• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thinking of a used/old planter

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thinking of a used/old planter

I am kicking around the idea of a planter for row cropping.
    I think I dont need a new elaborate one for starters, this would be more of a small scale R and D project .
    I dont really know how they work. Seeds fall into a metering plate then releases the seed down the chute to the seed run?
    Is there anything on the prairies or should I just go straight to the US?

Originally posted by hobbyfrmr View Post
    I think I dont need a new elaborate one for starters, this would be more of a small scale R and D project .
    I dont really know how they work. Seeds fall into a metering plate then releases the seed down the chute to the seed run?

Maybe you can get a grant like the BIG boys.

Comment

Haukos Brothers in Minnesota come pretty well recommended and they deliver just about anywhere. I’d suggest a White 6100 series for a starter planter, you can get plates to plant just about anything accurately with them and they’re simple

Comment

If you want to go to a plateless planter, the John Deere 7000 are about the best and most simple one out there.

The seed units are completely rebuildable and will plant any size of corn seed. The finger unit unbolt with about 3, maybe 4 bolts (I think) and the bean cups are easy to reinstall.

They've been around for almost 40 years? And keep on ticking...

Obviously not a high speed machine, but very accurate if maintained.

Comment

Hobby what crops and spacing were you thinking of trying? Kinda thought of something similar but never got the idea any further.

Comment

I have seeded canola with a JD 1770 which is pretty much the same as the older 7200. It is a vacuum planter so it used vacuum on the back of a seed disk with holes to suck up the canola seed. The disk turns and a brush knocks the seed off at the top of a seed tube and the seed falls into the furrow. Need custom disks and there is an outfit in Manitoba that makes them. (RRV) A planter can seed pretty much anything. The canola was somewhat picket fence when it came up.

Comment

I'm curious of what you are planning. Are you really planting row crops or trying to interrow cultivate other crops?

Comment

Don't do it. Plants will be too evenly spaced. Neighbours will talk witchcraft rumors. Wide spaces allow soil pulverizing row cultivators to pass. Row crops = no profit. Corn just gets tall and you can't see indigenous raiders coming down the lane to get you. Don't go down this path. You will be sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Braveheart View Post
                  Don't do it. Plants will be too evenly spaced. Neighbours will talk witchcraft rumors. Wide spaces allow soil pulverizing row cultivators to pass. Row crops = no profit. Corn just gets tall and you can't see indigenous raiders coming down the lane to get you. Don't go down this path. You will be sorry.
                  Malachi and the rest of the children are the real risk

Comment

Haha. Hollywoods new sequel: Children of the Beans.

Comment

Where have I seen advice/sarcasm such as this before ??😎

Comment

Originally posted by woodland View Post
                        Hobby what crops and spacing were you thinking of trying? Kinda thought of something similar but never got the idea any further.
                        I dont spend much time thinking about it but then I was resding about hemp planted on 15 inch spacings. A 12 inch cultivator shovel beween the rows for a couple of passes and then it should take off and choke out the remaining competing weeds.
                        Or else 12 inch spacings with 8 inch shovels. Or else keeping 8 inch spacings and buy an inter row cultivator with cameras and hydraulic shift to till between the rows. I dont recall the brand name but is was impressive. $110,000 was the price and that curbed my ambition.

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
                          I'm curious of what you are planning. Are you really planting row crops or trying to interrow cultivate other crops?
                          No real row crops.
                          Mostly inter row cultivate.
                          I have been broadcasting hemp with reasonable success but Ive been talking to farmers who plant with wider spacings and till in between.

Comment

LOL!! A swig of my own medicine!!!

Comment

No real row crops.
                              Mostly inter row cultivate.
                              I have been broadcasting hemp with reasonable success but Ive been talking to farmers who plant with wider spacings and till in between.
                              So, if spacing along the row isn't vital, or depth, why not save the money and just plug some runs on your existing seeder and accomplish the same thing for free?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...