• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

batteries . . .lack of quality

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

batteries . . .lack of quality

What brand of automotive or agriculture batteries have you had the best luck with, back in the 70's and 80's deere batteries would last 8 to 10 years, since most manufacturing went overseas, kitchen appliances and battery life is about half. Sad.

Cat batteries. And for the price, they had better last. Or the gel batteries.

Comment

Originally posted by rumrocks View Post
      What brand of automotive or agriculture batteries have you had the best luck with, back in the 70's and 80's deere batteries would last 8 to 10 years, since most manufacturing went overseas, kitchen appliances and battery life is about half. Sad.
      Good point , we buy garbage now at premium cost ...

Comment

John Deere batteries still seem to be quality. I think you want the "strongbox" labeled ones though. Not the ones with the JD sticker covering up the "made in china" stamp.
        Prairie battery sells good batteries too.
        Probably the worst experiences the last few years has come from "Part Master" batteries.

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
          Good point , we buy garbage now at premium cost ...
          Interstate Battery's new motto?

Where did the 60 or 72 month free replacement go? Used to get group 31 interstates (at a premium price of course) that would last 8-10 years or longer. Last two sets in my pete lasted less than 2 years. 2nd made it just over 18mths before it boiled 1 of them and chewed the shit out of everything in my battery box. Warranty is 18mths. Plate breaks inside and internally shorts every time!

If I'm going to get cheap batteries I might as well pay the cheap price.

Comment

Originally posted by helmsdale View Post
            Interstate Battery's new motto?

Where did the 60 or 72 month free replacement go? Used to get group 31 interstates (at a premium price of course) that would last 8-10 years or longer. Last two sets in my pete lasted less than 2 years. 2nd made it just over 18mths before it boiled 1 of them and chewed the shit out of everything in my battery box. Warranty is 18mths. Plate breaks inside and internally shorts every time!

If I'm going to get cheap batteries I might as well pay the cheap price.
            x2

And I've been told by one retailer who has toured a large manufacturer of batteries that you are basically buying a generic Group 31.....when it gets sent to the dealers they will apply the applicable sticker(s).

Comment

How is any manufacturer, wholesaler or retailer going to make any money handling/selling batteries that last 8-10 years?

It's the way of the world, the ever shrinking package sizes and dumbing down of quality that most consumers aren't even aware of.

"Less for more", a concept primary ag producers should adopt for grain production. Ya right, I didn't have any caffeine yet this morning to clear the sleep cob webs, or still must be dreaming.

Comment

Originally posted by Jay-mo View Post
                Prairie battery sells good batteries too.
                I like them.

Comment

We've been using A/C Delco for quite a while now. Not too bad. I would think the biggest mistake anyone could make is putting a light duty battery in a heavy duty application that needs to stand up to shock and vibration. Also undersized batteries(cranking requirements and reserve capacity) for tough applications.

I have no experience with the new types, only the standard lead wet acid types.

Comment

Costco. for autos much cheaper than any where else.

I changed all my equipment to top post bolt terminal and use HD truck batteries.

Comment

I would agree with Costco for batteries if they will fit the requirement.

For those complaining about batteries and failure, are you sure there isn't a slow current drain coming from something?

I think the best thing for seasonal equipment is the master switch cutting the power at the battery

Comment

Originally posted by Richard5 View Post
                        I would agree with Costco for batteries if they will fit the requirement.

For those complaining about batteries and failure, are you sure there isn't a slow current drain coming from something?

I think the best thing for seasonal equipment is the master switch cutting the power at the battery
                        Very good advice, modern equipment has so many parasitic draws, it is a must to disconnect batteries, or maintain them during the off season.
                        I have a quad battery which must be close to 20 years old and still going strong, charge it occasionally during the winter, use it every day all summer, most ATV batteries barely last more than a season due to going dead all winter.

Comment

Costco batteries have been good for pickup trucks
                          Deer batteries ok lots of trouble with interstate batteries and won’t buy them anymore

Comment

Originally posted by rumrocks View Post
                            AGMs. Pay the extra. Worth every penny.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                            • Return to Topic List
                            Working...
                            X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                            You agree to our and by clicking I agree.