• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

China swings back ...

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

China swings back ...

Tariffs could include U.S. soybeans

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
    Tariffs could include U.S. soybeans
    .......and there goes canola?

Comment

rather simple china got huge on the back of lazy Americans and bad policies and politics. Let some one else build cheap shit and ship it here because were so rich we can afford it. But reality is people need to work to make money to buy things.

So hitting china could hurt farmers and Canadian Farmers a lot. USA will help theirs out and Canada will not.

Same thing as 80s here we go again.

Study history its about to happen again.

Comment

To point out the obvious, China is just posturing as it does not hold the cards here. China exports far more to the US than vice versa and needs to continue to do so as who else is going to buy it? China also has 40T of mostly US denominated debt to service so they need to export. Look for even more price rollbacks at a Wallmart near you. President Trump didn't start the trade war, he has merely responded since everybody else has played the export only game for so long through tariffs and currency devaluation.

Comment

One big difference from 80s is end of wheat board which many US growers saw as protectionism by Canada.
          Big fear is start of global trade war leading up to economic depression and other kinds of warfare.
          Would be in our best interest to concede on supply management also seen as protectionism.

Comment

Originally posted by Hopalong View Post
            One big difference from 80s is end of wheat board which many US growers saw as protectionism by Canada.
            Big fear is start of global trade war leading up to economic depression and other kinds of warfare.
            Would be in our best interest to concede on supply management also seen as protectionism.
            that will never happen as most of the supply management is in Quebec

Comment

For the record, China already has had for a long time an import tariff on soybeans at 3% so soy tariffs are not new. Mind you that is one third of the tariff on imported canola seed at 9%. Oil and meal also faces tariffs. Source: Canola council of Canada. Don't know why so many are pro communist China which never has been a free trader.
              Last edited by ajl; Mar 23, 2018, 10:31.

Comment

Originally posted by caseih View Post
                that will never happen as most of the supply management is in Quebec
                I wonder if this has the same implications as it had 20 or 30 years ago.

What do you see as significant about it being held by Quebec?

I see the separatism threat as being less of a lever than it once was.

Comment

Meal rallying today on ideas 'China threatened tariff on U.S. pork' may force more hogs to be fed out in China. If this is a correct assumption, a tariff on U.S. soybeans would seem quite unlikely (IMO).

Implications of this brewing trade war is a guessing game at-best right now . . . .

Comment

Originally posted by errolanderson View Post
                    Meal rallying today on ideas 'China threatened tariff on U.S. pork' may force more hogs to be fed out in China. If this is a correct assumption, a tariff on U.S. soybeans would seem quite unlikely (IMO).

Implications of this brewing trade war is a guessing game at-best right now . . . .
                    China is rolling out the Petro Yuan next week. This trade war is not a coincidence. Got gold?

Comment

Petro Yawns? I won't accept them will you? Fact all China's supply of USD is going to pay interest on $USD denominated debt so it is forcing Yawns on Russia and Saudi whether they want them or not taking both of those nations down with it. Actually the US ships energy including oil and NG to China right now and they get paid in $USD. This is a great opportunity. I am trying to lift my US market portfolio insurance now (sell an inverse ETF) and buy some more US assets.

Comment

Originally posted by ajl View Post
                        Petro Yawns? I won't accept them will you? Fact all China's supply of USD is going to pay interest on $USD denominated debt so it is forcing Yawns on Russia and Saudi whether they want them or not taking both of those nations down with it. Actually the US ships energy including oil and NG to China right now and they get paid in $USD. This is a great opportunity. I am trying to lift my US market portfolio insurance now (sell an inverse ETF) and buy some more US assets.
                        They can accept physical delivery of gold for their oil through the Shanghai Gold exchange.
                        Last edited by biglentil; Mar 23, 2018, 13:19.

Comment

This is exactly what we need, Disruptive uncertainty in the world. Maybe wake up a few paper pushers to the idea that food wont always be a click away. China will not tariff US beans they need US beans. Brazil and Argentina are still somewhat unreliable sources for the Chinese compared to USA.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                          • Return to Topic List
                          Working...