• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ducks Unlimited

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ducks Unlimited

Hard to get a handle on how much land Ducks Unlimited owns in prairie provinces.
    Has become an active land buyer in our area starting ten years or so back.
    Have two of their water retention projects on our farm, date back two or three decades.
    Also own land adjacent to ours, wildlife reserve land in areas as well.
    Some concerns about increased salinity due to higher water table around projects, also attract beavers which are a curse.
    Provincial compensation for wildlife damage is a help but seldom covers whole cost and is time consuming to track and report.
    Urban residents and non farmers want us to save bush and wetlands and wildlife but may not appreciate costs to a farming operation.

Beavers are a curse alright.
    Ducks Unlimited are an even bigger curse.

Comment

DU and beavers worst nightmare 😉

Dad having fun getting rid of the “weeds”

We don’t have any DU land out here but too many beavers. The .243 or hoe is our preferred control method. We build our own dams or dugouts and don’t like them messing things up.

Comment

For the beavers, you need to simply find a motivated young guy like me who likes to trap them. They are very easy to trap out, and in our rm are worth 35 bucks a tail. Hard to find those guys, though.

I like my wild lands, and du paid me for some of the seed costs to seed down land to hay. I am good with that.

Comment

I like the looks of that toy woodland and could use one around here. Is it a six or a seven?

The cab looks like it would be nice on a cold day but you must have to be very careful to not break windows when tramping down bush.

Get rid of the habitat and the pests should leave.

Comment

Ducks unlimited is amazing, they can gets all kinds of donation money from all walks of life in the interest to save wetlands and water birds. Sounds honorable but it is basically founded and ran by hunters to increase the populations and area for hunters. I bet they don't have a slideshow of dead ducks and hunters at their urban fundraisers!

Comment

.....never sign anything that causes you to lose control of your land....no amount of money from such groups is worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
                .....never sign anything that causes you to lose control of your land....no amount of money from such groups is worth it.
                Agree.

Comment

Originally posted by Sheepwheat View Post
                  Agree.
                  ducks can go to hell. should be baned from owning land in the RM. rather have one earth farms move in next to me.

Comment

Originally posted by seldomseen View Post
                    I like the looks of that toy woodland and could use one around here. Is it a six or a seven?

The cab looks like it would be nice on a cold day but you must have to be very careful to not break windows when tramping down bush.

Get rid of the habitat and the pests should leave.
                    Seldom it is a 8n and after the 6c died again we found it at Ritchie’s. The idiot before us removed the outer air filter and the inner was collapsed with a three inch hole😳. Runs fine though for now.

Twenty years ago deer were a huge problem with destroying bales, crops, swath grazing electric fences, etc.....

Then they suddenly disappeared but started back again this year and brought elk as well. We let everyone that wants to hunt on our place have at em but they seem to be winning.

Beavers are a constant problem although I’d rather have them than DU as a neighbor.

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
                      Agree with everyone. There’s already restrictions(caveats) on every quarter of ours except one from everything else like gas lines, power lines, oil leases, building restrictions from the neighboring coal mine........don’t need any voluntary ones added.

Comment

*** the ducks 🦆

Comment

Ohh , and all the city boys pretend hunters shoving agricultural regulations down our throats .... really ? Just so they can have the opportunity to go duck shooting once or twice a year ? Think about it .

Comment

I agree with the goals Ducks are aiming to achieve but not with how they manage land in practice. Beavers are awesome riparian managers and I have no problems with them as long as you keep enough coyotes around.

I prefer grain farmers as neighbours though - they send me their water and topsoil for free !!

Comment

enough nature land in canada already that wil never be farmed or developed. **** DU lets farm every acre we can

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.