with 8 plus in the black.
      Last edited by workboots; Apr 23, 2018, 13:22.

Comment

For a time we were adding elemental sulfur with the phos and putting with the cereals with the same idea as you, to build S in the soil. However we were advised that banded elemental sulfur will not break down to be usable versus being surface applied S. We use S15 also on canola.

Comment

[QUOTE=jamesb;377348]

“we were advised that banded elemental sulfur will not break down to be usable versus being surface applied S”

Did they suggest why ES would be more available if broadcasted and incorporated vs banded?

I’m using the Tiger clay bentonite prills with 85% actual and hope for released over the next 4-5 years.

Supposedly the breakdown to a plant available form of sulphur is dictated by the presences of a particular bacteria in the soil. More common in high OM soil and more common if you have been using any elemental sulphur. S15 is half elemental so In assuming I have the microbes needed to break things down.

I’m not really trying to free up S for my wheat so much as I’m trying to build the S and P levels in my soil up over the next few years.

Comment

[QUOTE=workboots;377358]
            Originally posted by jamesb View Post

“we were advised that banded elemental sulfur will not break down to be usable versus being surface applied S”

Did they suggest why ES would be more available if broadcasted and incorporated vs banded?

I’m using the Tiger clay bentonite prills with 85% actual and hope for released over the next 4-5 years.

Supposedly the breakdown to a plant available form of sulphur is dictated by the presences of a particular bacteria in the soil. More common in high OM soil and more common if you have been using any elemental sulphur. S15 is half elemental so In assuming I have the microbes needed to break things down.

I’m not really trying to free up S for my wheat so much as I’m trying to build the S and P levels in my soil up over the next few years.

The person who influenced me on elemental S was Rigas Karamanos at Koch fert. I don't know if you have ever heard him speak but his thoughts on fertilizer use resonated with me.

Comment

workboots, do you rent any land and do you treat it like your own (regarding building fert reserves). You would need a long term lease to build reserves on rented land, so you are the beneciciary.

I'm not advocating for mining nutrients out of rented land though.

Comment

James does kosh have an elemental S product?

Comment

Originally posted by workboots View Post
                  James does kosh have an elemental S product?
                  I have no idea. when we used elemental S it was a tiger product. We have been using mostly S15 in recent years because we can get more phos seed placed than a sulfur and phos blend could do. On our farm we have been trying to build phosphorus levels with more soybeans in the rotation.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                  • Return to Topic List
                  Working...