• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Poplar trees

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Poplar trees

The next crop for Saskatchewan? Poplar are easy to grow in a short time. Especially black poplar.

https://www.umdrightnow.umd.edu/news/umd-researchers-create-super-wood-stronger-most-metals
    Last edited by parsley; Feb 18, 2018, 09:33.

Now that's a long term crop rotation.....I'll be dead before harvest time.

Comment

You won't be able to compete with government and their dirt cheap crown wood at $2 a cord.

Comment

While we are in the process of commercializing my worst weed, why stop at poplars, why not find a market for thistles too?

Comment

Does this mean the next F150 will be made out of wood? Everything comes back into fashion I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by biglentil View Post
            Does this mean the next F150 will be made out of wood? Everything comes back into fashion I guess.
            Poplar have saved me a lot of money on farm buildings over the years, I just need to start building faster so I can get ahead of them. Just brought another 3000 bf home from the mill last week

Comment

I need to buy saplings we’re do you get them now the pfra tree nursery is gone?

Comment

Originally posted by SASKFARMER3 View Post
                I need to buy saplings we’re do you get them now the pfra tree nursery is gone?
                If you really want to import weeds, you can dig all the poplar saplings you want here. Should be declared a noxious weed though.

Comment

Quick shelter belt after flood years killed most of our trees. Spruce took it hard also

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
                    If you really want to import weeds, you can dig all the poplar saplings you want here. Should be declared a noxious weed though.

I find they’re the worst weed to deal with. Lots of cows or a Cat (not the meow kind) are the only way to deal with them. Dad is cleaning up a couple of miles of old fence line and we will be using a disc or chemical to make sure they don’t come back. Thistle is a cake walk and a lot cheaper to deal with than these creeping nightmares. Once planted you would never have to plant them again even after “harvesting” them.

P.S. I hate trees being remotely close to any fence since the wire seems to have a magnetic pull on rotten trees.

Comment

Originally posted by woodland View Post
                      I find they’re the worst weed to deal with. Lots of cows or a Cat (not the meow kind) are the only way to deal with them. Dad is cleaning up a couple of miles of old fence line and we will be using a disc or chemical to make sure they don’t come back. Thistle is a cake walk and a lot cheaper to deal with than these creeping nightmares. Once planted you would never have to plant them again even after “harvesting” them.

P.S. I hate trees being remotely close to any fence since the wire seems to have a magnetic pull on rotten trees.
                      Poplars cost me more than any other weed, insect, pest, disease or wildlife every year. Between sucking all the water for >50 feet in every direction, shading the crop, falling on the crop, falling on the fence and letting cows into a crop, damaging equipment trying to get close enough to keep them from encroaching, and harbouring the enemy(deer and moose), I'm not a big fan. But unfortunately, all the neighbors are.

Comment

Didn’t that wizard Lorne Calvert try to tell us to diversify into poplar trees 20 years ago ? Not great if you have to wait 15 years to put food on the table for your family in between time though 👎.

Comment

The last land i bought the poplars were suckered 200 yards into the field, a 100 dollars of diesel fuel an acre and that in parts and beer and time they are nomya, uke for no more.

Comment

before i did my land clearing project i tried to sell to the poplar mill. they told me my trees were to short, story of my life.

Comment

I agree poplars can be a pain in the ass but they are the only trees that are dependable here. Our yard is completely surrounded by them and cows spend most storms in the bush instead of the bedding pack. Hardly know what wind is if you got them. Non stop job picking up dead fall though, we burn dead fall and don't think I'll live long enough to run out of wood, screw the carbon tax!

Sheep or goats work great to get rid of trees, they eat the leaves and peel the bark, dead in no time and they don't seem to come back too bad afterwards.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...