• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WOW 40,000 acre organic Waldron sask

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WOW 40,000 acre organic Waldron sask

Is it possible to do this well on such a large scale

https://www.producer.com/2018/03/40000-acre-farm-goes-organic/

Sounds like a lot of rock picking involved.

It's ironic how you break up pasture because you can turn it into certified organic quicker.

Iceman Out

Comment

I think there are ways to do it. Not the way that has been tried though. There are better ways to make it work, than what most of us see from the road.

Comment

I bet Hobbyfarmer is that big too! He just doesn't want us to know so always tells us about his old equipment and weed problems.

Comment

Wishing him the best but that is most likely not the best land if it was pasture. If it is light land and he has to do a lot of tillage and it is dry he will know why it was pasture.

He will likely have extra bin space.

Comment

Son of the x Deere dealership owner in moosimin I’m thinking. just saying follow the money

Comment

Strngr

Think that a lot of that land was in Alfalfa/hay. 3 years , then can call organic

Comment

He's backstopped by a very large landowner in Canada.....

Comment

It would be quite a thing if he added 40 000 head of cattle for manure. Interesting thing to watch anyways. I think organic food has its place in society but at this time I don't want anything to do with growing it.

Iceman Out

Comment

Im not anti organic if you can make it work.

A guy not to far away drier area his yields at best 2/3 every body elses often only half but geez he cleans up price wise and his bottom line may not be much different. Smaller farmer but works for him and hes not a chest beater gotta do it this way save the planet type, got asked by someone heck maybe 25/30 years ago maybe even longer can you grow me 20t of high quality wheat with no chems.

Ok i will give it a go, no accreditation as such back then and the flour mill paid him from my fading memory in excess of triple the going price and it all stemmed from a off the cuff request.

Organic meat doesnt command quite the premium and wine the same. But grain legumes canola gangbuster prices

Comment

S/F did you come from a JD dealership at one time? I could be wrong in asking , but just asking .

Comment

From the article: “Conventional doesn’t make sense unless you have the best land in the area"

That seems to be completely backwards to me. In my experiment, the best land can handle the repeated tillage much better, has more nutrients and organic matter to burn, and is worth investing the time and money required to transition to organic. But I may be looking at it wrong.

I'm not very familiar with the area, it may be excellent soil, but looking at google earth, there is so many potholes that anything bigger than a 10 foot cultivator wouldn't fit between most of them. Although the image may have been taken during one of the extended wet years lately? That might be part of the reason why some of it was in pasture.

He is probably correct that he would need 40,000 cows to make enough manure to fertilize 40,000 acres, but that won't leave many acres for crop land, if each cow needs 4 acres for pasture and winter feed, that is 160,000 acres for the cattle, 40,000-160,000= -120,000 acres left over to grow crops on. Negative acres aren't all that productive. Grassfarmer, you appear to be very productive and use intensive grazing, how many acres per cow year round? Can you pasture and raise feed for 160 cows on a quarter section?
                        My conclusion is that the only way organic is remotely sustainable on my soil, is to have enough cows to be able to keep most of the nutrients from leaving the farm.

Comment

Originally posted by iceman View Post
                          Sounds like a lot of rock picking involved.

It's ironic how you break up pasture because you can turn it into certified organic quicker.

Iceman Out
                          Then put a green label on the resulting product because it is environmentally friendly.

Comment

There will be organic N-P-K -S within two years , commercially. Probably some already , others may confirm or not
                            Weed control via bio Ag within a few years as well..
                            I could be wrong but this is what is possible , it’s coming faster than we think.

Comment

Oh by the way, that may help orangics just a bit . Like it or not , the consumer wants it ... the hate for GMO is gone too far , or not , we just don’t want to admit it in general, right or wrong it does not matter anymore. When you look at the ramped up commercial production of South America , and Russia alone , we are a back flipped Turtle here in Canada now .
                              We better be thinking differently than what’s being pushed here .
                              Zero , as in Zero money in transportation to infrastructure for grain / commodity transportation has been done in years. Other than just enough to barely maintain what’s left of rail . Bucket is one of few that gets it .
                              It was stripped to the bone while the rest of the the world has been ramping up huge. Which Klause has tried to point out many times , Blythe to get punched down always .
                              And too boot we are an export nation ...it’s fuki retarded .....
                              should we send it via Fed Ex ???? 🙈

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.