• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stars Lottery Tickets

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stars Lottery Tickets

they are on sale now , if there is anyone not buying them , please consider doing so . I don't think there is a better cause for rural people and farmers to support . I mentioned before , they came out here , within 20 miles of the farm , three seperate occasions , in a two week period . One time of course was the Bronco's bus accident , which they made several trips to. This cause is just to important to miss out on ! We donate to them as well .

Neighbours yard and to Regina.

Great cause

Comment

9 years ago my wife and unborn daughter.

Comment

Yes the best cause to support.

Comment

Will do and yes, for sure when I hear them fly over leaving Regina I think about how lucky our province is to have them. I remember several energencies over the years where they would have been handy but I, myself feel that throw them in the car, drive as fast as possible was what worked for me. Sometimes if you wait for an ambulance it takes too long - Stars or no Stars. Just saying, in some cases I wouldn’t wait.

Comment

Here is another great place to donate. These guys were on the ground at the scene for hours. https://www.canadahelps.org/en/pages/support-saskatchewans-first-responders-fund/

Comment

Originally posted by wmoebis View Post
              Here is another great place to donate. These guys were on the ground at the scene for hours. https://www.canadahelps.org/en/pages/support-saskatchewans-first-responders-fund/
              thanks wmoebis . I have donated locally to this as well . people give a lot of their free time . great cause !

Comment

Local family's son is a pilot out of Regina after he retired from/survived Canadian forces chopper as a pilot.

Comment

met him at crop production show. I understand he farms a bit also ?

Comment

There is afew worthy causes that are worth supporting and some provide a chance if winning something with lotteries they hold. Bad part is for some people they may find it hard to participate in the lotteries because of ticket costs. It almost becomes an elitists lottery. Not everyone has $100 to spare for a single ticket let alone all the add-ons.

I do also support one of the less worthy groups....Friends of the Riders Lottery. I've been extremely lucky with that lotto, I won two trips with-in three years and a framed print and some hundred dollar gift cards. I might have wore out my luck with that one.

Odds on these types of lotteries are better than 6-49 or Lotto Max.

The last Regina Hospital Lottery house winner went to a deserving guy from my hometown. It's nice to see someone you know win big.

Comment

I think to media could have shone a little bit of light on STARS during this two week period of "charitable feelings". I think very few would have thought, by doing so, would be taking away from the Broncs.

caseih, I like it. Good thread.

Comment

If you really want to support a charitable cause, please consider donating directly to the charity rather than spending money on a lottery ticket. Unfortunately an average 75% of donations given through a lottery DO NOT go to the charity. It goes to prizes and lots to administration and advertising.
                        In worse cases, charities have even lost money because ticket sales did not pay for the prizes and costs of running the lottery. In 2011, a hospital foundation in BC lost 3.3 million running their lottery.

On the other hand a direct donation averages about 75% of funds actually reaching the charity. So a $100 lottery ticket may yield no more for a charity than a $33 dollar direct donation. For most people $33 is more affordable than $100.

Fortunately, Stars is one of the best supported lotteries so it usually sells out early thus cutting ad costs and therefore about 50% of money spent on Stars Lotto supports Stars. But still a direct donation would be better for Stars too. And a direct donation can be tax deductabile whereas a lotto purchase isn't.

This is somewhat dated but gives an idea of how little money charities make from lotteries.
                        https://www.charityintelligence.ca/images/2013_lottery_report_web2.pdf https://www.charityintelligence.ca/images/2013_lottery_report_web2.pdf
                        Last edited by dmlfarmer; Apr 18, 2018, 09:32.

Comment

Originally posted by dmlfarmer View Post
                          If you really want to support a charitable cause, please consider donating directly to the charity rather than spending money on a lottery ticket. Unfortunately an average 75% of donations given through a lottery DO NOT go to the charity. It goes to prizes and lots to administration and advertising.
                          In worse cases, charities have even lost money because ticket sales did not pay for the prizes and costs of running the lottery. In 2011, a hospital foundation in BC lost 3.3 million running their lottery.

On the other hand a direct donation averages about 75% of funds actually reaching the charity. So a $100 lottery ticket may yield no more for a charity than a $33 dollar direct donation. For most people $33 is more affordable than $100.

Fortunately, Stars is one of the best supported lotteries so it usually sells out early thus cutting ad costs and therefore about 50% of money spent on Stars Lotto supports Stars. But still a direct donation would be better for Stars too. And a direct donation can be tax deductabile whereas a lotto purchase isn't.

This is somewhat dated but gives an idea of how little money charities make from lotteries.
                          https://www.charityintelligence.ca/images/2013_lottery_report_web2.pdf https://www.charityintelligence.ca/images/2013_lottery_report_web2.pdf
                          thats a real good point to make . We do both every year . It sure makes sense to just donate the way you put it !

Comment

Originally posted by caseih View Post
                            thats a real good point to make . We do both every year . It sure makes sense to just donate the way you put it !
                            good for you Caseih, and THANK YOU for donating to any and all causes you support no matter if by direct donation or lottery. Any method of support of a good charity is acceptable.

It is a personal preference for me. I would rather see the maximum dollars I donate used for a charity so I donate directly. I also like the tax deduction. And given my luck, I won't win the lotto so I might as well just donate directly.

Comment

Good point dmlfarmer.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...