• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Costs of growing wheat around the world

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Costs of growing wheat around the world

Got this graph from an interesting article in Country Guide March 13 issue. Article titled Compete and Win page 18-20. Argentina in the red by the looks of things and surprised me that CDN/US production costs higher than EU.

An interesting paragraph on farming in Russia after the SU ended explaining how if there were 1000 employees on a 10,000 acre farm they each got title to 10 acres and the idea was they'd farm together with part ownership.

"But in most cases it wasn't sustainable. The massive, almost monopolistic grain trading/elevator/processor and poultry companies began ratcheting all the margins out of the system. Since these companies were the only game in town, farmers had no other choice but to sell to them. Not surprisingly after a few years the farmers ran out of operating cash so the sole elevator (and processor, poultry company and trader) in the area financed their inputs and then gently squeezed the margins tighter again. When drought inevitably hammered an area the farmers couldn't pay back the company, and the company got the farms......."

Europe's income doesn't surprise me at all, but it's costs compared to N.A. do.

N.A. & Australia's costs compared to Argentina and Russia might be explained by the "maturity" of the "Industries" in the former versus latter countries. How do you explain Europe's costs then?

Comment

production costs per ha per tonne ??? thats appear to be a bit airy fairy and really means nothing

Youve seen this before from me condensed version.

Land values factored in etc etc

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capturegmwheat.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	766347

Comment

Originally posted by malleefarmer View Post
        production costs per ha per tonne ??? thats appear to be a bit airy fairy and really means nothing
        The way it's written with mention of cost per tonne difference between Canada and Russia you'd assume it is cost per tonne.
        Substantially higher yield relative to land cost in Europe perhaps fama?

Comment

Originally posted by grassfarmer View Post
          The way it's written with mention of cost per tonne difference between Canada and Russia you'd assume it is cost per tonne.
          Substantially higher yield relative to land cost in Europe perhaps fama?

Also 2016 was the last year of the Kirchner regeime and 30% export tax on wheat in Argy.

Comment

I had this on my bulletin board since 1992Click image for larger version

Name:	034.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	766349

Comment

Thanks for sharing this information, I find it very interesting.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
              • Return to Topic List
              Working...