• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Feed Barley

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feed Barley

haven't grown feed barley for a few years , can anyone tell me what some of the higher yielding varieties are ? thanks

Originally posted by caseih View Post
    haven't grown feed barley for a few years , can anyone tell me what some of the higher yielding varieties are ? thanks
    Don’t grow champion. No matter what. Austenson is one I am looking at. Might try rosser, a smooth awned six row, might work for swath grazing sheep as well.
    Last edited by Sheepwheat; Feb 19, 2018, 19:37.

Comment

Why not champion?

Comment

Originally posted by Sheepwheat View Post
        Don’t grow champion. No matter what. Austenson is one I am looking at. Might try rosser, a smooth awned six row, might work for swath grazing sheep as well.
        What do you have against Champion? I haven't grown itdueto its disease susceptibility ratings, but it is really popular.

Comment

Haven't found any new varieites yet that outperform Vivar and Thompson in our wet climate. Sundre has huge potential, if leaf disease doesn't destroy it.

Comment

I grew champion three times. Every time, the straw broke down badly halfway up the stem, and I lost piles of yield. I straight cut, and it was plain nasty. First year i thought it was conditions. Second try, I thought it was hail related. Third year I clued in. It is very weak strewed. Lots of yield potential, but only if you have a vacuum header to pluck the heads off the ground. I highly do not recommend it, unless you swath it long before it gets even close to half ripe.

Comment

How much higher would these feed varieties yield vs Copeland?

Just a question but would just growing Copeland be an option and have the option of selling as malt or feed? (Seems to yield well)

Comment

Originally posted by Oliver88 View Post
                How much higher would these feed varieties yield vs Copeland?

Just a question but would just growing Copeland be an option and have the option of selling as malt or feed? (Seems to yield well)
                That's what we've done last couple years, gives you options. In our area it's likely only a couple percent less yield but is a bit later and seed will cost you a couple bucks more. Feed barley here is mostly austenson, coalition, champion and Thompson. All pretty good varieties but you gotta know what works in your area and some do better than others depending on the amount of groceries.

Comment

We’ve had very good yield with Champion and heavy kernel weight 55 lb/bu and up. Seems to be prone to ergot more than any barley grown here recently. Year & timing can play into that I suppose. It grows pretty tall in this area and can lodge with a heavy rain.

Canmore is close to the same yield with a better disease package. Couple neighbours happily growing it.

Comment

remember when i was a young fella 80s/90s you guys will correct me but australias main competitor in malt barley was harrington canadian malt barley.

guess its been superceded 10 times over by now

Comment

Originally posted by malleefarmer View Post
                      remember when i was a young fella 80s/90s you guys will correct me but australias main competitor in malt barley was harrington canadian malt barley.

guess its been superceded 10 times over by now
                      no we grew it up until 10-15 yrs ago , and metcalfe ever since

Comment

no we grew it up until 10-15 yrs ago , and metcalfe ever since
                        Wasn't Harrington so disease susceptible? We grew it before fungicide apps were commonly practiced around here.

Comment

Harrington, yes often the head was just emerging at the time the last leaf was browning off.
                          Still a few acres reported.

I have no experience with Synergy, but the disease package looks really good on paper. As mentioned if the plan is to go for max yield and sell into the feed market then a feed variety might be a better choice.

Anyone ever grow Conlon? Was always a solid variety but never widely grown. Huge seed. Seed heavy

Comment

We grew champion for a few yers and noticed that you would lose heads if you let it stand too long. Had only a few days to get it knocked down. Same trouble as sheepwheat so moved to CDC austenson. A little better yielder for our area as well.

Comment

Originally posted by farming101 View Post
                              Harrington, yes often the head was just emerging at the time the last leaf was browning off.
                              Still a few acres reported.

I have no experience with Synergy, but the disease package looks really good on paper. As mentioned if the plan is to go for max yield and sell into the feed market then a feed variety might be a better choice.

Anyone ever grow Conlon? Was always a solid variety but never widely grown. Huge seed. Seed heavy
                              Yes Conlon is a big seed, can weigh super heavy too. We use it when we get late seeding, had a wet chunk last year, seeded middle of June and was still ready same time as mid may seeded other varieties. Yields a bit less but early maturity is worth something.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...